Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out if I should get plastic or paper bags at the grocery store.
    No need, have them shipped!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

for shipping skis/boards at first i was thinking this:

but i think a truly committed snowrider would rather try this:

I'm still trying to figure out if I should get plastic or paper bags at the grocery store.
    You don't bring your own bag! Commie!

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    AFAIK Amazon basically hasn't made a profit yet (at least not much of one): https://www.investopedia.com/stock-a...l-wag-azo.aspx

So I would assume Jeff B. is very interested in figuring this out. Driver-less electric vehicles is my guess.
    Jeff Bezos just went to a net worth of $100 Billion this past week, most of it on his Amazon stock holdings. So maybe the company has lost money, he has continued to benefit from the Companies sales and stock price. So I did not state that Amazon was profiting from the sales and making the a profit. They also probably now make more money on their Amazon Web Services- data centers and hosting etc. The articles by Benedict Evans discusses much of what Amazon is trying to do- continue to grow, continue to expand, even if it means a loss by plowing the earnings back into the business, but making sure the stock is performing...

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Jeff Bezos just went to a net worth of $100 Billion this past week, most of it on his Amazon stock holdings. So maybe the company has lost money, he has continued to benefit from the Companies sales and stock price. So I did not state that Amazon was profiting from the sales and making the a profit. They also probably now make more money on their Amazon Web Services- data centers and hosting etc. The articles by Benedict Evans discusses much of what Amazon is trying to do- continue to grow, continue to expand, even if it means a loss by plowing the earnings back into the business, but making sure the stock is performing...
    Word. Jeff Bezos is killing it, but lets say he walks away tomorrow, I really doubt their stock would continue to kill it. So his wealth, while impressive, is possibly exaggerated. Still, Amazon is crushing it...or maybe more aptly is crushing all competition.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Well, of course, a UPS or FedEx truck does not carry a single package from the sender to the consumer's home. FedEx and UPS are very efficient at filling up trucks or air cargo space to capacity for moving things to their hubs. (UPS and FedEx creates hubs at Amazon warehouse locations.) Upon receipt at the UPS and FedEx hubs, smaller trucks are filled to get things to local facilities, from which (in my town's case) USPS delivers packages during their postal routes. Where USPS is contracted to do the local delivery as part of their daily routes, I don't see how 2-day results in a measurably larger carbon footprint than 3- or 4-day.

But yeah, I do see how Sunday delivery throws a wrench into the analysis.
    Fuck me slowly oldsteve

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using TGR Forums mobile app
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I ordered two fleece jackets, same model, just two different colors, from the same place, ordered at the same time.

one of them was just delivered by fedex in a budget rental truck
    this was free shipping, not expedited in any way

why they were split is beyond me. both were in stock when ordered. One package should have been sufficient.
    and apparently fedex is so busy that they're renting trucks to get the deliveries done

i appreciate the service but i do wonder at the impact: resources, traffic, emissions, health

i could have driven somewhere once to get this done, but i fell victim to a deal that was almost half off and convenience of never leaving home

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Fuck me slowly oldsteve
    put on a wig and bend over

How was black Friday at your neighborhood Pamida?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    put on a wig and bend over

How was black Friday at your neighborhood Pamida?

grody steve, grody

never even heard of pamida
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

last time I looked into it, it was a wash. paper is easier to recycle and in the winter I use them to start the wood stove

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    I ordered two fleece jackets, same model, just two different colors, from the same place, ordered at the same time.

one of them was just delivered by fedex in a budget rental truck
    this was free shipping, not expedited in any way
    all the various drop shippers is why this happened. a retailer can be linked to several diff drop shippers and some do ok with aggregating shipping but it's still a work in progress for many

I almost think overall recently the capacity has just been getting filled so maybe even could be argued that things have gotten a little more enviro friendly bc the plane would be taking off for 2 day deliveries regardless of whether it was full or not in the past whereas now they can really optimize and cram them.
    I follow the transportation industry at work and EV trucks will help- of course the power comes from somewhere but it'll help emissions and trucking/ freight co's are psyched to start using this technology bc they have such troubles keeping driver/ labor to keep up with demand- labor is a major issue for these co's
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    last time I looked into it, it was a wash. paper is easier to recycle and in the winter I use them to start the wood stove
    neither- your own reusable bags!
    but yea I like the plastic ones for dog poo bags and paper for fire starting
    skid luxury

I order stuff from Prime on Saturday evenings sometimes and it arrives on Sunday morning via a mail truck like 12 hours later. It is kind of unsettling every time it happens - we live like 4 hours from a major city but only a few minutes from our regional airport. Once it was a bear bag...as if we needed it that urgently. A couple of weeks ago I had a jones to fix our oven on Saturday, ordered the parts from Amazon, they show up at 9 am Sunday. Wife woke up all excited to cook omelettes but her dream of an early breakfast was crushed because I had the stovetop all apart for the rebuild with parts still hot from orbital entry (how the fuck else do they get here so fast?) so she had to wait because I'm not Prime fast at fixing ovens.

Doesn't everyone have a kitchen garbage can that takes plastic grocery bags? I figure that's a better approach than buying special plastic bags just for packaging up garbage...

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    neither- your own reusable bags!
    Spill something in a reusable bag. What then?

Spill something in a reusable bag. What then?
    wash it?
    keep using it?
    skid luxury

Use water? Soap? Energy?

I need to live on this planet, cut that out.

And good luck using the bag with the broken jar of raspberry jam or the juice from a leaky pack of chicken in the bottom if you don't wash it.

^dog and then urine

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    Paper all the way. Fuck using my own bags, I pay enough for the shit at the store, they can give me a bag to take it home in.

Plus, reusable bags are a great way to give yourself a food-borne illness. Fucking filthy hippies disgust me.

And good luck using the bag with the broken jar of raspberry jam or the juice from a leaky pack of chicken in the bottom if you don't wash it.
    wow you sure do like to get anecdotal on this topic huh?
    skid luxury

It's just that there's no correct answer so I don't want nasty reused bags waved in my face like they're some badge of eco-correctness.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Fucking filthy hippies disgust me.
    wow never fails- so much anger/ generalization about every topic

using a reusable bag does not make one a dirty hippy

I like that I can load more in them/ make less trips = efficiency
    skid luxury

And don't get me started on self checkout lines.

It's just that there's no correct answer so I don't want nasty reused bags waved in my face like they're some badge of eco-correctness.
    that's cool and I can respect that
    never was trying to wave them or be smug about usage, just offered my opinion bc it was on topic at the point when I happened to read the thread

I didn't realize it was such a hot button topic!
    skid luxury

we normally bring our own bags, do self-checkout, and the boy does it all. in spanish.