Page 46 of 149 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 3712

The Dynastar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Just checking in to say, I am continually impressed by the mfree118. Pretty much been my daily pick as a ski since it started getting soft here.
    This. Gotta say whoever said give these 5 days before making any assumptions was bang on.

Just had day 3 and 4 on my 118mm Dynastar Protos at Whistler. Yesterday it was dumping throughout the day, refills all afternoon. Skied some big soft bumps (eg Fraggle on Blackcomb) and the Protos were awesome. Perfect tool. They slither and turn so quick. So fun. Today was puking and deep.

My groomer issues on these from day 1 have disappeared. Learning to open my legs and push hard on the downhill ski, and ride off the tails a bit and they rip. Feeling balanced. Had more fun on these today than I did on my Faction Candide 5.0s yesterday.

Still mounted at -6.1cm (+3cm).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9055.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	898.7 KB 
ID:	356012

Name:	IMG_9045.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	733.2 KB 
ID:	356006
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-02-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    open my legs and push hard

Any comments on 184 LP105 mount point?

25.5 boot mounted on the line and the skis feel a bit sluggish. There is another set of toe holes that would put me at +2.0cm. Between the two mounts there is juuust enough room (maybe?) to redrill at +1.0cm.

Ya ya I know.. #searchjong....

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post

25.5 boot mounted on the line and the skis feel a bit sluggish. There is another set of toe holes that would put me at +2.0cm. Between the two mounts there is juuust enough room (maybe?) to redrill at +1.0cm.

get a real boot that fits? you're a dad now you need a 175ish ski
    Last edited by waxman; 01-03-2021 at 06:12 PM.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    This. Gotta say whoever said give these 5 days before making any assumptions was bang on.

Just had day 3 and 4 on my 118mm Dynastar Protos at Whistler. Yesterday it was dumping throughout the day, refills all afternoon. Skied some big soft bumps (eg Fraggle on Blackcomb) and the Protos were awesome. Perfect tool. They slither and turn so quick. So fun. Today was puking and deep.

My groomer issues on these from day 1 have disappeared. Learning to open my legs and push hard on the downhill ski, and ride off the tails a bit and they rip. Feeling balanced. Had more fun on these today than I did on my Faction Candide 5.0s yesterday.

Still mounted at -6.1cm (+3cm).

Name:	IMG_9055.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	898.7 KB 
ID:	356012

Name:	IMG_9045.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	733.2 KB 
ID:	356006
    I may have said something about that in my original review. I'm having to remember everything I said about the proto after my first day on the m-free 108, lol.

The 108 and 118 are different skis, but they both take some breaking in. I had a few hesitations after skiing groomers on the 108, but at the end of the day the skis started feeling a lot better. A lot more fun, even on ice and packed powder. Moguls are also a lot of fun - similar maneuverability as the proto, but the smaller more manageable waist made them more fun.

I'll probably do another fairly exhaustive review on the m-free 108, but for now I'll insert a couple first impressions:

Break the skis in. Talk of edge high or bad tunes I think stems largely from the agressive camber profile. Maybe detune the tips and tail.

Turn radius seems a little longer than 20m on the 108. May change my mind after skiing more snow.

Mount point seems to be a controversial topic here, but I think the M-free line has a good amount of variability compared to the M-pro line. I would suggest that whatever your decision is, you ski it at least 3 days before you decide to remount.

Tip splay is higher on the 108 than the 118. Getting the contact points in the tip and tail to catch seems a little tricky, but I think I'm still getting used to it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado

I wouldn’t want to go any farther forward than the line on mine; I know they’re only 105 underfoot, but they aren’t very floaty. Low profile tip can get pretty bogged down in boot-top snow if it’s not steep. They’re not exactly quick and snappy in general, but I don’t see a forward mount improving that ski much. FWIW, running a 192 with a 327 bsl. I prefer a pretty traditional mount on most skis.

You're not going fast enough, point them down the fall line...

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    That was really the deal with those skis. Trust gravity and they come alive. Otherwise they sink.

^^^ Yup. Commit to the fall line and moar speed

hey gwat, i think you should post a video of your skiing, maybe the Enemy Lines one so you can show these guys what the fall line is
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    hey gwat, i think you should post a video of your skiing, maybe the Enemy Lines one so you can show these guys what the fall line is
    I show people the fall line, I tomahawk right down the center of it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

get a real boot that fits?
    its nothing a couple pair of thick wool socks doesn't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    I wouldn’t want to go any farther forward than the line on mine...I don’t see a forward mount improving that ski much. FWIW, running a 192 with a 327 bsl. I prefer a pretty traditional mount on most skis.
    Thanks. Somehow the 192s seem a bit more lively for me. (I forget if I mounted my 192s on the line and they are currently 1200km away...).
    Back when the OG LP came out a few guys insisted the flex of the 186 was all wrong and the 194 was the only way to go....I don't agree but maybe its the case with the 105.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    ^^^ Yup. Commit to the fall line and moar speed
    Sage advice, I'll go with this.

post a video of your skiing
    Quadrupile tomahawking down a green run is a feat only a few can pull off....
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

I'm only guessing from what I know of him, but i doubt gwat is skiing slowly.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I'm only guessing from what I know of him, but i doubt gwat is skiing slowly.

