Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What enduro for freeride/bike park?

Reposted from pinkbike. Thought I’d try here. Sorry for the JONG recommendation question.

I am looking for a fun, freeride/enduro bike, that can climb decently. I live next to Northstar, and am into freeride (jumping, gettin’ whippy), but also want to be able to climb when needed. I have a trail bike for longer ascents, so I dont need the most efficient climber, just something that will climb OKish. My main concern is fun for freeride type trails.

Looking at:
    Commencal Supreme SX
    YT Capra
    Giant Reign
    Trek Slash

What are other enduro bikes that shine in the bike park, that can also climb. I like bikes that are more fun, and “poppy”.. versus racey, glued to the ground type bikes.

I am a bigger guy, so I’d prefer something that doesnt blow through suspension easily (like my old Meta SX), and something that doesnt cause my big feet to rub on the chainstays (like the Meta AM V4(.2))

What do you guys recommend? All help will be highly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Specialized Enduro

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Specialized enduro. 29er or 27.5 fattie.

Thanks for the quick answers. Thats what everyone tells me, maybe I should listen! The specialized looks fun, but the spec on it doesnt wow me for $3200. I also have never been a huge Specialized fan, more into Trek/Giant if I were to go with the big brands. I feel like the specialized would be more “playful” than the giant reign though.

I forgot to mention my budget is $3000-$4000. Would prefer a pike or lyric fork over the yari. Guide brakes. No preference in drivetrain, just not bottom end.

Is the Transition Patrol any good for messing around in the bike park?

I have never been a huge fan of Santa Cruz, but am coming around to the hype. Might check out the Bronson.

I’m looking at new patrol, Devinci spartan and guerilla gravity megatrail. Leaning toward the gg but that might blow your budget. If I was talller and/or had longer inseam I’d put the Canfield balance, banshee darkside, rocky slayer and new sc nomad on that list. Pretty stacked category these days
    All those have aluminium options apart from the slayer. There was really good deals on Canfield balance old stock frames

I’m 6’3”, 205lbs, with a 34” inseam. I tend to like smaller (L instead of XL) bikes though. I like to mess around with manuals, whips, and just general playing versus setting fast times.

I am riding a 2017 SC Tallboy tommorow, my first 29er, and I’m not really looking forward to it. But hey, it’s free, and I am keeping an open mind.

One of my favorite bikes ever was the first gen scott voltage, and that thing was tiny! I had a dual crown on it, and had the back end set up for max travel, so it couldn’t pedal for shit.

Do the new voltage’s, set up for 170/180mm travel, pedal ok? Or stay away?

I had a Capra for a season. It was a good bike but too much for everyday trail riding for me. I always thought it would be great at a bike park although I never took it to one. The suspension is crazy progressive and hard to bottom.

mondraker dune

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

I own a Giant Reign, I bought a coil rear shock right after riding Northstar for a day. Short stroke in the rear with a mid-grade air shock was pissing me off. Team Robot had a rant on this exact design (2015) I never saw it though before buying. He knew by just reading the specs online, I could not.

Also the Reign is more of a DH type of bike than poppy, so maybe look somewhere else.

I rode a 2016 Slash (27.5) at the bike park ~25 days this summer. Thing is fuckin awesome. I demoed a 2017 Demo 8 when my Slash was out of commission and much preferred the Slash. Easier to throw around, more playful, and less of a sled like feel. I mainly ride Winter Park though which is pretty smooth for the most part.

I wouldn't go 29er for a park bike unless you're racing. That's personal preference YMMV. The new Slash only comes in 29 and I'd love to A/B it with the 27.5 version.

I would add the Nukeproof 275 to your list. Would love to try that bike too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TGR Forums mobile app

I think the Trek Slash would be great, but all the 2018s are 29ers I think.

From what I've heard, the new Remedy is more similar to the 27.5 Slash. I've ridden it, it's extremely playful and climbs well too.
    The newest generation Slash is more of a shredder than it is playful- think bombing straight through gnarly lines and getting down fast.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using TGR Forums mobile app

Maybe I am looking at this wrong. Haven’t had an Enduro Bike since 2014.

I am so used to 40lb downhill rigs now, I think even a “plowy” or racey 32lb enduro bike will feel more playful to me than any DH bikes.

I do not want a 29er for bike park though. The 27.5 Slash looks so good, I would have to find a leftover somewhere or buy used.

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 11-25-2017 at 10:31 PM.

