Southeastern Oregon - Northern Nevada road trip. In the next couple days...

Posted a topic for a different trip and got some great responses but we had a change of plans and now the lady friend, myself, and the dogs have 5-7 days leaving the Columbia gorge area tomorrow evening or Sunday morning.

I Was thinking of two general routes:

Either a more direct route straight to southeastern Oregon and northern Nevada down 395/78/95 or potentially heading through Bend and Crater Lake before heading east on 140. Either way we want to find privacy and sun, knowing temps will probably be cold.

We have a 4x4 van with pretty good clearance and a bed so long drives on less developed roads aren't going to turn us off, although weather will obviously be a factor this time of the year.

Hot Springs, Day hikes, sightseeing and private campsites will be the majority of what we are looking for but would love to hear of any other recommendations anyone might have.

Those are disparate routes. The Crater Lake diversion can be snow and severe weather for miles and if the rim is socked in. Forget it.

What’s your intended destination?

Have you been to Ashland?

Alvord Desert on the E side of Steens Mountain and the hot springs there are not to be missed. The Pike Creek trail there is awesome as well. If you're looking to get away from people, it's a pretty good area, especially this time of year.

https://www.facebook.com/Alvord-Hot-...4929036894501/

Don't buy gas in Adel.
    Last edited by HansJob; 11-25-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Leslie Gulch and the middle section of the Owyhee River (Birch Creek, Rome, 3 Forks) are great for everything you have listed. Access might be bad this time of year, wet weather can turn the ranch roads to gumbo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1228.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	217130

I really dig the escarpments and general terrain between Alturas and Summer Lake. Avoids the monotonous spindly forest zone along hwy 97.

Oregon got some decent snowfall before this last warming period. I assume crater lake access is limited, S entrance.

I have to explore EO more. Had a job offer in Lakeview OR. once. Just couldn’t live way out there.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Alvord Desert on the E side of Steens Mountain and the hot springs there are not to be missed. The Pike Creek trail there is awesome as well. If you're looking to get away from people, it's a pretty good area, especially this time of year.

https://www.facebook.com/Alvord-Hot-...4929036894501/
    love that area

Plenty of cool desert stuff in SE Oregon and NW Nevada. If it were me with a 4x4 camper van, I’d get a map and take my chances. I have a 4x4 camper van and do that out there. Not trying to be a dick. Wallowas are cool but might be out of your way. Painted Hills are cool to see. Steens area is cool. Owyhees are cool. Succor Creek, Leslie Gulch area, cool.

If you go out in that area, watch the precip. Anything less than really thick gravel roads get really sticky with some rain. Like big lifts and tire chains sticky.

Edit. If you want remote, check out Jarbidge NV. Not many services out that way so plan ahead.

Crater Lake is a little tougher in winter since the north entrance is closed adds a lot of drive time to go to the south entrance. I would think go south of bend take HWY 31 out towards the Hart mountain refuge there is a nice hot springs there not real primitive at the springs themselves but a nice soak and the area around is cool. Then head to the alvord desert more hot springs and Steens area. Camp out on the lake bed if it is dry it varies this time of year. Get a burger and shake in fields. Not a real direct route between hart mtn and Alvord you have to sink south a bit in to NV but not too bad. After that if you have the time head for Owyhee country and see some of that. Birch creek is a good place. I went to a hot springs somewhere out there that was on an island in the river. Can't remember exactly where but it was fun.

Easten Oregon is pretty awesome really empty. Don't pass up a chance to top of the fuel tank. It has been pretty wet lately so if it looks muddy it is and it is extra sticky. High desert mud has a real way of holding on. I once thought i would never get out on a dirt bike with swing arm and fork totally clogged with mud.

I've never been there but I've heard that the Cowboy Dinner Tree out towards Summer Lake is top notch. Reservation only, weekends only, cash only. Hudge steak or whole roasted chicken are the only main courses. I heard they are BYOB but I might be misremembering.

http://www.cowboydinnertree.net/

Sounds like a great way to cap off a week of bombing around in the desert.

^^^ They are BYOB, and totally worth a visit. The owners are good peeps too.

Another for The Steens and The Alvord. Rather remote out there and breathtakingly gorgeous. The access road to the playa might be sketch if it's wet.

There's plenty to see and do if you wander Eastern Oregon. The Owyhees are also just as remote with the associated questionable road conditions. So if the weather works, it could be terrific.

Thanks fir the input. Hit up Smith Rocks today and hiked. In Bend now. Hoping to get to lakeview or even as far as hart mountain hit springs tonight... then probably heading towards the alvord.

^^FKNA

Those are some nice views.

Did you treat yourselves to a nice hotel + spa day at the end of the trip> After that, it would be the only decent thing to do.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Haha, no spa... and we somehow survived with fond memories.

Quote Originally Posted by CelebratedSkier View Post
    That gravel road...

In 2006 I was on a road trip from Zion back up to Seattle. We passed through Winnemuca at midnight and tried to push on, eventually camping off some dirt road. Tired and hungry the next morning we managed to take a wrong turn off 95 (road atlas mis-read) and ended up crossing into Oregon at Denio. We kept cruising until the road turned to gravel and we realized we didn't have a clue where we were and the atlas was useless. We happened upon Alvord Hot Springs and had a nice morning dip, then proceeded to get a flat tire about 10mi later. Eventually getting back to pavement was a relief and also a huge "WTF" when we realized where we'd ended up. Beautiful country nonetheless!

Isn’t that near where the Stolpa’s got lost?

Wow.
    "Can't you see..."

Southeastern Oregon - Northern Nevada road trip. In the next couple days...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    That gravel road...

In 2006 I was on a road trip from Zion back up to Seattle. We passed through Winnemuca at midnight and tried to push on, eventually camping off some dirt road. Tired and hungry the next morning we managed to take a wrong turn off 95 (road atlas mis-read) and ended up crossing into Oregon at Denio. We kept cruising until the road turned to gravel and we realized we didn't have a clue where we were and the atlas was useless. We happened upon Alvord Hot Springs and had a nice morning dip, then proceeded to get a flat tire about 10mi later. Eventually getting back to pavement was a relief and also a huge "WTF" when we realized where we'd ended up. Beautiful country nonetheless!
    B&W
    Haha, awesome. It would be something to just stumble across the Alvord. This road is actually west of there on the way to Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge. But it is very similar in places to the road on the east of the Steens so I definitely understand you thinking it was.