Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    On short days I bring whatever snack I feel like eating- PBJ, Jerky, Salami, mixed nuts, a chunk of some good cheese. Sometimes I just put a couple Gu's in my pocket because its handy. On long days I always carry caffeinated Gu and some sort of energy/hydration tabs in the water bottle and make myself take both regularly.

Your Favorite Awsome Fuel (food) for the Skin Track

Stinger waffle, bacon and peanut butter sandwiches. 500 instant awesome calories packed with protein and carbs. FUEL!

An LJ, a piece of cheese some protien or wtf you will eat

its important to eat something AND drink water

if you are into some kind of extended marathon death march you may wana try something more specific like Hammer perpetuim
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Can of Chernobly in the lot, few tokes of sativa, couple Snickers bars.

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    How has no one said bacon. A tupperware or sandwich bag will last most of a day depending on how long I'm out.
    At the Whole Foods breakfast bar you can buy food by the pound. My go to pot luck contribution for a couple of years was a box full of bacon. $5 and you’re the hero. Would work well for the trailhead too I think.

I love to get those Justin’s nut butter packs, either honey or chocolate, and I’ll bring a pita or tortilla or something to eat it with. Add in a snickers, some water and a little flask of whisky and I’m good to go. On really cold days a thermos of hot chocolate to go with the whisky.

Damn, you guys eat healthy stuff.
    I live on gu for the up, 1-2 an hour, plus a sandwich for lunch when I stopped, typically on top, before I head down.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    From one of my favorite posts on TGR, I use a combination of Tailwind mixed with water + plastic bag of almonds + occasionally some sort of bar or gel. I usually eat very little while touring unless I'm on a particularly long tour though, or it's nice out... stopping to eat unless really necessary just gets you cold.
    As tempting as it would be to be a jackass and say beer/clif bars/snickers/gas station jerky, I gotta admit Tailwind rules. Started using it for trail running long distances because I eat slow as fuck and no one is waiting around for my slow ass to eat peanut butter cliff on a run/race. For long distance stuff, I pretty much always have Tailwind in the water bladder, then add jerky/cheese/energy bars.

Can’t stomach Cliff bars any more. I’m currently buying KIND bars (20 varieties of tastiness) and Sunrype Fruit bars (dates or dried apricots if I’m out) by the case load, with chicken drum-sticks (marinated and baked), cheese curds (or cheese sticks if I’ve been in the USA recently), and fresh fruit (unless it’s too cold). Herbal tea or water (with Gatorade) depending on the temp.

honestly pb and honey is my fave

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    it's amazing how divine a PB&J can be at certain times
    Absolutely! Some things learned & loved in childhood are worth keeping as an adult. Skiing, riding a bike, eating PBJ.

I'm prone to over-enjoying the PBJ (raspberry) on a weekly basis so they don't have the same Golden Flavor if I take one into the hills. Sometimes just a jelly flavor change does the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    if you are into some kind of extended marathon death march you may wana try something more specific like Hammer perpetuim
    Haven't used Perpetuum but Recoverite is MAGIC. Any effort 3hrs +, bam. Amazing how fresh the legs feel with, as opposed to without. Try it. I'm a skeptic, doubted the magic. Proved wrong, now I'm a Hammer shill!

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Absolutely! Some things learned & loved in childhood are worth keeping as an adult. Skiing, riding a bike, eating PBJ.

I'm prone to over-enjoying the PBJ (raspberry) on a weekly basis so they don't have the same Golden Flavor if I take one into the hills. Sometimes just a jelly flavor change does the trick!
    Blueberry jam is a great change of pace from grape jelly or raspberry jam.

I don't really tour much anymore, But I think About it,

1. Peanut butter and Honey is BETTER! than PBJ

2. Good food for the back pack - Just in case, - Hickory Farms Beef Summer Sausage 20 ounce and a sharp knife.
    You want to spice it up take a chunk of cheese and some mustard. but that giant meat dick will satisfy and save your life if you get stuck
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Stinger waffle, bacon and peanut butter sandwiches. 500 instant awesome calories packed with protein and carbs. FUEL!
    But you don't tour.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    But you don't tour.
    Actually I do tour, but alone, I have not found touring partners who understand my frequent smoke breaks
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    peanut allergy hype has killed the pb&j.
    People dissin' GW Carver like that. Shameful.

Food wise I go with cliff bars, salami & cheese, chocolate, trail mix etc. On most days, I'll eat a reasonable breakfast and then probably have one snack. On the bigger day I struggle as the higher intensity kills my appetite and the "eat before and after" approach is not really enough.

I'd like to know more about the drinks. At one time, a XC skier/biker freak friend of mine turned me on to Accelerade (I believe) and it seems like is worked pretty good. Which of these drinks are the kind of thing your sip on all day to maintain energy? Do you also take water for hydration or is it an all in one? Or should I consider shots, blocks etc. and just eat a little all day? I definitely do better with multiple small portions.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Actually I do tour, but alone, I have not found touring partners who understand my frequent smoke breaks
    Does it look like I was talking to you? I wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Food wise I go with cliff bars, salami & cheese, chocolate, trail mix etc. On most days, I'll eat a reasonable breakfast and then probably have one snack. On the bigger day I struggle as the higher intensity kills my appetite and the "eat before and after" approach is not really enough.

I'd like to know more about the drinks. At one time, a XC skier/biker freak friend of mine turned me on to Accelerade (I believe) and it seems like is worked pretty good. Which of these drinks are the kind of thing your sip on all day to maintain energy? Do you also take water for hydration or is it an all in one? Or should I consider shots, blocks etc. and just eat a little all day? I definitely do better with multiple small portions.
    Back in the day (when I used to road ride), Cytomax worked for me. It tasted way too sweet at the beginning of the ride and then mid-ride on a hot day, it almost tasted on the tart side.

These days, the hot companies seem to be Nuun and Skratch labs, but I'm interested in others' comments, since I haven't paid attention to this in the past few years.

Usually, cycle shops like Excel Sports and Colorado Cyclist are a go-to place for the current stuff. I haven't looked at this from the ultra-running perspective, but perhaps DIY Steve will comment.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-23-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

an ultra runner coach suggested Hammer Perpetium he drinks a 500 ml bottle every hr even marks his bottles in 15 min intervals , his take was that everybody is different so see what your body can handle

so I tried it, went 20 hr on nothing but perpetuim & hammer shots, I didnt bonk but I felt slow, not familiar enough to blame the product so it was just me

IMO unless you are racing or something just eat real food and drink plain water

was at interbike one year and there was every kind of energy drink you could imagine out in the desert but tno water, the cytomax probably tasted the least sickly but then we found a guy demoing hydration packs who had beer/hotdogs and plain water
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Simple sugars for the first two hours, protein at 2 hours and repeat

I mix up the sugars based on what is on sale

Epic makes really good paleo snacks

You should look into modifying your paleo diet during endurance, studies show you can add sugar during high output and go right back into a keto state.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Fig newtons, corn nuts, apple, cheese, sometimes some jerky.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ... IMO unless you are racing or something just eat real food and drink plain water
    Good point! That's pretty much why I lost track of all of this stuff ;-)

Also (forgot to mention earlier), If you watch the TDF guys transfer the contents of their musettes into their cycling jerseys, you'll see a lot of real food in there, along with some energy bars and such.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

But you don't tour.
    Nope. I do high strenuous outdoor activities though. Figured the fuel that helped me haul 60+lbs around the Wyoming mountains for miles on end would help a bunch of weight weenies.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Nope. I do high strenuous outdoor activities though. Figured the fuel that helped me haul 60+lbs around the Wyoming mountains for miles on end would help a bunch of weight weenies.
    Now that we've got your belly weight out of the way, how much was your pack?

Now that we've got your belly weight out of the way, how much was your pack?
    Lemme guess, you just carry a bag of dicks and snack on them when hungry?