Page 37 of 149 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    First impressions of the m-free 108.

Conditions:
    8" new yesterday, chopped up and skied out. Wind buff. Pockets of unskied powder. White ice & hardpack in spots from last week's rain storm at 50 degrees that then cooled to 25 degrees.

The ski is:
    Fun.
    Not a pro-rider.
    Not a proto.
    What I've wanted for a long while.

192 length was spot on. Mount point very similar to billygoat feel but maybe a tad more effective edge.

Maybe in bumps I wanted a tad less tail but for the most part happy with the mount point. Curious about maybe -1.5? Mine have pivots so no adjustment for me.

I felt the feel takes the best parts of the x106, Cham 2.0 but eliminates the goofy flat tapered tail.

Much damper and more solid feeling than x106 or Cham 2.0. Does not get knocked around.

Definitely not a pro-rider. But for most resort skiing thats fine. Doesn't have the brutal edge grip of a pro-rider. It makes up for it in quickness and very large sweet spot.

Tail can be loaded for launch like the goat.

Can push the tips or ski more neutral like a goat. Very fun in offpiste mixed snow. You can really push them with an active poppy style. Found myself trying to pop off everything I could.

The influence of sander hadley, Richard Permin, Conner Pelton etc are apparent in these skis. A ski you can charge on but also fool around and jump off stuff.

Flex is round with a big sweet spot. I'd say medium flex overall with stiff flex underfoot. I never felt like I wanted them to be stiffer.

Fun on groomers. The forward mount definitely lends itself towards a more neutral stance but you can definitely lay them over and they'll carve.

I would recommend these skis to goat enthusiasts as a "b" ski, fans of the x106/Cham who want something less hooky and a tail less punishing.
    Any more days/feedback on these? I missed them at BBI, but they are still high on my list for DD slot in the quiver.

They are awesome? Another mag is going to ski them today, he's not a shill like me so we'll see what he says

Skiing my AD 192’s. Holy shit. May be the perfect snowbird ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

The Dynastar Thread

Wow — first post in the Dynastar thread but after a day on the 192 M-Free I’ve fucking drank the Kool-Aid.

Stats: 6ft 205# nekkid

Conditions - 1 week since last snow
    Temps were cold on the North/West aspects with smooth wind buff and chalk. South/East aspects were sunny with a nice 1” of slush in places later in the afternoon.

One phrase to sum it up— this is the ski I wanted the woodsman 108 to be... in fact this is the ski I’ve been looking for, for a LONG TIME!

The morning started with steep firm groomers and oh boy did these guys shine; they hooked up incredibly well and urged you to pressure the tips, and when you did they responsed very well. Despite the tail splay and tail rocker the tail never once slid out from me, that is until I wanted it to! As soon as I wanted to slarve a turn or slash a bump they were sideways.

Later we cruised off piste to some wind loaded chalk and this is where they came ALIVE. Something I forgot was what loading up a ski felt like (billy goats don’t allow this) but wow skiing just continued to improve and was way too much fun.

After lunch the sun continued to bake the south aspects and things corned up with about 1-2” of slush on the S/SE slopes. Again these skis impressed me, they’re lighter than my Goats and I was expected to get knocked around by the heavy slush but that did not happen.

We ended the day on some high angle chalk on the shaded aspects of the upper mountain. I was able to really open it up and let em rip down a big face; they were not phased. No chatter. Steady, fast, and FUN!! Fuck some G’s were felt and I was grinning ear to ear!!

Heres a photo sequence showing how much energy the ski has!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0472.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	390.4 KB 
ID:	317039

Views:	139 
Size:	392.8 KB 
ID:	317040

Views:	134 
Size:	390.2 KB 
ID:	317041

Views:	133 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	317038

Views:	130 
Size:	625.1 KB 
ID:	317042

Stoked and will be picking up a pair soon!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Wow — first post in the Dynastar thread but after a day on the 192 M-Free I’ve fucking drank the Kool-Aid.

