Page 81 of 149 FirstFirst ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 3712
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Yo— today’s MPro 105 has wood sidewalls. Is that the core? Is that a poplar core wall-to-wall with no actual sidewalls?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No, its a phenolic resin/teak sidewall, not a "through core" like the OG 4FRNT Renegade.

Gonna be interesting to see the durability of that sidewall

The Dynastar Thread

The sidewalls have been that way since the ski was introduced as the LP 105. Have there been many reported failures? My pro riders show no damage or wear to the wood sidewalls.
    Last edited by jackattack; 10-02-2021 at 09:40 AM.

Isn't that the same sidewall which was introduced on the OG LP105 back in 2011/12?

Jackattack beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    The sidewalls have been that way since the ski was introduced as the LP 105. Have there been many reported failures? My pro riders show no damage or wear to the wood sidewalks.
    Don't know man. Not a d-star man(repaired way too many in a previous lifetime)so really not up to par on that. That's good to know though

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Gonna be interesting to see the durability of that sidewall
    My OG LP105 (same ski, different top sheet) has 200+ days and still going strong.

The Dynastar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AEvospace View Post
    Is the general consensus that the Mfree 108 is more soft snow orientated, of firm snow orientated?
    Describe “firm”. If it’s truly firm, that means icy to me, I’m on my Monster 82’s. Now if its soft as to be able to get an edge in, few days after a storm cycle, I’m most def on the free108. Especially if hunting for soft patches in the trees. I’ve had mine on some very firm icy snow and was able to engage the edge and carve but wished I was on the monsters as they make those conditions ‘fun’. Esp since they are so freakin damp.
    The free108 has a shape that does allow it to punch well above it’s waist width in pow tho.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 09-25-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    My OG LP105 (same ski, different top sheet) has 200+ days and still going strong.
    That's good to know.
    I have a pair of 1st year im103's that used an alternate sidewall. The results were disappointing, at least if you happened to purchase a pair

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Describe “firm”. If it’s truly firm, that means icy to me, I’m on my Monster 82’s. Now if its soft as to be able to get an edge in, few days after a storm cycle, I’m most def on the free108. Especially if hunting for soft patches in the trees. I’ve had mine on some very firm icy snow and was able to engage the edge and carve but wished I was on the monsters as they make those conditions ‘fun’. Esp since they are so freakin damp.
    The free108 has a shape that does allow it to punch well above it’s waist width in pow tho.
    I was wondering after all this talk on other threads, about 108 being the new 118

I mean the stuff in between packed pow and super firm. I have menace 98s and LPs for super firm.

Tahoe can get kind of icey, but it’s not ridiculous most of the time and it rarely lasts long. We have some warm days and then colder nights that get windy, so we get that frozen ocean/coral reef type stuff somewhat often.

I don’t expect the mfrees to get wild on top of coral reef, not many skis can do that, but otherwise they seem good for what I’m talking about. After re-reading a lot on here and elsewhere the past day, some people do say it’s more soft snow orientated, but then others (here, skiessentials, skisdotcom) say it’s very versatile, including on firm. I feel like I’ll find it versatile, I like skis like this.

I should have purchased already, I’ve had numerous chances, but I keep getting whacked with my other debt. I’m going to grab some as soon as I finish paying for my school stuff. A pair of 192s is calling my name, they are next on the list.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0472.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	390.2 KB 
ID:	386574

Stoke!! You won’t be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    No, its a phenolic resin/teak sidewall, not a "through core" like the OG 4FRNT Renegade.
    Cheers. ALA OG Ren is exactly why I was asking. You seem to have picked up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    I'm in the market for a cheap all-mountain ski for Salt Lake City and am between the 2018 Legend X106 and the 2020 Elan Ripstick 106 (used options available that I've found). Both are same length. Wonder if you all have any thoughts.

I mostly ski backcountry, so a big resort setup is not really my primary interest. I also have a pair of Kastle MX84s and love them for groomer days.

I'm trying to add a second ski for days when there is fresh snow and I am in the resort. My worry with getting the Legend X106 is that it will be too stiff for me. I think I'm a decent skier and not afraid to put weight into the planks when turning, but I'm only 5'7" 155 lbs and don't ski super fast. I enjoy the feel of making a lot of turns more than I enjoy the rush from nuking down the slope. On an open slope, I'm more directional than shmeary, but I struggle to ski well, directionally, in tight trees if that makes sense. My worry with the Ripstick is that it will be too light and I'll get knocked around in the chop.

I previously skied a QST 106 and thought they were too slow to initiate a turn. I thought they were built for someone who wanted to ski way faster than me and make larger radius turns.

Any advice on what to get?
    182 mfree 108 is what you seek

Etaf your 2 picks, go x106. You're gonna be fine

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    I'm in the market for a cheap all-mountain ski for Salt Lake City and am between the 2018 Legend X106 and the 2020 Elan Ripstick 106 (used options available that I've found). Both are same length. Wonder if you all have any thoughts.

I mostly ski backcountry, so a big resort setup is not really my primary interest. I also have a pair of Kastle MX84s and love them for groomer days.

