Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    I'm sure there will be DH fork deals throughout the winter so keep your eyes out. I know they changed the damper (and airspring?) in the 2018 Pike and Lyrik so maybe BoXXers get an update too (resulting in cheaper 2016/7 close outs). Fox 40 was also changed a bit for 2018 so keep an eye out on those if you like them.

I ride a Jeffsy 27 and love it. Progressive and poppy suspension design (good for fat dudes like me), relatively light and a balanced geo so it's a decent climber without giving up much on the descent (66.5 HTA/75 STA, 460mm reach on a large).
    I wish I could afford a Fox 40. My favorite fork ever was a Fox 36 Float FIT/HSC. So buttery smooth, yet nice and stiff. For lower end forks though, I like Rockshox better than Fox’s bottom line. I have a dual crown domain on the glory now, which is uber-heavy and has almost no adjustability. I actually like the suspension action of them though, just wish they were stiffer and lighter.

The YT jeffsy is really working its way up my list. 66.5 HTA, 75 STA, and reach numbers looks perfect. I like the Transition Scout though too. They both are in that “hooligan trail bike” category that I will most likely end up going with.

I was talking to an ex-pro DHer today, and he said I should go with a Reign. Even while owning a Glory. According to him “Reign has 85% of the descending capabilities of the glory, and 85% of the uphill capabilities of the Trance”. He is an ex-pro though, and I am just a mere mortal, so I should probably take that with a grain of salt. He said “stay away from the Trance” though.. not enough stability for what I am looking for. Jeffsy and Scout would most likely be better than Trance for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Anyone know any good deals on pedals right now? Shimano Saint pedals are only $50 online. Not the nicest pedal, but that seems like a good price.
    Last weekend at the DH Park 70% of the bikes I saw with flats had composite pedals. People seem psyched on big fat cheap platforms.
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

What enduro for freeride/bike park?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Last weekend at the DH Park 70% of the bikes I saw with flats had composite pedals. People seem psyched on big fat cheap platforms.
    Where are you located that the lift served MTBing is still happening? I’m a little jealous, even though the trail riding in Tahoe is great right now.

I was looking at Spank Spoon pedals. Seems like they have a good balance between price/weight/grip.. however I ended up just getting a cheap pair of Giant platform pedals, which I have had before. Probably not as durable as the Saint pedals, but lighter, and grippier. Plus no shipping necessary. $50.

Asheville. Bailey Mtn Bike Park
    Windrock Park in Knoxville is also open year round.
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

I've got a season and a half on Race Face Chester pedals. They don't look pretty anymore, but I've bashed them into more than their fair share of rocks and they're still going strong. Haven't managed to full shear off any pins, but have ground down plenty and can replace them with socket head set screws from the hardware store as needed. They used a captive nut to hold the screws, so no threads in the composite pedal body... I'm sure a really bad impact could deform the spot where the nut sits but it's not as delicate as pins that thread straight into the pedal body.
    Anyways, grip is good, bearings still going smooth with no/minimal play and I find them to be a good size for my 10 1/2 shoe. The previous pair of nylon pedals I had, the Nukeproof Electron Evos, were also very good but I felt like the width and placement of the pins meant that more often than not, I was ever so slightly not standing on all of them at once, so grip felt a little less unless foot placement was dead nuts on. Something about the way the RF pins are laid out just works better for me. Also the Nukeproofs have two pins per side that are just molded nylon, so once those get bashed into oblivion, thats it for those. All pins are metal on the RF pedals.

If you're riding northstar (the real trails at northstar, not just livewire), you'll be glad you got a dh bike.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

According to him “Reign has 85% of the descending capabilities of the glory, and 85% of the uphill capabilities of the Trance”. He is an ex-pro though, and I am just a mere mortal, so I should probably take that with a grain of salt. He said “stay away from the Trance” though.. not enough stability for what I am looking for. Jeffsy and Scout would most likely be better than Trance for my needs. TGR Forums
    I don't know about a reign being 85% of the descending capabilities of the glory, my whole bike often shudders in the really fast rough stuff. For a lot of stuff though I can see what he's saying. As for climbing, I haven't ridden a trance much, but I'd hope it climbs a lot better than the reign. I'm happy overall with the reign climbing, but the front is really twitchy, I gotta drive it constantly. I would hope there are better climbers in it's class by a different brand.

85% of a dh bike is only something someone who doesn't really ride dh bikes would say.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I'd rather have a $3000 trail bike and a $3000 DH bike than a $6000 enduro bike.

