Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    for dry snow places like JH and Alta just get a softshell... made of something like schoeller (BD makes some I think?) so it'll breathe. or freeridesystems as mentioned.

I'm with you on the base layers though, they're all the same. I think I normally ski in some 1/4 zip under armor thing cuz it happens to fit best. it wicks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Join date of 10/2001?!!!
    Sleeper cell troll

Quote Originally Posted by roll - gybe View Post
    It takes me 20 minutes of activity to completely saturate my base layers; usually with pit zipps open. When I’m skiing down I am steaming hot. On the lift I am cold. Back down I am hot and wet.
    What kind of "activity" are we talking here? Hiking? Skinning? Skiing down? If you're saturating your base layers in 20 minutes of normal skiing down, you're either dressed too warm or you're in awful shape. For hiking, I always unzip my jacket, take off my helmet, etc, or I'll overheat. I do the same on the chair if I got hot on the way down -- vent until I'm cold and then zip up. Longer skins are obviously a different animal.

At Alta or JH, you likely don't need a super waterproof shell like Gore Pro. You'll probably be fine with Neoshell or even a non-laminate softshell, and those will breathe much better. The problem is that you need to find exactly what level of insulation works for you skiing inbounds, which can be a big trial and error process and also temp dependent. Many people like very breathable layers, but some prefer a next-to-skin vapor barrier -- the idea being that you create a microclimate next to your skin, and you also have to vent it whenever you start to overheat. You can read much more about this by searching, but "Big/DIY/Old Steve" has written lots about it.

I suggest you stick to merino baselayers that are light (like 150 g/m^2) because you can't really vent a heavy baselayer.

I bet a good combo would be:
    Extremely breathable layer (e.g., https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/produc...ip-hoodie-men/)
    Light, uninsulated softshell outer layer (e.g., https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/produc...brid-jacket-m/)

OR (if you run super hot)

lwt merino tee
    Softshell outer layer (http://www.mountain-equipment.com/vulcan-jacket, FRS Antero II)

OR (if you run less hot or for colder days)

SS lwt merino tee
    Insulated softshell, like Gore Windstopper or Polartec Softshell with 120g Polartec Alpha (w. vents lets you bypass all your insulation when you're working). This might be expensive and hard to find the exact amount of insulation you want. Some ($$$) options include:
    https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/produc...ha-jacket-men/
    https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/produc...loft-jacket-m/
    https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/Fissile-Jacket

OR (go the opposite direction -- instead of breathable base/mid layer, try a vapor barrier layer)

semi-permeable vapor barrier (next to skin)
    Windproof, lightly insulated jacket (insulated however much is needed to keep you warm enough)
    Last edited by auvgeek; 11-29-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I see skiers squaring up or (even cubing) up on breathable layers. Multiple breathable layers is too much for the system and moisture can't push through. Figuring out which layers are best just takes time on the hill and by the time you've figured it out the magic piece holding it all together gets lost, trashed, destroyed and you've got start all over again.

Determine what's going to be the dominate piece- base layer, insulation, shell, etc. and build around that. I still think wool is best for base and mid layers. Especially when moisture is an issue.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

If you're skiing in a dry place just get one of these https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3293...t-fleece-lined
    Seriously, it's a great jacket and a bargain.

Also, to cool down quicker on the lifts, I almost always take off my gloves and helmet. Your head and hands are great radiators. Then once I'm comfortable I put them back on for the rest of the ride. Helps me to regulate the sweat/freeze cycle.

If you want a softshell for breathability reasons, it means getting a softshell without a laminate layer in it that adds waterproofing. For dry snow places like JH/Alta a non-laminate softshell is probably fine.

While I love FRS and wear their Antero II plus a lot (and their bross hoodie almost every day)-- I would look elsewhere for a breathable softshell. The neoshell they use has a laminate which makes it burly and waterproof, but isn't as breathable as others.

Yeah sounds like tweaking with your base layer + a non laminate non insulated softshell (hell maybe even a softshell with pit zips...which are a pain to find) might be the ticket. Also tweaking your head and glove pieces is another way to trick your body into regulating temp they way you want/ sweating less.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    At Alta or JH, you don't need a super waterproof shell like Gore Pro. You'll be fine with Neoshell or even Gore softshell, and those will breathe much better.
    I'd generally agree, but if you're going to go hard shell, the Gore Pro breathes better than the lesser Gores (IME, at least). I've got a Gore Pro shell with pitzips that's the first jacket I've had that I can use for skinning in wet conditions without getting just as drenched from the inside out.