I’m just not into the special eds and trek corporate machine. Seems to be hit n miss whether or not they stAnd behind their product. Trek cs’s broke forever. They may have fixed that now but their aluminium bikes are pop cans and not sure I want to trust their warrantee on carbon and they’re $’s, same with special eds although I’ve found them more durable. I like the bikes built by riders smaller companies with good cs reputation. I also prefer aluminium. My bike probably won’t be fully pimped but I’d prefer to spend the 1g on quality non drivetrain parts. Probably saves more weight than the carbon frame and can be as /or near as stiff. I can’t afford to have to replace a carbon frame whether it’s crash replacement or full warrantee

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I’m just not into the special eds and trek corporate machine. Seems to be hit n miss whether or not they stAnd behind their product. Trek cs’s broke forever. They may have fixed that now but their aluminium bikes are pop cans and not sure I want to trust their warrantee on carbon and they’re $’s, same with special eds although I’ve found them more durable. I like the bikes built by riders smaller companies with good cs reputation. I also prefer aluminium. My bike probably won’t be fully pimped but I’d prefer to spend the 1g on quality non drivetrain parts. Probably saves more weight than the carbon frame and can be as /or near as stiff. I can’t afford to have to replace a carbon frame whether it’s crash replacement or full warrantee
    I know how you feel. My last 4 bikes were all from Commencal. No issues, I just want to move to on though. I try to stay away from trek and specialized, however every time I ride their trail bikes, I have a blast. They have their geometry figured out for nimble bikes. I have had good luck with Giant before (2009 Reign, 2014 Glory and an older Warp DS from like 04’), but they have always been more racey and glued to the ground, so probably going to skip on the newer Reign.

What about YT, mondraker, or Canyon’s durability?

Transitions patrol could work. I have never ridden a Transition before, but here good things about their “fun factor”

While we are on this subject.. Can anyone compare full on DH bikes for playfulness?

I’m generalizing but a lot of the double link bikes(giant maestro, sc/intense vpp, banshee ks, Canfield , etc) stay glued to the ground and eat the lips on jumps and the Horst link bikes are more poppy(transition , specialized, etc etc). The high pivots like the Commencal sx is going to eat up the square edge bumps the most . I like how they’ve really shortened the cs to compensate and find the happy medium. Same with Canfield with the 420 cs. Haven’t tried either but I hear they’ve struck a good balance(pardon the pun). Transitions are made in the orient but they’re very involved in the designing and are very progressive in their designs. They’re doing a lot of things right and are a good company that values cs(all the companies on my og list do although I have to research gg more but the numbers and design are perfect for my personal fit). Giant are one of the big brands that I trust to stand behind their product . If the Canfield had 2” more of standover I would have jumped on their old stock(gg megatrail is close to 3’ more stand over than Canfield balance)but aside from that I like what they’re doing and they’re great to deal with. Devinci aluminium are still built in Canada and they’ve got a durable well designed product they stand behind(they paid for the same system as trek instead of sued/stole it). I just like the new sc nomad and the Commencal supreme sx because they’re rad bikes that are going to munch up a lot of trail in the “can still be pedaled” category. Maybe the pivot firebird but those wishbones(like specialized) are hard on shocks. The knock on yt, mondraker, canyon, Commencal has always been the “when is it going to be in stock?” Or quality control and dealing with the issue and the “when is the warrantee part going to be in stock?”. They all have warehouses on this side of the pond now though and reports are atleast yt and Commencal are doing well setting people up and helping if there is an issue. Canyon and mondraker are new in NA so I’d wait and see how they’re doing. Those online guys are tempting. I had to pay to send my ks lev seatpost back for warrantee and paid for it to be re installed at the bike shop I bought my one month old bike from(I would have reinstalled it myself if I knew) so it makes a guy think , why don’t I save a lot of $ , especially if I have to pay to send my parts back for warrantee and pay for re installation on my lbs bought bike

I found the old Yeti SB66 to be one of the poppiest bikes I’ve been on. Loved skipping around and being in the air. Even though this feature made it fast, it also made it nervous feeling in rock gardens. Easy to feel like you got in over your head. It had a very linear suspension, so maybe look for that trait? I dunno

