Page 109 of 149 FirstFirst ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 3712
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    YES. The ability to instantly toggle between stun and kill settings is awesome. Seems like it wasn't too long ago that I had a ski(s) for each. If there was more season in front of us I'd suggest a bunch of guys who own one or more of this class of skis getting together for our own demo to the death.
    We hold multiple events up yonder every season. Head north young man…

here to confirm the mF99 is a spring resort masher

MF99s are great - the more I ski on them the more I like them. Like really like.

I know this is a bit of a duh thing to say, but I've found that how stiff they feel is really dependent on what ski you ski them back to back with. Just ski them alone and they feel fine, ski back to back with woodsman96s and they feel on the softer side. Woodsman102s float noticably better in deeper softer snow, but I prefer MF99s on harder/shallower snow.

I ahve thought about going forward 1.5 on them as well to get sligthly more supportive / more tail, but have not decided yet.

182s are too short a longest length still imho.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post

182s are too short a longest length still imho.
    Wait what ski has a 182 as the longest length?

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Wait what ski has a 182 as the longest length?
    185 but measures @181.5….

I would kinda like to retract the un-nuanced mf99 stoke - my pair really struggled in spring slush/corn/bumps today. At least compared to MF108s for which Blister's comparison of similar flex def does not hold for my pairs.

MF99s are not supportive enough to shine in these conditions - just forget about hate fucking the mounntain, in spite of their loose shape and weight. The shovels are too soft, or the previously mentioned centered inbalance / titanal binding mat mighht be at fault? With the mount point being too far back in the cambered section. I might be the issue too of course, shit technique and all that. I dunno. 99s are just noticably more all over the place in these conditions than same length 108s, and you have to want them to do stuff to do it.

Mounting them forward a bit could perhaps help (very noticable difference with 192s 108s at least), or it could be that my pair is on the softer end of the spectrum (ordered new pairs to see if I can find a stiffer pair (free return shipment)). TBC

So def still like them, just want a stiffer pair.

182 mf108s at + 1.5 are a lot of fun though

Have you looked at the Praxis Slugger?

102 with a custom heavy core and stiffer flex might be what you’re after

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I would kinda like to retract the un-nuanced mf99 stoke - my pair really struggled in spring slush/corn/bumps today. At least compared to MF108s for which Blister's comparison of similar flex def does not hold for my pairs.

MF99s are not supportive enough to shine in these conditions - just forget about hate fucking the mounntain, in spite of their loose shape and weight. The shovels are too soft, or the previously mentioned centered inbalance / titanal binding mat mighht be at fault? With the mount point being too far back in the cambered section. I might be the issue too of course, shit technique and all that. I dunno. 99s are just noticably more all over the place in these conditions than same length 108s, and you have to want them to do stuff to do it.

Mounting them forward a bit could perhaps help (very noticable difference with 192s 108s at least), or it could be that my pair is on the softer end of the spectrum (ordered new pairs to see if I can find a stiffer pair (free return shipment)). TBC

So def still like them, just want a stiffer pair.

182 mf108s at + 1.5 are a lot of fun though

Anyone know more about/get a chance to ski the new m-pro 85? Not sexy like the free, but I'm looking forward to this update. I have the 84's now and like them quite a bit.

The MF99-plan worked pretty well. There was a bit of variance wrt weight and stiffness between the three new pairs, so choose the stiffest l/r ski out of the bunch, and mounted them at +1.

It seems kinda counter intuitive that going forward is going to make them feel stronger, but being slightly more forward in the cambered section and having sligthly more tail (the more supportive part of the ski) make them a bit more potent. The sligthly stiffer pair probably didn't hurt either. I was kinda surprised at how big of a difference going +1.5 on the 192 108s made at my weight, so tried to replicate something of the same here. Went +1 and as the +1-5 mount on my 182 108s feels like it migth have been better at +1.

Sadly a pair of 178 M-Pro 99s did not turn up in time for the weekend, so I did not get to try them.

I am also not a great fan of overly matching of skis and bindings, but could not help myself in this case - it seemed like a shame not to do it. Mounted at +1.5, so same as the MF118s. The PR-OTO's stiffer tails are probably going to eat my scrawny ass alive, so I better work on my strength and ability to just send over the summer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5703.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	464.4 KB 
ID:	414097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5702.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	291.4 KB 
ID:	414098
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 04-23-2022 at 10:45 AM.

The Dynastar Thread

So, what’s the consensus on the MF99 185? So say it’s great others aren’t so sure. At 200-lbs but on 5’ 8” looking at a pair but wondering if they’ll be too short. Love my 192 MF108.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

The Dynastar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    So, what’s the consensus on the MF99 185? So say it’s great others aren’t so sure. At 200-lbs but on 5’ 8” looking at a pair but wondering if they’ll be too short. Love my 192 MF108.
    It's a lighter, quicker, more playful version of the mf108. If you feel that you want more quickness edge to edge and are willing to sacrifice some stability then you'll probably like it. I prefer the longer effective edge of the Menace 98.
    Last edited by jackattack; 04-24-2022 at 01:44 PM.

I think my 179 M-Free 99s mounted at +1cm rip everything well. Even liked them on ice.

Check the length of the 185….the 179 is a true 179 but I think the 185 M-Free 99 measures a bit short (182ish)

PS thinking of selling my 180cm Protos for super cheap. Cause I barely skied them this year as I have too many wide skis.

2 mounts for Pivot 18s (287mm bsl) at +3cm and +2cm.

Skis are super mint otherwise.