Stats: 6ft 205# nekkid

Conditions - 1 week since last snow
    Temps were cold on the North/West aspects with smooth wind buff and chalk. South/East aspects were sunny with a nice 1” of slush in places later in the afternoon.

One phrase to sum it up— this is the ski I wanted the woodsman 108 to be... in fact this is the ski I’ve been looking for, for a LONG TIME!

The morning started with steep firm groomers and oh boy did these guys shine; they hooked up incredibly well and urged you to pressure the tips, and when you did they responsed very well. Despite the tail splay and tail rocker the tail never once slid out from me, that is until I wanted it to! As soon as I wanted to slarve a turn or slash a bump they were sideways.

Later we cruised off piste to some wind loaded chalk and this is where they came ALIVE. Something I forgot was what loading up a ski felt like (billy goats don’t allow this) but wow skiing just continued to improve and was way too much fun.

After lunch the sun continued to bake the south aspects and things corned up with about 1-2” of slush on the S/SE slopes. Again these skis impressed me, they’re lighter than my Goats and I was expected to get knocked around by the heavy slush but that did not happen.

We ended the day on some high angle chalk on the shaded aspects of the upper mountain. I was able to really open it up and let em rip down a big face; they were not phased. No chatter. Steady, fast, and FUN!! Fuck some G’s were felt and I was grinning ear to ear!!

Heres a photo sequence showing how much snow energy the ski has!!

Views:	135 
Size:	390.4 KB 
ID:	317039

Views:	139 
Size:	392.8 KB 
ID:	317040

Views:	134 
Size:	390.2 KB 
ID:	317041

Views:	133 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	317038

Views:	130 
Size:	625.1 KB 
ID:	317042

Stoked and will be picking up a pair soon!

Thanks for the extensive review. This ski sounds very intriguing and I know you’re a fellow Goat lover as well. I have been waiting to hear more feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    Thanks for the extensive review. This ski sounds very intriguing and I know you’re a fellow Goat lover as well. I have been waiting to hear more feedback.
    Also appreciate the review. I'd love to hear more about what you feel the MFree brings that the Woodsman doesn't. These are the 2 I'm most interested in for my DD quiver slot.

Edit: Saw your additional feedback in the ON3P thread. I have skied the Woodsman 108 and agree it doesn't have quite as much playfulness as I hoped, though it's damp without feeling like a "crusher". Your feedback makes me more interested in the MFree. Please tell me the graphics look good in person because the marble just isn't doing it for me in the pictures I've seen.

The Dynastar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    Sure thing!!

Something my review didn’t elaborate on was the playfulness of the ski — they ski switch very well. Also they are not demanding; you can ski em neutral or forward just don’t get backseat.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    This is exactly what I envision the M108 to be, a Woodsman with a more setback mount point and the feel associated with that. I know its close, Woodsman is about -6 and the MFree is about -8 or 9 but its also what I wanted the Woods to be. Thanks for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Please tell me the graphics look good in person because the marble just isn't doing it for me in the pictures I've seen.
    On snow these things are real lookers — several folks on the lift commented. Honestly it’s just nice to see a new take on a ski graphic.

As a side note it sure looks like something my wife pinned on Pinterest for our living room remodel but in person with the new gold p15s these things are SHARP!

Any advice for where to mount the X106 in 183? Blister has the 188 factory rec at -11.45 cm from cord center. I'm guessing that's on the line. Mags been pleased with factory rec?

My 188’s are on ze line and I wouldn’t move them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    My 188’s are on ze line and I wouldn’t move them.
    Thanks. I read a previous post in this thread by Leavenworth saying he liked -1. I usually start on the line and if it requires more holes so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Thanks. I read a previous post in this thread by Leavenworth saying he liked -1. I usually start on the line and if it requires more holes so be it.
    I skied them at -1 and liked the line better. Allowed a more neutral stance yet you could still drive the tips if needed. LVS has a very forward driving style, he’s slowly coming around tho...