And I have a $6000 enduro bike....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

If you already have a trail bike and this one only needs to go uphill occasionally, you want a proper freeride bike. Few bikes these days say freeride like an Uzzi.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2278500/

Your welcome.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post

Your welcome.
    for what? The void filled welds, the crooked rear end, pinner manipulated thin sheet metal in lieu of actual tubes, or the wacked out hammock leverage curve?

So much to be thankful for!

I thought they stopped making that bike 5 years ago.

https://www.knollybikes.com/warden or Delirium if you want to go bigger.

Anyone know if the Commencal Meta AM 4.2 blows through the rear travel like the Meta SX does?

Anyone know if the Commencal Meta AM 4.2 blows through the rear travel like the Meta SX does?
    My V4 does not blow through its travel. I’m running a Monarch RT3 Debonair with 4 rubber bands.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    My V4 does not blow through its travel. I’m running a Monarch RT3 Debonair with 4 rubber bands.
    I never tried bands or volume spacers on my 2014 Meta SX.. probably should have. I loved that bike. I want another one, but don’t want to risk volume spacers not working.. im heavy

The V4.2 seems like a better choice. It pedals much better than Meta SX, and heard it descends just as well, if not better. Only downside is that it’s less playful with the longer wheelbase. Even though it has shorter CS’s..

I have only ridden the V4 bopping around on flats, so never got a good feel of rear suspension.

What should pedal uphill better, Giant Reign or Meta AM V4.2?

Just from riding around my hood, and in parking lots on flats, I can tell the newer glory is more nimble than my 2014 26er Glory. Super stoked on it.

I was afraid that wouldnt be the case with the bigger wheels, but it looks like geometry plays a far more important role.

The giants pedal really well. As in keeping the bike level with chain forces while pointed uphill and grunting.

That new meta looks pretty damn good too though. On paper at least, with lots of antisquats.

The new SC nomad has 430mm chainstays, and I keep hearing how nimble it is and how easy it is to manual. Also, most reviews say it’s a great climber.

Which mountain bike magazine/review companies do you guys trust the most for reviews?? Which are the least biased?

I keep reading some conflicting reviews. Some say the Giant/YT are good at pedaling, other magazines say they suck at uphill. Some magazines say Commencal is playful on singletrack, some say it doesn’t come to life until you are truly thrashing it.. Pretty much all praise the SC Nomad

^^^ I test rode the Scout Carbon and really liked it, but the pricing was stupid high here in Canada and I ended up with the Jeffsy (which I love). I have read people complaining about pedal bob but I don't experience it. I run the RS Deluxe in the trail mode for most climbs and am running 30% sag. AS on the Jeffsy at 32t/42t is 87%. I believe the newest Trance is around 100-110% so yes, Maestro suspension will bob less especially with an open shock.

It's not an XC bike but it climbs pretty well and is reasonably light (29lbs). The Trance Advanced 1 I demoed did climb a bit better, 27lbs, but I think it was mostly due to the stupid long stem and narrow bars which made it nowhere near as fun on the descents.

Haven't ridden the current Reign, but I don't know why you would want one if you have a DH bike already... maybe if you are in good shape and only climb fire roads for gnarly descents.

Man, YT has some good deals right now.

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 12-05-2017 at 09:40 PM.

what about canyon strive?

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    what about canyon strive?

I think it has a 67 degree head angle, which is a no go for me.

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 12-06-2017 at 05:39 PM.

If you're in north shore, shouldn't be too hard to find a Jeffsy to demo, would it?

If I lived near Northstar and had a brand new Glory, plus was looking for a trail bike, I'd seriously consider a GG Pedalhead. I know you already have a hardtail, but the Pedalhead is a hardtail like no other. The Pedalhead is possibly the most fun I've ever had on a bike (I liked it much better than the Trail Pistol) ... I was using it on flow trail sized jumps, rock gardens, climbing ... it can smash downhills or carve downhills depending how you like to ride. You can set it up with up to a 150mm fork and it can run 29" wheels for high speed trails or 27+ for chunkier or more blown out conditions. I really think the frame tubing setup gives it a perfect balance of compliance and stiffness ... The fanatics in the Pedalhead MTBR thread keep talking about how they sold their FS trail bikes after getting one. Check out the geo on their product page! Too bad it's basically impossible to demo one before their next demo tour, unless you are visiting Denver anytime soon.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I think it has a 67 degree head angle, which is a no go for me.

you don't like it so slack?

i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum