Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    So many "buddys" and "people i know" and never any first hand accounts of problems in this thread. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I work at a hill with a fixed grip. we often take foot passengers. The lift does not stop. The bottom station contacts the top with the chair number. The lift operator slows down the chair and is outside to assist. When I am there on patrol I meet the chair. If the above picture is accurate I am amazed at the location of the lift shack. I have not been to many resorts but I always thought the lift shack is on the same side as the offload to assist easier. Our lift shack is located in the center.
    That top station is a joke it is in no way set up for foot travel.

That pic does not lie.

Silverton being sued -- time to hurry up and get down there

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Seems so easy to cheaply fix it. .
    The rough around the edges image is all part of the Silverton appeal.
    A few shitters, rickety chairlift, canvas lodge, old school buses and milk trucks shuttling you around, it's what makes the place sweet.
    You have to cross a creek by foot when you're done skiing Colorado & the Stooges. It's not because there too cheap to buy a few 8x8s...

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    Hardly an issue. What they checked your lift ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

Passing a state inspection is meaningless unless the inspection specifically addressed the issue of offloading on foot.
    There’s ANSI and ASTM standards as well as regulations in Colorado that cover this as well as the forest service SUP as well as the ski areas lift operations manual should spell out exactly how this is done, part of the lift inspection in this state ( Washington )covers written operational plans I’m guess Colorado has something similar in place, my guess is Silverton will pay
    Last edited by snoqpass; 11-30-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Wouldn't a lift like that be checked regularly by the State? Those guard rails aren't even up to code and the platform is made up of thin aspen logs

Brills and others worked super hard to build that place. And it is amazing things have gone as well as they have safety wise. I know they've pissed some people off...
    I've had hellaciously good times there, so much so I complained bitterly when (winter) unguided went away and prices rose because it meant I couldn't play.
    It would be a shame to see it go under. It would be a shame for skiers, a shame for Silverton, and a shame for all those that made the place what it is.
    Mistakes were made and they cost a lady her independence, mobility, and so much more.
    It is a shame what that lady has to go through the rest of her life.
    I hope insurance makes things as good as can be for her and that Silverton Mountain lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Brills and others worked super hard to build that place. And it is amazing things have gone as well as they have safety wise. I know they've pissed some people off...
    I've had hellaciously good times there, so much so I complained bitterly when (winter) unguided went away and prices rose because it meant I couldn't play.
    It would be a shame to see it go under. It would be a shame for skiers, a shame for Silverton, and a shame for all those that made the place what it is.
    Mistakes were made and they cost a lady her independence, mobility, and so much more.
    I hope insurance makes things as good as can be for her and that Silverton Mountain lives.
    This sums up my thoughts on it perfectly. I love the raw feel of this place and desperately hope they have enough insurance in place to weather this.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    It reminds me of skiing at La Grave - the mid mountain loading station, the shitty infrastructure, shots at the top station way after the téléphérique shut down. That said, getting off the lift at Silverton with your pack on one hand and your poles in the other is usually the crux of the run....
    Last edited by sfotex; 12-01-2017 at 05:06 PM.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    The people who run that place are total hacks. I'm shocked that their heads aren't on pikes at the entrance to town, everyone I met there had nothing but terrible things to say about the Brills.
    Sounds fucking sick bro

I gotta hit it
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Sounds fucking sick bro

I gotta hit it
    Come here and make it off chair 2 before talking shit. I offered you a ride from the airport if needed. Take it and don't be a bitch

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Come here and make it off chair 2 before talking shit. I offered you a ride from the airport if needed. Take it and don't be a bitch
    You live near Silverton now

No chair exists that I can't ski

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using TGR Forums mobile app
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

seattle bro

come hit some green insteada them CI’s

CODS

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    You live near Silverton now

No chair exists that I can't ski

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using TGR Forums mobile app
    Nope still in the pnw. Come ski here. Prove yourself.

The kids get to ride the upper chair once they surpass 3/10. Can you hang?

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    It reminds me of skiing at La Grave - the mid mountain loading station, the shitty infrastructure, shots at the top station way after the cable cars shut down. That said, getting off the lift at Silverton with your pack on one hand and your poles in the other is usually the crux of the run....
    Definitely similarities with LG in that kind of vibe

Descending LG by headlamp after the big bottle of genepe passed around is interesting

Ok now I am jonesing for LG
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

since I know lots about insurance I'll tell you what I think, but most of my insurance knowledge is limited to making sure someone pays the bill every month

they have a liability policy but it's capped on how much it will pay out, ie if I cause bodily damage to someone my policy will only pay out 1 million bucks

so insurance will pay, but someone else will have to come up with the rest, the owners have no say in anything, the insurance company will make all the decisions for them with their lawyers

Their rates will then go through the roof after the settlement, that's if anyone will insure them after the case is settled, most insurance companies will settle out of court and as fast as they can, twenty years ago they used to hem and haw about paying and would fight anything, these days they write a check and have people sign away their rights to make any claims against the defendant quickly

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    knowledge is limited to making sure someone pays the bill every month
    so you're a a paid thug?

that's handy to know we've gots one of those around here
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    since I know lots about insurance I'll tell you what I think, but most of my insurance knowledge is limited to making sure someone pays the bill every month

they have a liability policy but it's capped on how much it will pay out, ie if I cause bodily damage to someone my policy will only pay out 1 million bucks

so insurance will pay, but someone else will have to come up with the rest, the owners have no say in anything, the insurance company will make all the decisions for them with their lawyers

Their rates will then go through the roof after the settlement, that's if anyone will insure them after the case is settled, most insurance companies will settle out of court and as fast as they can, twenty years ago they used to hem and haw about paying and would fight anything, these days they write a check and have people sign away their rights to make any claims against the defendant quickly
    So yeah pretty much how insurance works for everyone and everything. Thanks for the knowledge extremely enlightening.

What we don't know is what their cap and if they have extended their policies in any way to protect themselves.

That download ramp is scary period. They wanted people to walk down that? Even with the chair stopped that would be dicey. Build an effin snowbank to the side and cut some snow stairs into it. Better just don't do scenic tours.

Would be a shame if a stupid marketing decision closes a resort like this.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Hope they survive the litigation, Silverton has a lot of radness and is unique.

The unload is pretty tame compared to some of the fixed grip chairs I grew up riding as a kid, but if you are going to allow foot traffic then there really should have been a little more awareness on their part.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I'd say it's unlikely Silverton has a policy that has a lower cap for bodily injury as compared to some other type of liability; injury resulting in paralysis is one of the highest-exposure risks of running a ski resort.

You guys are pussies. That's not that bad. It offloads directly at an uphill wall of snow and the chair runs slow as fuck. I've always seen a lift op working the top and standing on the platform to the left. I've seen offload ramps at Mt Baker that are steeper and worse than that. Sure, maybe it's not a Vail style lift where it comes to a goddamned stop before you gently stand up and scoot away. But it's not that that fucking hairy.

This place is getting soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Hope they survive the litigation, Silverton has a lot of radness and is unique.
    This, and I hope for the best for the women as well.

The unload is pretty tame compared to some of the fixed grip chairs I grew up riding as a kid, but if you are going to allow foot traffic then there really should have been a little more awareness on their part.
    And, g-bus, no shit.
    The old school baker lift ramps early season come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    loft op
    Freudian slip?

surprise this hasn't been resolved out of court, though it still could be.

but if a judgement against the ski area occurs, its very doubtful it would cause the current owner to go under. even if it did, its not like the ski area would sit idle or go away forever.