Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Reading comprehension?
    I'm agreeing with you. Sorry for the confusion..just quoted you to keep the line of thought moving along.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I'm agreeing with you. Sorry for the confusion..just quoted you to keep the line of thought moving along.
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 1131
Size:  680.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    , I've been doing all the maintenance myself

I did pay for a timing belt change

So uh, what maintenance ya doin?
    Mostly kidding, are they hard on this car or something?

wolfe--I wouldn't accept the dealer's offer just yet. Talk to the regional manager and make some noise about talking to your state's dept of consumer repairs, the court that approved the settlement, etc. Sounds like a car that should be covered by the class action suit. There is certainly a chance that you can get a free new engine out of this if you make enough noise.

I have been a car dealer for the past 35 years including running a few new car joints. FWIW here are my thoughts:

If you can get a couple grand towards repairs and put in a new short block for a mythical 5K this math may make sense: You end up with about 3K of your money into repairs but with pretty much a new engine you'll get about an additional $1500 to 2000 in potential upside to a buyer of your vehicle as the replacement will come with warranty and feels way better to the next buyer than a 100k engine. That's a pretty real scenario.

If you sell it as is expect to get a few to three grand less than a realistic wholesale (or trade in ) value before it blew up.

Your not a fucked as you think you are. Truth

POS or not people love them and seek them out and they sell really well. So dealers and fixer upper guys are always looking for them.

I’ve got a 2014 forester w the 2.5. 34k on the odometer, no oil problems.

How worried should you be? Thinking of trading it in or selling it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I’ve got a 2014 forester w the 2.5. 34k on the odometer, no oil problems.

How worried should you be? Thinking of trading it in or selling it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Again people love them so selling it or trading it in your area would be pretty easy. I wouldn't be in panic mode with 34K but with those miles it would be easy to turn.

The bottom line is they are more intensive to maintain than some others in their class and don't hold up like they used to. That said your on the low end of the life cycle and really shouldn't have to worry about big issues for a while and depreciation will be fairly minimal if you keep your use low like it appears you have.

Advice for selling Subaru Forester with a BLOWN engine?

Well I have a resolution! My wife and I went to check out lightly used Acura MDXs with a plan to not buy until we had a resolution for the Forester. I figured given the blown engine and no real info on what a repair would cost that they would offer something too low for us to act, like $1500-$2500 compelling us to need to explore our options on the Forester. I’m still not sure if that meant dumping it as is on Craigslist or having an Indy shop do a repair and keeping it or then selling it. It was going to be a pain in the ass.

The price on the MDX was fully fair, but when they came back and said they’d give us $5000 for the Forester sight unseen I was ready to be rid of it!!! My research suggested trade in on it running was about $8400. They said it was worth $9000. My absolute best case scenario to fix it based on my initial research was $3600 and I’m doubtful of that. I can’t believe they gave us $5000. The dealer says they are going to have it taken straight to auction.

Bye Subaru.

Fuck the stealership. They're gonna give $2K on top of the extra $4K they charge you? They're lying to you. It's a flat four? There are tons of guys that could put in a newer used engine and get that thing running to trade it in or, better yet, just sell yourself. I know a bunch of guys in the Subaru clubs who rebuild them all time, (yes, they exists on fb) and would have that thing running for cheap. but not in Denver. Put some effort in that direction and save $4K on top of the $2K you were gonna spend $7K to save at the stealership.

Fuck the stealership. They're gonna give $2K on top of the extra $4K they charge you? They're lying to you. It's a flat four? There are tons of guys that could put in a newer used engine and get that thing running to trade it in or, better yet, just sell yourself. I know a bunch of guys in the Subaru clubs who rebuild them all time, (yes, they exists on fb) and would have that thing running for cheap. But not in Denver. Put some effort in that direction and save $4K on top of the $2K you were gonna spend $7K to save at the stealership.

The Subaru is now Acura’s problem, but fuck Subaru. They wanted me to spend $1500 just to know how much the engine was going to cost. I’m pretty sure the $2000 credit was going to be contingent on me having the repair done completely at their shop. They likely weren’t going to tear the engine down and then let me say it’s too expensive, I’m taking it to an Indy shop. Even if they let me have the credit for just tearing it down and I took it to an Indy shop I think it would have cost $3000 plus.

I feel like $5000 trade in on a car with a blown engine worth $9000 if it was running is worth it to avoid the pain to get it fixed and being pissed every time I saw it.

Nice resolution wolfelot. My brother has an MDX, it's nice. Big step up from our subi in term of comfort and refinement.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Finally you'll notice a strange sense of quiet and peace in the cabin of the vehicle, because unlike Subaru most other manufacturers insulate the engine bay and wheel wells against road noise.
    this x1000.

man are they tin cans.
    Last edited by pisteoff; 12-03-2017 at 09:48 AM.

My exhaust is no longer connected to the muffler. Jealousy in the eyes of all the high school kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    You're happy that you at least got what you owed on the loan back and then go buy a Toyota, Honda or even a domestic AWD SUV like you knew you should have in the first place. Driving the other brands of vehicles makes you realize what colossal piece of shit the Subaru really was/is. You'll find that the Subaru's AWD isn't any better than anything else out there, and not having such a huge jump between 1st and 2nd gear makes low-speed snow driving much nicer. You'll also be amazed how much better a car that makes it torque lower in RPM range is to drive in the mountains. You might even find you can pass people when pulling a grade and you don't have to keep the car wound up to 4500 RPM when pulling a pass. Finally you'll notice a strange sense of quiet and peace in the cabin of the vehicle, because unlike Subaru most other manufacturers insulate the engine bay and wheel wells against road noise. Finally, at 100k of problem free driving you'll be relieved that you don't need to pay the Subaru dealer another $1500 to install a new timing belt because the car you bought has a timing chain that wears out at the pace of the rest of the components in the motor.

True story. It's what happened to us. Fuck Subaru.
    You mean it's not just the drivers choosing to put-put along going 10 under in the left lane? Subarus are the cars I pass in the mountains pulling a 7000 lb trailer with my F150.

Safe cars though. Sister inlaw got rolled by an idiot in a snow storm over Vail pass in her Outback. Car (and skis) were totaled, but all 5 in the car walked out with only minor injuries.

Not much domestic car love on here though. Our 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk has run 70k miles in the past 3.5 years without a hiccup. Was around $32k back then, they go for a little more nowadays. Great small suv with all the ground clearance and off-road capability you could want, while still being a good ride everyday. Course not the case with all Jeeps, and we have the 3.6L (2.5 is garbage from what I've heard). Only complaint is the small fuel tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    You mean it's not just the drivers choosing to put-put along going 10 under in the left lane? Subarus are the cars I pass in the mountains pulling a 7000 lb trailer with my F150.

Safe cars though. Sister inlaw got rolled by an idiot in a snow storm over Vail pass in her Outback. Car (and skis) were totaled, but all 5 in the car walked out with only minor injuries.

Not much domestic car love on here though. Our 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk has run 70k miles in the past 3.5 years without a hiccup. Was around $32k back then, they go for a little more nowadays. Great small suv with all the ground clearance and off-road capability you could want, while still being a good ride everyday. Course not the case with all Jeeps, and we have the 3.6L (2.5 is garbage from what I've heard). Only complaint is the small fuel tank.
    I want to like and own one of the newer Jeeps, but I don't think I could bring myself to trust an FCA product out of warranty.

Couldn't be any worse than a 2.5NA Subaru, though. Fuck the various versions of that motor.

^^^ agree with both of those statements, but the Subaru is the devil I know. As ugly pointed out, a handful of tools and a little wherewithal can keep any (because they're all basically the same) Subaru running until it's finally consumed by rust.

eta: but if you're paying someone to work on it, those costs will exceed the value of the car fairly quickly on an older 2.5

It sure felt good taking the plates off this am. Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    ^^^ agree with both of those statements, but the Subaru is the devil I know. As ugly pointed out, a handful of tools and a little wherewithal can keep any (because they're all basically the same) Subaru running until it's finally consumed by rust.

eta: but if you're paying someone to work on it, those costs will exceed the value of the car fairly quickly on an older 2.5
    At least the transmission in Subarus last. Can't say that about Chrysler products.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    That is a good idea. I just looked at all of the Denver metro Subaru dealers to see if any of them have anything in stock. Flatirons Subaru/Acura in Boulder carries both. No other dealer in the metro area has an MDX with the specs we are looking for.
    Be sure to look at what years the MDX blew transmissions. Trading head gasket failures for transmission issues isn't a good move.

For years now the evil scientist in me gets a chuckle out of the Lesbaru advertising champagne suggesting the brain dead people should buy a car based on LOVE.

Its evil at its most deceptive, I raise my twisted beaker of poison to you Subaru advertising executives.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    For years now the evil scientist in me gets a chuckle out of the Lesbaru advertising champagne suggesting the brain dead people should buy a car based on LOVE.

Its evil at its most deceptive, I raise my twisted beaker of poison to you Subaru advertising executives.
    That's kind of the move in the disposable, mass-market cars space. Toyota is no better with its cars; the Corolla is 'fun to drive' [fuck, no it's not. It's awful], and the 'sporty' Camry [fuck right off with that nonsense. It's a commoditized family hauler, trading on reliability from two decades past.

Sadly, it all works.