Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What enduro for freeride/bike park?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Knolly Delirium. 100% meets your requirements. Destroys trail. Loves to be in the air.
    Forgot the delirium. Definitely ticks all boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    My favorite DH bike was a 2013 Scott Gambler. Set up with the shorter chainstays, and steepest head angle, that was a playful bike that could still handle rocky sections like a boss.

Anyone know if the new Gambler is just a ďfunĒ? I think you can still run it with 26 wheels, and still can shorten the chainstays..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Wasnít that the voltage? New looks cool. Lots of options for set ups and cheap. 135 mm rear axle is a bit old though

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Im trying to save up for a Trail Pistol, but you might test Grinchís theory:

http://ridegg.com/megatrail-ride-1

FWIW: I emailed to GG to ask about sizing and some build specs and they answered within two hours.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Thatís what I have to do. Waiting to see if the canuckistanian $ climbs a bit first but I usually go with mediums and the small mega has same numbers as my medium scout despite 40mm extra travel

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    A gg megatrail with a slacker headset.

^^this. Iím thinking just one degree. That bike looks like so much fun. Iíd use the 150 setting occasionally too I think.

YT Capra. Progressive rear suspension design, could run it with a DHX2 with climb switch. 36 RC2 up front. Good value.

Rumour are that YT is tweaking the frame for 2018 so there may be deals to be had on 2017 stock if any left.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post

Wasnít that the voltage? New looks cool. Lots of options for set ups and cheap. 135 mm rear axle is a bit old though
    The gambler had adjustable geometry, and you could get it down to 425mm chainstays. I think..It was playful in that shorter setup, and I really enjoyed it.

I believe the Voltage has 425mm CS as well. I also really liked that bike, and would love to try the new version with the Larger sizing.

The deals on YT Tues and Commencal Furious are hard to beat though. $2000 for a brand new aluminum dh bike! That would leave me some money left over for a YT Capra AL next year.

Iím all over the place. Idk if I want a capable enduro bike, or a freeridey dh bike..

N+1

Maybe I should drive down to Reno and sit on one..
    Quoted for posterity
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

All these new bikes are huge! I like smaller bikes..I am not the fastest DH rider, but love to be in the air and throwing whips and stuff.

Is the Capra ďflickableĒ as they say? I am more into freeride/bike park than true DH..
    Buy the smaller size of the two you're considering and any bike is flickalickable
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but an enduro bike/frame isn't going hold up to serious bike park riding and freeriding. It will be fun and work ok for a bit, but will break too quick. IF I was going to build up a new park bike, it'd probably be a Banshee Darkside with air shock, 26" flow mk3, and a closeout 26" Boxxer world cup. About 32-33lb with a moderately light build.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but an enduro bike/frame isn't going hold up to serious bike park riding and freeriding. It will be fun and work ok for a bit, but will break too quick.
    While I completely agree with you, all these companies are advertising their burlybroduro bikes as such so fuck it. I have zero issues utilizing warranties if that's the case. Dh tires go a long way on little bikes as far as making them more durable.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    While I completely agree with you, all these companies are advertising their burlybroduro bikes as such so fuck it. I have zero issues utilizing warranties if that's the case. Dh tires go a long way on little bikes as far as making them more durable.
    This, and...

I ride with several folks who own one bike for trail head and park.

These guys tend to run a burlier crank (Saint VS. XTR as an example) and run four piston calipers (Zee/Saint VS. XT/XTR). In several cases they are running a second wheel set, with DH casing tires and roll a coil shock (instead of an air shock) when riding lifts.
    Alpental Indigenous

I went wayyyyy off track, I couldnít resist.. Cyber Monday got me! Brand new 2017 Giant Glory 2, full warranty, for $2k. I see them going used for that price (or higher) on pinkbike, and I think its normally $3350 when new??

It was even cheaper than Commencal Furious or YT Tues, and although itís lacking the mid-tier components of those mail order bikes, I know I can trust the pedigree of the Glory to ride well even with bottom end suspension. The money I saved will help go towards a Boxxer World Cup fork and new brakes.

Reviews of the latest Glory look great. I owned a 2014 Glory 2, the last year of 26Ē, and enjoyed it quite a bit. New one has shorter chainstays and a lower BB height, even with the larger wheels, as well as better standover height, and a longer front center. Reviews say itís more playful than the old one with itís revised geometry, and also more stable with 27.5 wheels. I think I will like it..and worst case scenario, I dont love it, and recoup most of my money.

My other choices were Banshee Darkside and Scott Gambler. Those bikes were $3500 though, and it just came down to price for me in the end. I am going to upgrade components either way, and the $1500 I saved on the Glory will go a long way for brakes, crank, and a fork.

Now I shift focus to a 140mm-ish trail bike.

Score! What a deal. Nice bike

The color is a little funky, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Glory is a solid bike.
    But what the hell was the point of this thread? You just bought the most average, run of the mill DH bike. Not gonna be pedaling that shit uphills for very long!
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

Glory is a solid bike.
    But what the hell was the point of this thread? You just bought the most average, run of the mill DH bike. Not gonna be pedaling that shit uphills for very long!
    I was all over the map in this thread. Sorry about that. I was debating a do-it-all enduro bike for Northstar, that could also climb. However, I came to realize a two bike combo would suit me better. A true DH bike for northstar, and a nimble 140/150mm bike for trails.