I’m generalizing but a lot of the double link bikes(giant maestro, sc/intense vpp, banshee ks, Canfield , etc) stay glued to the ground and eat the lips on jumps and the Horst link bikes are more poppy(transition , specialized, etc etc). The high pivots like the Commencal sx is going to eat up the square edge bumps the most . I like how they’ve really shortened the cs to compensate and find the happy medium. Same with Canfield with the 420 cs. Haven’t tried either but I hear they’ve struck a good balance(pardon the pun). Transitions are made in the orient but they’re very involved in the designing and are very progressive in their designs. They’re doing a lot of things right and are a good company that values cs(all the companies on my og list do although I have to research gg more but the numbers and design are perfect for my personal fit). Giant are one of the big brands that I trust to stand behind their product . If the Canfield had 2” more of standover I would have jumped on their old stock(gg megatrail is close to 3’ more stand over than Canfield balance)but aside from that I like what they’re doing and they’re great to deal with. Devinci aluminium are still built in Canada and they’ve got a durable well designed product they stand behind(they paid for the same system as trek instead of sued/stole it). I just like the new sc nomad and the Commencal supreme sx because they’re rad bikes that are going to munch up a lot of trail in the “can still be pedaled” category. Maybe the pivot firebird but those wishbones(like specialized) are hard on shocks. The knock on yt, mondraker, canyon, Commencal has always been the “when is it going to be in stock?” Or quality control and dealing with the issue and the “when is the warrantee part going to be in stock?”. They all have warehouses on this side of the pond now though and reports are atleast yt and Commencal are doing well setting people up and helping if there is an issue. Canyon and mondraker are new in NA so I’d wait and see how they’re doing. Those online guys are tempting. I had to pay to send my ks lev seatpost back for warrantee and paid for it to be re installed at the bike shop I bought my one month old bike from(I would have reinstalled it myself if I knew) so it makes a guy think , why don’t I save a lot of $ , especially if I have to pay to send my parts back for warrantee and pay for re installation on my lbs bought bike
    I had a Supreme DH V4, with that high pivot point, and that thing was a beast. The rear tire wouldnt get hung up at all, you didnt even notice big rocks. It was more planted and sled-like than my giant glory. I am worried the Supreme SX wont be as playful as the Meta SX..

Whats up with the Commencal Furious? Is that supposed to be a park bike? Or another dh race rig?

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I had a Supreme DH V4, with that high pivot point, and that thing was a beast. The rear tire wouldnt get hung up at all, you didnt even notice big rocks. It was more planted and sled-like than my giant glory. I am worried the Supreme SX wont be as playful as the Meta SX..

Whats up with the Commencal Furious? Is that supposed to be a park bike? Or another dh race rig?

I don’t think the sx will be that playful. I’d bet that it eats up rough trail as well as my old 26’ demo 8 and I’d never want to pedal my demo up a hill. Both awesome park bikes though. 26’ demo was a super playful 8’/dh bike vs rough trail eating 7’/freeride supreme sx
    Furious is marketed as a freeride/park bike but it’s basically a cheaper option dh bike under the supreme dh. Looks like a nice ride, great price. Doesn’t fit me(probably would you) and I’m not a huge “faux bar” fan.

Knolly Delirium. 100% meets your requirements. Destroys trail. Loves to be in the air.

Only thing else I’d consider right now for that kind of hybrid is the YT Capra and the Liteville 601.
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

I don’t think the sx will be that playful. I’d bet that it eats up rough trail as well as my old 26’ demo 8 and I’d never want to pedal my demo up a hill. Both awesome park bikes though. 26’ demo was a super playful 8’/dh bike vs rough trail eating 7’/freeride supreme sx
    Furious is marketed as a freeride/park bike but it’s basically a cheaper option dh bike under the supreme dh. Looks like a nice ride, great price. Doesn’t fit me(probably would you) and I’m not a huge “faux bar” fan.
    My favorite DH bike was a 2013 Scott Gambler. Set up with the shorter chainstays, and steepest head angle, that was a playful bike that could still handle rocky sections like a boss.

Anyone know if the new Gambler is just a “fun”? I think you can still run it with 26 wheels, and still can shorten the chainstays..

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Knolly Delirium. 100% meets your requirements. Destroys trail. Loves to be in the air.

Only thing else I’d consider right now for that kind of hybrid is the YT Capra and the Liteville 601.
    Knolly Delirium looks good!

I have been debating the YT capra, but everyone says sizing is a little off. I am a bigger guy, but like small-ish bikes, so I’d bet I would like the XL. Maybe I should drive down to Reno and sit on one..

Im trying to save up for a Trail Pistol, but you might test Grinch’s theory:

http://ridegg.com/megatrail-ride-1

FWIW: I emailed to GG to ask about sizing and some build specs and they answered within two hours.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

I have been debating the YT capra, but everyone says sizing is a little off. I am a bigger guy, but like small-ish bikes, so I’d bet I would like the XL. Maybe I should drive down to Reno and sit on one..
    Capras are freakin bulldozers. Definitely fit what you're looking for. Not sure what you mean on sizing. If anything they run a little big. Don't listen to anything on mtbr if that's what you're going on.

Some other smashers:

Pivot firebird
    turner rfx (stock shock needs some work though)
    new nomad
    A gg megatrail with a slacker headset.

I'm with grinch on the commencal sx. Not a big fan of those designs for anything other than just running into shit.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Capras are freakin bulldozers. Definitely fit what you're looking for. Not sure what you mean on sizing. If anything they run a little big. Don't listen to anything on mtbr if that's what you're going on.

Some other smashers:

Pivot firebird
    turner rfx (stock shock needs some work though)
    new nomad
    A gg megatrail with a slacker headset.

I'm with grinch on the commencal sx. Not a big fan of those designs for anything other than just running into shit.
    Is the Capra “flickable” as they say? I am more into freeride/bike park than true DH..