I'm trying to add a second ski for days when there is fresh snow and I am in the resort. My worry with getting the Legend X106 is that it will be too stiff for me. I think I'm a decent skier and not afraid to put weight into the planks when turning, but I'm only 5'7" 155 lbs and don't ski super fast. I enjoy the feel of making a lot of turns more than I enjoy the rush from nuking down the slope. On an open slope, I'm more directional than shmeary, but I struggle to ski well, directionally, in tight trees if that makes sense. My worry with the Ripstick is that it will be too light and I'll get knocked around in the chop.

I previously skied a QST 106 and thought they were too slow to initiate a turn. I thought they were built for someone who wanted to ski way faster than me and make larger radius turns.

Any advice on what to get?
    I honestly think you're looking in a good place for the Ripstick 106.

The m-free 108 could fit the bill as well, but it does have a good amount of camber in it. At your height and weight I don't know if I'd want to bend that ski through the trees; it can certainly do it with the shape and turn radius it has, but knowing that the mf108 needs a little more oomph to bend the camber out, I would lean a little more towards something like the Ripstick - not because the m-free can't do it, but because you may have more fun on the Ripstick. The mf108 is probably more fun in chop than the Ripstick though.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    I honestly think you're looking in a good place for the Ripstick 106.

The m-free 108 could fit the bill as well, but it does have a good amount of camber in it. At your height and weight I don't know if I'd want to bend that ski through the trees; it can certainly do it with the shape and turn radius it has, but knowing that the mf108 needs a little more oomph to bend the camber out, I would lean a little more towards something like the Ripstick - not because the m-free can't do it, but because you may have more fun on the Ripstick. The mf108 is probably more fun in chop than the Ripstick though.

I'm 160lbs and the mfree is just fine and dandy in trees, dood.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I'm 160lbs and the mfree is just fine and dandy in trees, dood.
    Fair. Just going off my experience at 6'1 on the 192. No idea how the 182 scales.

Thanks!

MFree 108s will be a definite purchase this fall. Debating the right length, but I will make up my mind eventually.

I plan to buy two pairs of skis this year. What are the thoughts on the Mpro 90? The 99 looks intriguing too, but I already have a pair of Bonafides as daily drivers. Or should I move on from the bones and buy the MPro 99?
    "Let's be careful out there."

The Dynastar Thread

So I had bought a pair of 2021 Rustler 9s for $539 in June. Didn’t mount them.

Was in a different shop this week and decided I wanted the new 2022 M-Free 99.

No change to the R9s so was allowed to “trade in” my R9s at $699 (full retail) and get the M-Free 99’s for $749 (full retail). We’re talking CDN $.

So got the new 2022 M-Free 99s for $539 - $699 + $749 = $589 CDN.

Mounting with black STH 16s.

Stoked.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 09-30-2021 at 12:06 AM.

Think I’d pass on the cheap Legend 106X(too stiff) and Rip Sticks(too light for variable conditions).

The 182cm MFree 108 is far more surfy, playful and forgiving than the 192cm version. I couldn’t believe the difference between when I demoed them both at 175lbs. The 182cm MFree 108 has to be the most fun bump/tree ski out there near it’s width.

The 179cm Enforcer 104 would be another excellent candidate for a “substantial but still fun in tight spots” type of ski. Hasn’t changed since it came out, so used deals out there on it too.

Quote Originally Posted by leftfield View Post
    Also found these fruit-boot looking things on the same thrifty store trip, i had to look them up. Arno Adam model, from before i knew what skiing was.

Attachment 386233
    Holy faaack! What a score. Ya I need those.
    Whenever you need to rehome those you know who to call...
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    MFree 108s will be a definite purchase this fall. Debating the right length, but I will make up my mind eventually.

I plan to buy two pairs of skis this year. What are the thoughts on the Mpro 90? The 99 looks intriguing too, but I already have a pair of Bonafides as daily drivers. Or should I move on from the bones and buy the MPro 99?
    Grab some 4x4 963 or 763 for the glazy firm days.

I have a pair of new 192 M-Free 108s sitting in the closet and am struggling with whether to mount on the line or go a bit forward. I have a race background and generally ski by driving the tips, so I am leaning toward mounting on the line, but I also want the ski to be fun in the trees on storm days.

Would I regret mounting on the line?

I briefly tried the 182s at the end of last season and thought they felt great on the line. I wouldn’t have wanted to go forward on those.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I have a pair of new 192 M-Free 108s sitting in the closet and am struggling with whether to mount on the line or go a bit forward. I have a race background and generally ski by driving the tips, so I am leaning toward mounting on the line, but I also want the ski to be fun in the trees on storm days.

Would I regret mounting on the line?

I briefly tried the 182s at the end of last season and thought they felt great on the line. I wouldn’t have wanted to go forward on those.
    I think you are going to get answers all over the place on this one. My 192’s are perfect on the line, especially for PNW trees. After my 2014 186 Billy Goats, these are my next favorite tree ski.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

On Ze line. Zero issues with pivoting in tight trees, effortless really yet I can get in the cuff of the boot and rip around. This ski does like to be skied more centered, less tip pressure than say the LP 105.