Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Please say more. I can't wait to hear from all the self-appointed "insurance experts" here. Or the National Lawyers Guild frauds. That stuff kicks ass.
    Thanks for the vote you old assed fuckstick.

I don't and have never claimed to be a Liar.... oops I men Lawyer, same thing really.

Just 34 years in the Ski Industry and with years of risk management experience. But again, what do I know.

I think they will probably settle and that yes, they fucked up big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Things like this make me wonder about their helicopter......
    If they're not following FAA maintenance requirements they're just asking for trouble. A little more strict than the DMV.

That heli is their baby. I'd be really surprised if it isn't well maintained.

Knowing nothing about this operation, I would be surprised if they owned the heli. No one fucking owns their own heli, they are all wet leased from actual aviation companies.

as the saying goes ... if it floats, flies or fucks. Rent it.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Knowing nothing about this operation, I would be surprised if they owned the heli. No one fucking owns their own heli, they are all wet leased from actual aviation companies.

as the saying goes ... if it floats, flies or fucks. Rent it.
    Yeah, this. Just going off internet pic it looks like they lease it from JR Heli Leasing. They have the other Yellow one in AK leased through someone else. Easy with a N# search

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...mbertxt=N350VR

on the surface the operation may seem a little loose but their snow safety program is nothing short of amazing. What they do there is hard to believe.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I'm guessing guides wearing ski boots don't get to fly the heli very often.

Looking at that offload ramp, i'm guessing that the insurance company didn't do an on site inspection prior to issuing the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Misjudged her ability to exit the chairlift? We're talking about a sightseer who quite possibly had never been on a chairlift before, and very likely had never tried to exit one on foot. How is she supposed to judge her ability to exit when she has no idea what she is facing? As far as the lady is concerned this was an amusement park ride, not something that required some degree of athletic skill. My guess is that that is the standard Silverton will be held to.
    True...but you don't sign releases for amusement park rides either
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Some people get dizzy at altitude.... there are lots of reasons why someone cold fall... maybe her kid tripped her as they exited ,accidently...I think something not in the story is missing> that was a radical injury for someone exiting a lift, in familiar or not.
    Not raggin on the victim, but she would never freely admit to the press ,she had altitude sickness when she exited.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    Some people get dizzy at altitude.... there are lots of reasons why someone cold fall... maybe her kid tripped her as they exited ,accidently...I think something not in the story is missing> that was a radical injury for someone exiting a lift, in familiar or not.
    Not raggin on the victim, but she would never freely admit to the press ,she had altitude sickness when she exited.
    She was from Durango and allegedly was a pretty fit athlete. I have a feeling that altitude wasn't the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    She was from Durango and allegedly was a pretty fit athlete. I have a feeling that altitude wasn't the issue.
    Then you don't know much about altitude. That's over 5000' gain. I have no idea if altitude played a role or not, but the fact that she lived at 6500 and was fit doesn't change it from another possible armchair QB fact.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Not true. Look it up. And as people who know more about it than me have already commented in this thread, a liability waiver may not be enforceable--if there was gross negligence or an inherently dangerous condition, or if she were not properly informed of the nature of the dismount--like being shown a picture of the ramp and being told the lift would not be slowed down and that there would be no one in the shack at the top if she got into trouble.

To the several people who complained about the armchair dentists making pronouncements without all the facts--this is an internet forum, it is assumed no one actually knows what they're talking about, and nothing anyone says here makes any difference. If you came here seeking an informed opinion on the subject, I'm sorry you were disappointed. If you came here knowing it would all be BS and you just wanted to spout about it being BS, go crawl back under a rock.

Last year at Squaw during snowmaggedon there was so much snow at the top of Granite --a fixed grip--that the exit ramp was flat.Most people were getting hit by the chair. I got hit a couple of times, despite knowing I had to pole like hell to get out of the way. It was fixed the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Then you don't know much about altitude. That's over 5000' gain. I have no idea if altitude played a role or not, but the fact that she lived at 6500 and was fit doesn't change it from another possible armchair QB fact.
    Yeah -- it's 5K of gain. My point being that someone who lives in Durango is likely familiar with elevation and it's effects on them. Especially if they are athletic at all.

It's all armchair QBing.

There are the same type of liability waivers for amusement and water park tickets as there are for ski area lift tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    this is an internet forum, it is assumed no one actually knows what they're talking about, and nothing anyone says here makes any difference. If you came here seeking an informed opinion on the subject, I'm sorry you were disappointed. If you came here knowing it would all be BS and you just wanted to spout about it being BS, go crawl back under a rock.
    Sig worthy.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Looking at that offload ramp, i'm guessing that the insurance company didn't do an on site inspection prior to issuing the policy.
    This is key. The tramway inspectors, or whatever the agency is called doesn’t really have a dog in this fight. The insurance company is the one that’ll have to defend the mountain (and pay any settlement) and they would/should have had something to say about that offloading ramp.

Fitness doesn’t have fuck-all to do with a person’s reaction to altitude increase - nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    There are the same type of liability waivers for amusement and water park tickets as there are for ski area lift tickets.
    waterparks /yes /where slippin on concrete is common...Disneyland and Great Adventure have hundreds of rides and no waiver forms

waterparks /yes /where slippin on concrete is common...Disneyland and Great Adventure have hundreds of rides and no waiver forms
    It's covered by the 'terms and conditions' that you agree to when you buy the ticket. Disneyland, DisneyWold, Great Adventure, 6 Flags, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post

I don't and have never claimed to be a Liar.... oops I men Lawyer, same thing really.

Just 34 years in the Ski Industry and with years of risk management experience. But again, what do I know.

I think they will probably settle and that yes, they fucked up big time.
    Yeah, and I am a lawyer, and have defended a number of resorts in personal liability cases, some under Colorado's Ski Safety Act. Though still armchair quarterbacking, to be fair.

Yeah -- it's 5K of gain. My point being that someone who lives in Durango is likely familiar with elevation and it's effects on them. Especially if they are athletic at all. .
    Except altitude is totally fickle. You can travel 10 times to 12,000' without issue, and get sick the 11th. Also...

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Fitness doesn’t have fuck-all to do with a person’s reaction to altitude increase - nothing at all.
    This.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyWong View Post
    Well, that sucks. My first child was actually conceived on the chairlift.
    Stop. Rewind. Which chairlift?

^^^

I hope it was on the chairlift while it was at its original location. Mammoth I think?

On the bright side this will probably stop the expansion into the backcountry terrain that a bunch of people were pissed off about

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Yeah, and I am a lawyer, and have defended a number of resorts in personal liability cases, some under Colorado's Ski Safety Act. Though still armchair quarterbacking, to be fair.
    Its what arm chair QBs do. Please do not take offense to the liar comment. I happen to like most Lawyers, Creaky being the exception.