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I skied them at -1 and liked the line better. Allowed a more neutral stance yet you could still drive the tips if needed. LVS has a very forward driving style, he’s slowly coming around tho...
    Appreciate the comments. I'm pretty neutral, so I bet the line will be optimal.

BTW, any shorter fellas, the 174's and 182's X106 with the 18-19 top sheets are only $299 on Steep and Cheap.

Oops, evo.com - not S&C.

Day 2 on the M-free.

Conditions: re-frozen hardpack in the AM with a storm that came in at 11:00 which dropped 6” with a good amount of wind in play.

Again — I was really impressed with the versatility of this ski, had the opportunity to take it into some tight chutes and it easily pivoted when needed but also felt comfortable straight lining when I wanted to. Something I noted was that the tips chattered a bit more when uncorking it on the several inches of snow over the the previous days sun crust. This surprised me given the amount of PU in the tips and weight, but not having a full wood core to the edges was at play here I suspect. Also maybe I noticed it more because the Goat is so damp and that is all I have skied on for the last 2 years. Regardless the tip chatter wasn’t unsettling and the ski has great suspension.

Something I noticed today was the playful side of the ski — especially when the new snow started stacking up! It was a blast skiing switch off little side hits or buttering the tips; whew, too much fun!

On snow picture

Name:	IMG_3500.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	317197

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I’m super surprised how the shitty tune on the new ones fucking destroyed my knee.
    How many people have had this tune issue? I have a pair of the new ones, and I'm wondering what exactly I need to have tuned so that I don't bust my knee up. I'm honestly afraid to take them out as is, after reading this. I'm sure it's a simple fix, but I haven't seen anyone say what the exact fix is. Was it base high, edge high, edge issues, what? If you could elaborate a little, my knee would appreciate it.

Before I ski them again I’ve got months of rehab. But before I do that I’m going to basegrind and set the bevels.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Was it for sure the tune, or was it possibly an icing issue due to poor base/edge fit?

I picked up a pair of X106's recently based largely on the positive feedback here, and the build quality/fit and finish is mediocre at best. Luckily I haven't mounted them yet, because I fully expect Dynastar to be replacing the pair I got. I have a gap between the base and edge on one ski that's about 2 feet long and wide enough to slide a credit card through.

Disappointingly poor fit and finish from such an esteemed brand. When you examine them closely, they look and feel like a cheaply made ski.

These ones are built like old school. No finish issues. First run on them and it got weird. It felt like 0* base bevel.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Any advice for where to mount the X106 in 183? Blister has the 188 factory rec at -11.45 cm from cord center. I'm guessing that's on the line. Mags been pleased with factory rec?
    i went on the line with my 182s and have no reason to move them. FWIW - i had mounted first gen cham 107 -2 and 2nd gen at -1
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Was it for sure the tune, or was it possibly an icing issue due to poor base/edge fit?

I picked up a pair of X106's recently based largely on the positive feedback here, and the build quality/fit and finish is mediocre at best. Luckily I haven't mounted them yet, because I fully expect Dynastar to be replacing the pair I got. I have a gap between the base and edge on one ski that's about 2 feet long and wide enough to slide a credit card through.

Disappointingly poor fit and finish from such an esteemed brand. When you examine them closely, they look and feel like a cheaply made ski.
    Not normal on the X106. Have them replaced. I have handled several pairs are all were tight fit and finish wise.

Can confirm the wacky factory tune on the orange x106's (182). I just spent a few hours in the garage setting the side edge bevel. Coming from the factory it ranged from 0-3+ degrees from my observations so required quite a few passes.

On the plus side, the sidewall was very easy to remove to get better access to the edges.

Going in for a grind is recommended!

Overall the ski felt great on snow after the tune, though I should have gone for the 188.

anyone skiing the menace 98? looking for an all mountain freestyle ski that I can charge down groomers but also playful for natural hits and glades

Another one on the line w/ 182 x106's that are first quality finish here.