Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Go full stupid and make a tele-mono board

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    Go full stupid and make a tele-mono board
    Or even better make them offset like a snowboard with free heels. My buddy almost ended up permanently crippled ripping on one of those

Sent from my LGMS330 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleboard#History my buddy JohnGilmour learned how to rip on this pretty effectively, and then ask it Into the Woods at high speed in really fucked himself up severely

Here's a little history for you. Not trying to scare you or anything. Http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/ph...pic.php?t=1582

Quote Originally Posted by b0ardski View Post
    that grocer is the greatest pow board ever, those 5in tall powder tips surface automatically forward or switch even in 2feet of tracked out alpental mank like prehistoric early rise
    I loved Doughboys I rode them as my everyday driver for many years. Like you said that big tall tip just planed over anything. As long as you didn't forget that the board rode best at 40-plus miles an hour you were good

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Ahhh, like I said hazy memory. You may be right.
    The Madd speaks to me

love the madd bx but wouldn't bother with the skinny ones for 'out west" all mountain stuff; and that tail that luuuuvs to draw out the carve is a bit stiff and twitchy going switch so I sold it.
    those original grocers were narrower (24.8 and more nimble than the doughboy was), turns like those 173 Identitys in bumps and tight trees, 25yrs old w/ rusty inserts and no camber left, but still take it out on the rare 1-2 ft days
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail-2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	217314Name:  thumbnail-1.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  63.4 KB
    T-nutted through base brah.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded Loc View Post

Name:	thumbnail-2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	217314Name:  thumbnail-1.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  63.4 KB
    T-nutted through base brah.
    Good thinking.
    Is far left an Aggression ?

the backcountry version Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22323922_10159548732625128_782090561_o.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	309.6 KB 
ID:	217315

I wish I had pictures of the contraption that I built when I was in high school. Winter of 81 or 82 - not really sure how I got the idea. Try to follow along....

1) Get old ski boot from shop, sawzall the sole off flat from the upper boot
    2) Cut 3 sections of 2x4s to slightly shorter than boot sole length
    3) Create a deck that just fits the binders side by side out of 3/4" plywood, mount binders side by side like a monoski
    4) Stack everything up and drill two holes from sole to the deck; use 2 lag bolts and washers to stack everything up
    5) Snap sole into a single 203cm slalom ski; try to get on top of the deck (usually needed help). I kept the single ski binding at normal release levels and cranked the top deck binders a little harder; ski brake on single ski, ski strap from the deck to the leg

It actually skied surprisingly decent, but you needed the balance of a teenager. You were a good 8" above the snow, could get a little bit of a carve as you could pressure the tip pretty good from that elevated angle.

I should have patented it

sounds like the land sailors we built in the late 80's. Old craig Kelly deck with a ski underneath for support. Big wide skateboard trucks and some fatty low durometer wheels. Attach a mast base and a sail and boom and rip around parking lots next to the windy ocean. We got fast enough to warrant hockey gear, leather jackets , helmets , knee and elbow pads. wheels wore out pretty fast, all that sideways torque. My buddys wife to be wrote her final business plan for her MBA at BAbson based on selling them. Wish we had camera phones back then, zero footage.
    Gotta love DIY
    I rode that Rossi 173 until the camber was shot. there's video of that...maybe post some

Name:	WD1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	217316
    Wild Duck on the left and here is a base picture. My buddy got into this about 10 years ago. First he started with monos but they were old and brittle and side cuts not that much fun to ski so he moved on to snowboards but had trouble with the bindings pulling out. Then he looked for race boards with metal in them but the bindings still pulled out, so then cam t nutting the heels like this one and now he just t nuts the entire bindings. For 10 years I told him he was fucking crazy and then he gave me one for my birthday last year and its pretty damn fun.

VOLANT EXCEL GS CARVING SNOWBOARD 173CM DIRECTIONAL DOWNHILL RACE BOMBER FAST

now I wanna try one. I thought it was this board, stainless and heavy as hell but tough and fast . I think Volant bought Aggression. Would prolly make a great mono
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well I finally got the bindings in a few days ago. Shout out to crashidy for them. I went to a buddy and compared the snowboard with his monoski in terms of binding placement.

All I need to do is order some ptex tnuts and mount the bindings along with a good wax and maybe some edge tuneup. Should be interesting...

Make money. Buy toys.

Should be terrible
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Should be terrible
    It's nothing serious just something fun to hit a few turns on.

Make money. Buy toys.

Make money. Fix injuries.
    No longer stuck.

Will you use two ski poles? Or of those really long single poles? .... what are they called?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Make money. Fix injuries.
    Don't be a jackass. He's t-nutting the bindings so it will be no different than a standard monoski.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Will you use two ski poles? Or of those really long single poles? .... what are they called?
    Never heard of a single long pole... Probably will use just two normal poles

Make money. Buy toys.

YouTube "Apocolypse Snow" for Mono related inspiration and technique. Travis Rice would think twice about some of the shit they pulled in 1986. Ziggy Stardust on a 50 CAL really rounds the movie out IMO. For Binding setups I've encountered an interesting one foot in front of the other layout in the wild. Alpine in the front and tele in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by XCextreme View Post
    YouTube "Apocolypse Snow" for Mono related inspiration and technique. Travis Rice would think twice about some of the shit they pulled in 1986. Ziggy Stardust on a 50 CAL really rounds the movie out IMO. For Binding setups I've encountered an interesting one foot in front of the other layout in the wild. Alpine in the front and tele in the back.
    Currently watching this and it's damn awesome! I definitely recommend to anyone that has 20 minutes to spare. I also got some good chuckles from it

Make money. Buy toys.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Don't be a jackass. He's t-nutting the bindings so it will be no different than a standard monoski.
    You're right, he'll just have all the disadvantages of snowboarding combined with all the disadvantages of skiing with none of the advantages.
    No longer stuck.

WWFD?

What wood Frosty do?
    watch out for snakes