I still might get an enduro bike, since I have a hardtail. Debating Reign/Capra or Trance/Jeffsy. Leaning towards the smaller bikes, for better climbing capabilities.

Scott Spark or Genius might work.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconMeCrazy View Post
    Scott Spark or Genius might work.
    Great advice. Maybe he should return the bike he just mentioned buying, three posts ago.

Great advice. Maybe he should return the bike he just mentioned buying, three posts ago.
    I am also looking into a trail bike for under $2500. Preferably a 2017 leftover, so I can get a higher spec bike for that price.

I am also looking into a trail bike for under $2500. Preferably a 2017 leftover, so I can get a higher spec bike for that price.
    I can vouch for the Trance being a fun, flickable bike in that 140/150 category. I'm not a fan of the Fox 34 and may be replacing it with an MRP Ribbon coil soon-ish... might even try to run it at 160mm.

Nice pick up on the Glory, hard to go wrong at that price and the peace of mind of warranty support if you break something is good.

Marz is selling their top of the line DH fork (380 R2C2) for $860USD right now https://shop.marzocchi.com/ - it was actually $500-600ish last week for Black Friday. Cheaper than a new Team or World Cup.

I tried the new Trance (2017) and just didn't get along with it, felt too XC probably because stock stem was stupid long and bars too narrow. Rear end felt harsh even with the revised linkage. Look at the YT and Commencal 150mm bikes if you are seeking value and don't enjoy the Trance.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    <snip>
    I tried the new Trance (2017) and just didn't get along with it, felt too XC probably because stock stem was stupid long and bars too narrow. Rear end felt harsh even with the revised linkage.
    I've got no complaints around the rear travel - it's pretty darned plush in the "open" mode on the Fox DPXKDSHLTES-2 or whatever it's called.

The Fox 34 up front, though, refuses to not be harsh on fast, small hits. One of my buddies said, "Oh, yeah - you gotta take those forks and service them right from the factory."

WTF?

They did "fix" the long stem and narrow bar in the '18 model.

At least he seems to have the trusted ďn + 1Ē (or maybe ďn + 2Ē) equation down!

Evil Insurgent GX is on sale...just sayin

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Nice pick up on the Glory, hard to go wrong at that price and the peace of mind of warranty support if you break something is good.

Marz is selling their top of the line DH fork (380 R2C2) for $860USD right now https://shop.marzocchi.com/ - it was actually $500-600ish last week for Black Friday. Cheaper than a new Team or World Cup.

I tried the new Trance (2017) and just didn't get along with it, felt too XC probably because stock stem was stupid long and bars too narrow. Rear end felt harsh even with the revised linkage. Look at the YT and Commencal 150mm bikes if you are seeking value and don't enjoy the Trance.
    Even though it was barely cheaper than Commencal or YT DH bikes, and with worse components, I thought it was too good of a deal to pass up on a new Glory. I see them selling for more $ on pinkbike or craigslist all the time, after being heavily used and/or demo bikes.

I wish I bought a fork last week, however I didnt buy the bike until yesterday, and before that I was pretty set on an enduro/freeride bike. Did I miss any deals on Rockshox Boxxers?

Anyone know any good deals on pedals right now? Shimano Saint pedals are only $50 online. Not the nicest pedal, but that seems like a good price.

I looked at the new Trance and Reign today. The Reign is pretty ridiculous! Itís almost as long and slack as the Glory. That thing must be a chore to ride uphill, but I bet it has no problem at bike parks. I couldnt swing owning both a Glory and a Reign, unless I was a racer, which I am not. The Trance looks nice, but I keep hearing/reading mixed reviews on it, saying that itís twitchy on the downs, and feels undergunned. Preferably, Iíd like something in between those two.

The Commencal Meta V4(.2), trail and AM, have heel rub issues on the stays, especially for guys with big feet. Little things like that mess with my head, even though they shouldnt. Also itís not the most playful bike, which is wierd since meta V3 and meta sx were so maneuverable and fun.

I think the YT Jeffsy or Transition Scout could be good. Heard nothing but praise on both of them.

I'm sure there will be DH fork deals throughout the winter so keep your eyes out. I know they changed the damper (and airspring?) in the 2018 Pike and Lyrik so maybe BoXXers get an update too (resulting in cheaper 2016/7 close outs). Fox 40 was also changed a bit for 2018 so keep an eye out on those if you like them.

I ride a Jeffsy 27 and love it. Progressive and poppy suspension design (good for fat dudes like me), relatively light and a balanced geo so it's a decent climber without giving up much on the descent (66.5 HTA/75 STA, 460mm reach on a large).

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I've got no complaints around the rear travel - it's pretty darned plush in the "open" mode on the Fox DPXKDSHLTES-2 or whatever it's called.

The Fox 34 up front, though, refuses to not be harsh on fast, small hits. One of my buddies said, "Oh, yeah - you gotta take those forks and service them right from the factory."

WTF?

They did "fix" the long stem and narrow bar in the '18 model.
    My buddy's YT came with a Fox 34 Performance Elite that was pretty much bone dry lowers from the factory. My Pike was also dry. Another dude I know bought the top spec YT Tues CF DH bike and the Fox 40 Factory was bone dry... lazy shit from Fox (unless it's on the bike mfg to top up OEM forks maybe?).