IME next-to-skin semi-VB top is the only way to avoid chilling when up/down cycling, whether skinning or riding lifts. Experiment with different layer/shell over semi-VB. See any of numerous threads re semi-VBs. I'm a heavy sweater. YMMV

Cool good info. Non laminated. Just learned something.

Maybe it would help if I took the derby flex off my Fischer GS race 204s on a powder day.

Cool good info. Non laminated. Just learned something.

Maybe it would help if I took the derby flex off my Fischer GS race 204s on a powder day.
    Your jacket is fine. You ski Alta and JH on GS race skis from the 90s??

Sometimes I bust out the monoboard. Can’t do daffies with it though.

204 GS skis with plates? lol wut

Not sure if serious? Or next level trollololol?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    next level trollololol?
    The only possible explanation
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    The only possible explanation
    that or some sort of time travel situation. Perhaps roll-gybe has been in stasis since October 2001, only to be awoken by global warming or some kind of invisible cosmic force?

Or have the same email address to recover it. Jim@hotmail.com... :-)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Jeans and starter jacket and red boots is the combo you need.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Open starter jacket.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

If you're cold half the time and hot half the time you're doing it right. There is not magic fabric or combination of fabric that will solve your problem. No matter how breathable or wicking a fabric is you can always sweat more than the fabrics abilityto transfer moisture. If you run in Florida when it's 90/90 wearing only a thin nylon track singlet it will be sweat soaked and that's about as breathable as it gets. If you really want to minimize comfort differences between lifts and skiing adjusting your clothing frequently is the way to do it. Opening and close pit zips and front zips, side zips on pants, taking headgear on and off.

I agree with those that mention technique and conditioning. I was skiing in Chamonix during a very warm sunny week. I was wearing a baselayer and shell and was miserable hot and sweaty. The guide had on a shell, puffy, midlayer and baselayer and didn't seem to be having any problem with the heat. And he was skiing with a heavy pack. Another issue is insulation--the kind under your skin. Percentage body fat can make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    If you're skiing in a dry place just get one of these https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3293...t-fleece-lined
    Seriously, it's a great jacket and a bargain.
    I have the Lands End version of this already

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you're cold half the time and hot half the time you're doing it right. There is not magic fabric or combination of fabric that will solve your problem. No matter how breathable or wicking a fabric is you can always sweat more than the fabrics abilityto transfer moisture. If you run in Florida when it's 90/90 wearing only a thin nylon track singlet it will be sweat soaked and that's about as breathable as it gets. If you really want to minimize comfort differences between lifts and skiing adjusting your clothing frequently is the way to do it. Opening and close pit zips and front zips, side zips on pants, taking headgear on and off.

I agree with those that mention technique and conditioning. I was skiing in Chamonix during a very warm sunny week. I was wearing a baselayer and shell and was miserable hot and sweaty. The guide had on a shell, puffy, midlayer and baselayer and didn't seem to be having any problem with the heat. And he was skiing with a heavy pack. Another issue is insulation--the kind under your skin. Percentage body fat can make a big difference.
    I get your point about not doing it right! I will say Chamonix is is hot as fuck. I went there with one pair of long john bottoms for a week and came back with some pretty scary funk. I went to the doctor, and turns out wearing my under pants inside out didn’t really work after the second day. I was pretty scared. I thought it might be consumption.

I had also knocked my front teeth out and I had a hole in ny cheek, so I was a sight.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Have you tried a semi-VB? Totally different approach than wicking or breathable fabrics. IME, it works very well. Too bad I wear armor in the resort, which makes the problem extra complicated.

But some people still like the breathable stuff, and honestly, if it's cold and you're not working that hard, it can work reasonably well. The Florida analogy isn't fair because you're not skiing in 90F and running is higher output than skiing downhill. I absolutely do not think one has to be uncomfortably cold half the time and uncomfortably hot and sweaty half the time when riding lifts.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 11-29-2017 at 10:16 PM.

photos

When my 3 year old gets hot he takes off some clothes. When he is cold he puts some on. That's about how complicated it is to stay warm and dry at a ski area, unless it's raining.

I have the Lands End version of this already
    lol my guy