Likewise, it was sarcasm

Likewise, it was sarcasm
    Right on right on.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

MFree 108 192 review.
    Me: 50yo, 5’10” 215lbs, fuck you covid and busted achilles. Normally 190.
    My strength is getting better but not quite where I was or want to be.

Mounted on the line.
    So far I have 2 days on them in a wide array of conditions.
    It took me about three turns to figure out their preferred stance and how to engage the edge. After that it was auto pilot carve machines and boy can they carve.
    Detune: I as always detune anything that isn’t side cut. All the taper section in the tips and tails got a detune with a gummy.
    Firm with ice patches:
    Tip them over, stand on them with some boot cuff pressure and they rail like they shouldn’t be able to. I was really impressed. Really fun making any carve shape you wanted. They hook up with confidence and don’t do anything weird.
    Soft chop on groomers: They don’t Care, set an edge and stand on them and just mob.
    Firm chop on groomers: same deal, just ignore the slight tip flap as they calm down about 6-8” into the ski and go quiet under foot, totally planted.
    6-8” of soft-ish chop: slight tip plow, super planted underfoot. Not a crusher like the LP105 but that’s ok, not what this ski is to be.
    Pow: Hot damn they are fun and float above their waist width. Super surfy and zero hooking. Tips come right up and game on! Super easy to pivot in tight places as well.
    Wind effected packed pow: So easy to ski, zero hooking or even a slight hint at it. Make any turn shape you want. Very effortless here as well.
    This ski is a really really good ski. Not many skis get that response from me. The more I’m on it the better it seems to become. It’s so damn easy to ski yet can flat haul ass without any issues. It has a very playful side as well as a charger side. I would absolutely categorize this ski as a playful charger. Guys who know me know I like to ski fast and this ski does it without hesitation yet will pop and play or pivot effortlessly through tight spots.
    Well done Dynastar, I have been wanting a ski like this for a while now.

2FUNKY, you were a fan of the x106 right? How does this compare?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I have both too- but I sized down from the x106 in the 188 to the 182 mfree. If I skied somewhere wide open or carried more than 150lbs I'd go 192, they "feel short" but so am I.

Mfree feels a little softer in the flex under foot, and much looser in the tail for me, pivots amazing without the tail trying to lock radius. Carves fine in soft snow and very capable on "western groomers", wants to turns a little more than the x106 despite similar radius- could be the downsizing though. Less tip flop than the 106? Better float? Sort of subjective but I think so. Dead effing easy to ski and better looking than the x106.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Loving the MFree discussion. Finally getting out on mine this week. With all the new snow we've gotten at Alpental I expect I'll spend more time on my BGs, but I'll make sure to add my two cents on the MFree once I have some time on them.

Mofro, did you mount yours on the line? Got a pair of 182cm and want a reference point since everyone else is on the long sticks

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    Mofro, did you mount yours on the line? Got a pair of 182cm and want a reference point since everyone else is on the long sticks

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I just got a pair of 182, mounted them at -2, they ski real nice so far. You're tall.

I just got a pair of 182, mounted them at -2, they ski real nice so far. You're tall.
    I am taller, but at 160lbs, I’m pretty close to Mofro weight and not close to you strong big guys. Bought them to be a short, touring ski for Europe. Getting Cast as soon as the cast boys ship them to me.

You're used to trad mounts, I still maintain -2 for you. Maybe -1 if you're not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I am still a fan if the X106 and they are still in my quiver as they have cast with skins.
    The X, we will call it, has a more traditional mount point and therefore asks for a more traditional stance where the Mfree likes a more progressive stance. I personally jive with both.
    Mfree108:
    Tip: 8
    Shovel: 8.5-9
    Underfoot: 10
    Behind boot:10-9
    Tail: 8.5
    X106:
    Tip: 8
    Shovel: 8.5
    Underfoot:10
    Behind boot: 9.5
    Tail:9
    Thats my take on stiffness comparison so far.
    The tail of the X feels stiffer as its not as rockered.
    Mfree pivots easier where the X wants to be carved a touch more.
    The X has a slight tendency to want to lead into a turn in a crust or wind effect snow. I really can’t call it a hook as it’s not crazy just noticeable. The Mfree is slightly more damp, it is heavier.
    They are both really good skis, just slightly different in a good way. I am still not 100% confident in my achilles so I am not opening it up 100%. That time will come so for now that review will have to do until I feel confident and strong enough to really push the Mfree the way I know I can in which I am super excited about. I have a feeling they will keep surprising me in their ability.
    Mofro said and I agree, they are so effing easy to ski it’s not funny. But don’t be fooled, they can charge too.

Cue the Springsteen 'Glory Days'

Stared at these things all last winter while I was healing up my busted arm. Scored them off eBay in pretty much brand new condition with one set of holes. Been skiing them now a few days. Plan was for these to take the '69 camaro spot in the quiver, not what you want necessarily everyday but fun to drop the hammer every once in a while. Never skied the Reg LP back in the day only a few runs on the XXL, had some 8800s for a few seasons as a low snow ski that I really liked. Been fun to get back to the 'old school feel' Straight down the fall line, identify mogul or snow pile to f up, slam skis into target, launch off tail, continue downhill in slightly different direction.

Name:	PXL_20210103_183250038.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	356363

Name:	PXL_20210104_203236779.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	879.5 KB 
ID:	356364
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect