Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Your Favorite Awsome Fuel (food) for the Skin Track

I used to do the Cliff Bar thing, and a couple of years ago, I went Paleo / grain free.

One of my favorite fuels is a mixture of honey, sesame tahini and a bit of Celtic Sea Salt which I load into a squeeze tube. My body loves the mix of fat, protein, sugar, and electolytes, and it's nutritionally dense so I don't have to carry a lot.

In case you're a fan, this Tahini (Kevala) is an incredible deal and it's Organic/GMO free:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_2xa7mzy3gl_e

What works for you?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-22-2017 at 02:40 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

So sorry to hear you're Paleo!

I do the Clif bars... Two at lunch and I'm set for the whole day. They're aren't great, but do the job energy wise. Open to hear others ideas/food. I'm vegetarian but cant stomach tahini so thats out.

Almond butter is a bit easier on the stomach, but it's a bit thicker, so it might not pass through a squeeze tube.

[edit] and if course, you could thin it out a bit with almond oil.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-22-2017 at 07:40 AM.
    Galibier Design

Clif bars, and Haribo sour gummy bears.

I typically eat a 1500ish calorie breakfast beforehand though- eggs, bacon, hash browns, cheese, salsa and then a 50gram protein smoothie made with whole milk and mixed berries. Plus a big black coffee.

I´m not that much into this Paleo stuff, but if I were, I would carry firstly dried mammoth steaks, I guess.

From one of my favorite posts on TGR, I use a combination of Tailwind mixed with water + plastic bag of almonds + occasionally some sort of bar or gel. I usually eat very little while touring unless I'm on a particularly long tour though, or it's nice out... stopping to eat unless really necessary just gets you cold.

Ya, the topic definitely spills over to breakfast strategy. I'm also a fan of big ones to minimize eating during the tour.

I also like to hydrate as much as possible ahead of time, to not have to carry tons of water, with trail food being minimal for me as well ... just a Cliff bar substitute for food.

When I'm too lazy (or running late) to mix up my glop, I'll throw some almonds and raisins in a baggie and call it good.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

i have a hard time processing cliff bars because they are so dense. they sit in my stomach too long

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i have a hard time processing cliff bars because they are so dense. they sit in my stomach too long
    same, especially during exercise. I occasionally can tolerate that density after some exercise but that’s it.

Good breakfast in the morning with lots of water. Less than 1000 vertical meter tour, 2-3 power gels in the pocket. More vertical than that, also extra cookies or sandwich or similar. 1,5l of water. I have always snickers or two in backpack just in case.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    lots of water
    1.5L water before any exercise is a minimum for me... try to drink ~3.8L (1 gallon) per day as a minimum on non-exercise days, obviously more when exercising. Hydration during endurance exercise is I think even more important than nutrition, although obviously both are important.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    1.5L water before any exercise is a minimum for me... try to drink ~3.8L (1 gallon) per day as a minimum on non-exercise days, obviously more when exercising. Hydration during endurance exercise is I think even more important than nutrition, although obviously both are important.
    Yeah I know, 1,5l has slowly came my normal amount of water during tour. Usually my tours are about 1000 vertical meters, last about 3-5hrs. Usually I drink about 1l of water on breakfast, then 0,5l on the way to trailhead, 1,5l for tour(more if I know it's long day/hot spring day etc.). Then I have water waiting at car/sled. Works for me 😊

Sent from my PLK-L01 using TGR Forums mobile app

Oranges and apples on the up, Jerky at the summit

I barely ever eat anything when touring but if I do I go with a hard boiled egg (prepeel at home) and I have a couple mini/egg sized tuppies so just toss in there
    I'm not a paleo person but I think that also fits in those guidelines as well
    Then a thermos of tea or if we're getting really crazy maybe some hot cider/ rum
    skid luxury

it's all about water for me. oh wait, i've never toured before. ok, it's all about water for me for just about everything. i just need tiny caloric boosts if i'm hydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    I barely ever eat anything when touring but if I do I go with a hard boiled egg (prepeel at home) and I have a couple mini/egg sized tuppies so just toss in there
    I'm not a paleo person but I think that also fits in those guidelines as well
    Then a thermos of tea or if we're getting really crazy maybe some hot cider/ rum
    My wife is a big hard boiled egg fan as well. Her stomach doesn't tolerate nuts, nut butter, tahini, etc.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    it's all about water for me. oh wait, i've never toured before. ok, it's all about water for me for just about everything. i just need tiny caloric boosts if i'm hydrated.
    if you ever make it out this way in winter we can rent you a split board and take you on a fun mellow tour

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    My wife is a big hard boiled egg fan as well. Her stomach doesn't tolerate nuts, nut butter, tahini, etc.
    oh I have no problem with nuts- that's my 2nd choice food

but as I typed that feel that I tee'd that one up. where's buster to make a nut joke?!
    skid luxury

i will make it that way! i have a splitboard. i just don't have the bindings and boots yet. someday soon!

A couple sausage mcmuffins an hour before starting, and pounding coffee (and some water) right up until start-time and I'm good to go for a few hours. If it's a big day I'll have a bowl of greek yogurt and granola before I leave home. Snickers or Pro-bars if I need mid-workout calories. Easy.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Kinda depends on the length of the tour, but here are some of my favorites:
    peanut butter/honey sandwich for lunch
    Stinger-honey/ginseng goo for the skin track
    dark chocolate
    one nalgene w/water, 1/2 liter with emergen-c or nuun
    jerky
    almonds
    sunflower seeds
    snickers bars
    cliff bars
    Stinger wafer things

Marijuana and water. It's all you need

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Caffeine and thc to start.

Salt and fat to keep it going.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    A couple sausage mcmuffins an hour before starting, and pounding coffee (and some water) right up until start-time
    how much toilet paper do you carry?

coca leaves and organic prunes
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang