Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Firsties anyone?

How early will you show up for lift serviced skiing on a deep day?

Competition is fierce for first tracks at the Vill so any more than 8 inches overnight means being in tram line by maybe 7-7:15; and then likely a delayed opening for 5-60 min. more, after 9 am.

Also, First tracks vs. fresh tracks? is that a thing for you?

I ski that shit the night before, and am well up the skin track the next morning when you wake up.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

SOP around these parts is to arrive at the crack of noon and get first tracks out the gate(s)

A big pow day when there's bound to be masses heading to the resorts? Leave the house around 8:00, on the skin track by 9:00 and getting fresh tracks no later than about 10:00. If I'm going with the masses to the ski areas it's out the door by about 5:00-5:30 so I can beat the traffic and then wait around for the lifts to open, pretty easy to get first-ish chair when you're in the parking lot an hour before they open.

Out the door at 7:45 at front of line at 7:50.

Young man, we don't run down to the lifts early to get a fresh track. We walk to the lifts, late, ski all the tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    How early will you show .......... more than 8 inches overnight ......... that a thing for you?
    thats the same shit your mom asks in the bomb shack you fucking JONG
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Firsties anyone?

What WTF said. Well played.

Fistmas is just around the corner
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Fistmas is just around the corner
    Jiz the season.

Best resort powder skiing is in the afternoon on a big windy storm day, after most folks have gone to work or gone home and the tracks keep getting filled with blown in snow.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Best resort powder skiing is in the afternoon on a big windy storm day, after most folks have gone to work or gone home and the tracks keep getting filled with blown in snow.
    Yep

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Have to agree with the crotchety old phuque. When the wind is stacking the refill in the margins or some great spacing in the wood. The lift is ski on and everyone is tuckered out from fighting the white all morning and sweating inside somewhere.

yea... this
    ​I am not in your hurry

Again with old goat. I used to line up early for first chair. Back before Vail bought KW, I could show up at 8:15 and get in line for first chair after a 3 foot dump. Now there are folks out there in line as early as 7am, the day after a powder day. It is crazy what those Epic folks will do.

Now I either tour on a powder day to avoid the shot show, or just line up after 8:30 for 50th chair or so, and still beat the looks to the best stashes.

If i actually want to ski resort pow, I aim for sleeper days. Either a small storm that grows big overnight or mid week days that start with 4" of fresh with the 6am report but are up to a foot plus by 11am. I had a ton of those days in 15/16, with no one on the hill and faceshots all day. Good times.

This is why I love to heli. You can get first tracks any time of the day.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Up here if you get a storm on sat - as long as you get up there by say thurs - should be able to get freshies.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Up here if you get a storm on sat - as long as you get up there by say thurs - should be able to get freshies.
    you heli?
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

best drop has to be a cut block?<!

a couple years old so the chance of hanging deadfall hooking you goes way down.

eta; this in no way reflects my attitude about my carbon footprint
    Last edited by Gepeto; 11-25-2017 at 02:01 PM.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Mt Hood Skibowl opens at 3pm M-Th, show up to work early, get your shit done and bail for fresh tracks with a clear conscience.

Definitely agree with the free refills comments above, it's amazing how many people call it a day before noon.

I just ski lesser known resorts, show up at 8:45 and ski pow all day.
    You don't get the e-cred when posting about shredding at (insert mega resort name) on your instaface account, but that's not why I'm there...

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot View Post
    you heli?
    sounds like a hoot until you find out that those things are a BITCH to ghostride.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    You don't get the e-cred when posting about shredding at (insert mega resort name) on your instaface account.....
    Name:  5822_480129688691042_452571560_n.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  27.1 KB

Bro, how do your spancers feel about that?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

The other great sleeper day is the clear day after the pow is gone with a lot of wind blowing snow. It's not deep but it's enough. Around here some of the west facing stuff that gets raped during the storms gets good when the post-storm east wind kicks in.
    When we were at Big Sky last year we got about 6 inches the first day and clear but windy after that, with not much snow on the ground, but they kept bombing Big Couloir all week and it stayed soft with all the rocks covered.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Name:  5822_480129688691042_452571560_n.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  27.1 KB

Bro, how do your spancers feel about that?
    They already know how core I am, hence the spancerships.
    The other great sleeper day is the clear day after the pow is gone with a lot of wind blowing snow. It's not deep but it's enough. Around here some of the west facing stuff that gets raped during the storms gets good when the post-storm east wind kicks in.
    When we were at Big Sky last year we got about 6 inches the first day and clear but windy after that, with not much snow on the ground, but they kept bombing Big Couloir all week and it stayed soft with all the rocks covered.
    Thats when that place skis the best, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I just ski lesser known resorts, show up at 8:45 and ski pow all day.
    You don't get the e-cred when posting about shredding at (insert mega resort name) on your instaface account, but that's not why I'm there...
    Yup.