Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

School Me On Maple Syrup

School me on tapping maples tress and the making maple syrup.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930T using TGR Forums mobile app

You're only authorised to make maple syrup in Canada if you are French Canadian.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

yes ^^ happy plaid wearing Quebecois singing songs and collecting maple syrup by horse drawn cart & sleigh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

There are two schools of thought;

1. Vermont has better maple syrup
    2. Quebec has better maple syrup - tabernac

Its really miles of plastic tubing going to a tin shack collected by guys in PU trucks,

According to a CBC feature I heard there is a huge surplus of maple syrup in the region of tens of millions of pounds

but a marketing board keeps the prices high with a quota system

and if you step out of line they will mess with you

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Its really miles of plastic tubing going to a tin shack collected by guys in PU trucks,

According to a CBC feature I heard there is a huge surplus of maple syrup in the region of tens of millions of pounds

but a marketing board keeps the prices high with a quota system

and if you step out of line they will mess with you
    Syrip mafia?

I've visited a few syrup shacks in Quebec. From the piles and piles of stack wood that they go through, you need to start collecting boiler wood now. Second, the timing of the tapping is a combination of luck of the season, and experience at reading the season to time the optimum time of flow/sugar content. That, and the long term management of your sugar maple stand.

Best of luck!

You don't need tubing. I went to a private shack where sap was collected in buckets. Seems like a shit ton of work, but the owners were doing it right with wine by day and rum and syrup water (partially boiled sap) by night.

When the sap runs be prepared to not do anything else for a few days.

School Me On Maple Syrup

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    There are two schools of thought;

1. Vermont has better maple syrup
    2. Quebec has better maple syrup - tabernac
    Option 1, is only an option to people from Vermont.

and Anglo pro separatists

Quebec sugarhouses boil in lead soldered pans, use at your own risk.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Reverse osmosis.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Reverse osmosis.
    Technology is amazing. Finally a process that makes Vt maple palatable.

Quote Originally Posted by charles martel View Post
    Syrip mafia?

Just another canadian marketing board to control agricultural products eh/

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Quebec sugarhouses boil in lead soldered pans, use at your own risk.
    What!? Are you saying Québécois culture can be partly attributed to an environmental toxin? Sacre bleu!

Pretty much ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Technology is amazing. Finally a process that makes Vt maple palatable.
    lulz
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    You don't need tubing. I went to a private shack where sap was collected in buckets. Seems like a shit ton of work, but the owners were doing it right with wine by day and rum and syrup water (partially boiled sap) by night.

But the tubing does make for less labor and having to monitor the buckets with the tubing to get the sap to the shack.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post

70 % of the stuff is collected in Quecbec and the vast majority will be collected by miles of plastic tubing by producers who are assigned a quota by a marketing board and if you fuck with it they will mess with you

So If yer Canadian we all grew up watching them CBC vignette's of the lifestyle

but now its agri-business

You sure you really wanna know OP? You think you can handle this fuckin game? Cartels, inside jobs, money, fame... some say you don't choose the syrup life, the life chooses you. https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016...le-syrup-heist

40 to 1

A piece of advice a friend of mine learned the hard way. He tapped 40 sugar maples on his land in Ohio, of all places. He boiled it inside on his stove. Got it down to 30-1 when he noticed the drywall tape peeling. It still tasted damn good.

My mom and her husband do this every year.

You know when to tap when it's starting to get above freezing. You don't need anything complicated, there are small-scale taps and buckets/bags...

They collect all the sweetwater, then have a day or two of tending a big outdoor fire with big steel vats boiling off. You don't have to make it thick if you don't want to, many people like a thinner style.

You'll need taps, bags/buckets, a way to store a lot of sweetwater, some big boiling vats of a stable material, firewood for a few days of ongoing bonfire, a good rack for your vats and a decent system to move them around when they're hot and pour and whatnot, canning supplies--jars, lids, whatnot, and the ability to generate copious free time for this when the weather dictates it.
    They usually have 3 different vats going over the fire at once, because it takes so long to boil down and you want to use all your fire efficiently. It's important to pay attention to how much went in and how much has boiled off so you get your ratio to what you want....ratios are a personal preference. I really tend to like it thin, probably because that thinness used to signify, to me--regionally, in my youth--homemade syrup. Thinking on it now, that was likely because people didn't have the fucking time to sit for eons waiting it out by the bonfire and just called it good enough. Anyway, thin is good enough for me, but it's your show, so you make what you like; that's the beauty of it I guess.

It's good to have friends come over for company and stuff when you're boiling, because standing around tending a fire in the cold for days gets old all by yourself....and yeah, like the post above, the folks do it outdoors probably more because it takes some scale of fire and many gallons of boiling liquid to get some yield, but also because trying this indoors just seems like a guaranteed clusterfuck.

the masters of this manage to combine it with some other outdoor project...working on the tractor or graveling the driveway or whatever. You drift back over and check on the fire and look at your fluid levels. You walk the dog and check all your taps and bags/buckets....etc.

If nothing else, by doing this you'll realize that paying $30 for a half gallon is a bargain.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A piece of advice a friend of mine learned the hard way. He tapped 40 sugar maples on his land in Ohio, of all places. He boiled it inside on his stove. Got it down to 30-1 when he noticed the drywall tape peeling. It still tasted damn good.
    Where's the advice in these observations?