Will post in GS shortly. But thinking $150US + $20 shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I suspect they’ll feel like much less ski than the 192 MF 108s, based on my brief experience with the 182 MF108.

yes, way less ski than 192s - they will ski much shorter and are softer too. I suspect 185s will feel really short to heavier and/or stronger skiers. So the 185/181.5sp is a good match if you want something short and nimble, but if you want something like a narrower, snappier version of 192 108s then I would suggest holding off until Dynastar introduces a longer length at some point in time.

I like them a lot, even if my posts above seem a bit negative. They are a terrific blend of playfulness, looseness and ability to make whatver turnshape you want. They are not turny (yes, I am looking at you R10s) and do what you tell them to, something I really like in a ski.

Bought a pair of 192 mfree108 from optics last week. Was able to get one spring day in before the season ends. Fun slush ski. I'm coming from a Jeffery108 and I've only spent a day on the mfrees but from what I can tell so far, the mfree has a higher speed limit and does better on the groomers. Jeffery is more playful. Nothing surprising there. Didn't get a chance to ski the trees with the mfree as anything off piste was crap.

From what I've read on this thread, it doesn't seem to be a problem to go +/- 2 cm on mounting point. The existing mount puts me at about -0.5 from rec. I'm used to a more playful, progressive mounted ski like the jeffery. Is mounting the mfree forward 2 cm going to make it feel more playful? I'm thinking it won't. For those of you who did mount forward, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Bought a pair of 192 mfree108 from optics last week. Was able to get one spring day in before the season ends. Fun slush ski. I'm coming from a Jeffery108 and I've only spent a day on the mfrees but from what I can tell so far, the mfree has a higher speed limit and does better on the groomers. Jeffery is more playful. Nothing surprising there. Didn't get a chance to ski the trees with the mfree as anything off piste was crap.

From what I've read on this thread, it doesn't seem to be a problem to go +/- 2 cm on mounting point. The existing mount puts me at about -0.5 from rec. I'm used to a more playful, progressive mounted ski like the jeffery. Is mounting the mfree forward 2 cm going to make it feel more playful? I'm thinking it won't. For those of you who did mount forward, what do you think?
    Going forward makes them spin better, but makes the tail more punishing. If you like how they ski I’d leave em.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Want.
    You ski them at LBD? Any other mags there ski the Mpro108 who can chime in?

I did and it tempered the emotion, somewhat to my surprise.

The pair I skied was mounted 1 cm forward, which I thought was not the right place for my foot. I'd like to ski it again on the line, or even back a tad. But it felt like a traditional charger... damp, fast, good edge hold, too much of a freight train for dense coastal snow. A little looser than the LP105 but same general vibe.

I think I prefer the MFree for its energy and modern balance of properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I did and it tempered the emotion, somewhat to my surprise.

The pair I skied was mounted 1 cm forward, which I thought was not the right place for my foot. I'd like to ski it again on the line, or even back a tad. But it felt like a traditional charger... damp, fast, good edge hold, too much of a freight train for dense coastal snow. A little looser than the LP105 but same general vibe.

I think I prefer the MFree for its energy and modern balance of properties.
    Interesting. My one nitpick with the MFree is a bit more energy back in the heavy chop we can get at Alpental. Was hoping the Pro would help with that and give a bit more dampness top end without taking all the fun of the MFree out. I've had the MFree at 50mph+, but the dampness of the LP105 at those speeds is addictive.

For Alpental I think the mfree108 is the way to go in the 192 length. It is so much nicer to have a loose and playful shape with a backbone for the snow and terrain at Alpental.

I mounted the 192 mpro108 forward 1cm. I still stand by that decision for inland/continental snow conditions, and very firm snow. I thought it felt extremely balanced in that position. At Alpental I think I'm with Norseman, at +1, they have too much tail in heavy, dense snow; creating extra work to pivot.

I still really want to try the 182 Mpro108, as if it has the characteristics of the 192 but in a shorter package it could be a really fun ski, and better at a place like Alpental.

I’ve spent *a lot* of time on the 192 mf108s this season. Like 70+ days worth amount of time. Much of those days were spent hunting whatever holding north facing aspects I could still find at The Mountain Formerly Known as Squaw Valley during a 3 month dry spell and running over almost every rock possible in that pursuit. Miraculously, I’ve only managed to put 2 small core shots in the base during the course of this abuse.

I even moved them up to +1 in the name of science during the dry spell. Although I like them there, I prefer them on the line. I’ll probably move this pair to -1 eventually to figure out where I should mount my next pair.

Whatever words I’m capable of mustering will not do these skis justice. They’re the friend you can grab a beer with after being apart for a decade and feel like no time has passed. They’re the temptress smiling at you seductively from across the way. They’re the helping hand reaching down to pick you up when you’re down. They’re the mentor encouraging you to step outside of your comfort zone.

Anyone spent time on both the MF108 and the Blizzard Rustler 11 and want to share their findings? Very similar style skis.

What is an LP105 in the 184cm+/- length? Minimal sidecut, smooth/damp, softer tip, but stout otherwise, small tip rocker.

I have now blown out 2 edges on my pair. Soo Sad... They are the best for hauling ass on Mammoth wind buff. I now have 2 skis where an edge needs to the outside edge, but that isn't going to work.

So, what else could replace them?
    He who has the most fun wins!

The Dynastar Thread

I’m putting my chips on Heritage Labs r99

That said, new mpro108 has a lot of the qualities of the LPR in a modern design and comes in a 182. It’ll be worth a demo for sure.

The current 189 bonafide 97 is the closest similar feel "currently out there" ski I've found to the 192 LP105, that I've tried at least, but haven't skied the 183 B97s though and they're taking out some weight and rubber for next season.

Not sure in a 105-110ish uf that length with that level of plush ride after that, I think the 187 down showdown 105 is similarly quiet but they're hard to source too.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk