Page 45 of 149 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 3712

The Dynastar Thread

I’m giving mine a few days “as is” before I change anything (they are currently at +3cm forward from the rec line. I’m blaming Blister for that now).

Also, I think the bases are fine (ie not edge high or center high). But I may take them in for for a base grind. And move back 1cm. But later....

Today was Day 2 on my Protos. Conditions were awesome. Soft everywhere. Snowing all day. Lots of fresh tracks. Skied them in pow mostly on Harmony. No groomers, except the road back from Sun Bowl, which was super soft conditions and pretty deep. So pivoty and fun in the pow. After today I was pretty glad I own these. If anyone is interested there is no tip dive at +3cm.

I think I’ll likely end up back another 1cm to around +2cm from recommended, or further when all is said and done. Will decide after a few more days on them.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-23-2020 at 12:30 AM.

First day on the Menace 98, 187cm:

I've owned the slicer previously in a 181 - I bought it because I couldn't find any 187s. The 187 is definitely the right size, and possibly has a more burly construction. Pretty firm conditions, some sheets of ice on windblown areas. For a ski that has minimal camber, this ski carves like a champ; if you get the ski over far enough the tip and tail engage very well and are confidence inspiring when carving. What few moguls there were were very manageable. Lower angles on the skis make it very maneuverable/pivoty and the skis flex well through moguls in the tip and tail. Underfoot the ski is still very stable, and in more choppy conditions the tip and tail will kind of flop around, but undenderfoot the ski is plenty stable. Last thing I would add is that I think this ski performs better with a good amount of speed.

I realize that this ski has been around for a while and this short review is probably old hat. However, I think this ski is a testament to the latest and greatest trends not necessarily being the best. From my experience on other skis in a similar category as the Menace 98, this ski still beats them out of the park. Don't fix what isn't broken.

That being said, the replacement for this ski next season will have a lot to live up to.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    First day on the Menace 98, 187cm:

I've owned the slicer previously in a 181 - I bought it because I couldn't find any 187s. The 187 is definitely the right size, and possibly has a more burly construction. Pretty firm conditions, some sheets of ice on windblown areas. For a ski that has minimal camber, this ski carves like a champ; if you get the ski over far enough the tip and tail engage very well and are confidence inspiring when carving. What few moguls there were were very manageable. Lower angles on the skis make it very maneuverable/pivoty and the skis flex well through moguls in the tip and tail. Underfoot the ski is still very stable, and in more choppy conditions the tip and tail will kind of flop around, but undenderfoot the ski is plenty stable. Last thing I would add is that I think this ski performs better with a good amount of speed.

I realize that this ski has been around for a while and this short review is probably old hat. However, I think this ski is a testament to the latest and greatest trends not necessarily being the best. From my experience on other skis in a similar category as the Menace 98, this ski still beats them out of the park. Don't fix what isn't broken.

That being said, the replacement for this ski next season will have a lot to live up to.

Wouldn't have any time on the Rustler 9 or Woodsman 96 for a comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Unfortunately no, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    Unfortunately no, sorry.

Ok. Thanks

[ATTACH]354462

Just because

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1608761119.900844.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	354462  
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Question Pro Rider 184s

Just picked up a pair of the OG 100mm pro riders as an east-coast rock ski. What can I be expecting?

OG is 97mm underfoot

100mm is slightly softer than the OG and somewhere between the LP105 and OG in terms of stability. You could do a lot worse for an east coast rock ski. I use 186 OG's as my early season ride at a ski area that averages 100" per year.

Owned the Rustler 9 in 180cm, Menace 98 in 181cm and 187cm and been on the Woodsman models.

The Rustler 9 and Woodsman are more soft snow biased with their larger tip/tail splay and increased taper vs the Menace 98 that has long flat rocker and almost no taper, so a very long effective edge with the best hard snow grip.

As was mentioned in the review, the long turning radius of the Menace 98 makes it super stable at higher speeds but not the most fun trying to carve at lower speeds. The Rustler 9 the most fun at lower-med speeds with the Woodsman having a higher top end vs the R9 and better suspension with it’s heavier weight.

The Rustler and Woodsman pass more easily over crud and are easier to pivot off piste in variable terrain with their larger splayed and more smoothly sloped tips/tails. The blunt slopped tip/tails of the Menace 98 bulldoze crud at speed and are harder to pivot in variable off piste conditions.

Love the edge grip, high speed stability and dampening of the Menace 98 but loved it less in crud/off piste because of those blunt tips/tails and higher swing weight. For mostly firm groomers, M98 all day but the more you ski off piste and in heavy crud, the more I’d lean to the other 2.

I’m hoping the new version(MFree 98?) just swaps to a similar tip/tail design of the wider MFree models but with less taper to keep its great edge grip. Would transform an already good ski.

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    Owned the Rustler 9 in 180cm, Menace 98 in 181cm and 187cm and been on the Woodsman models.

The Rustler 9 and Woodsman are more soft snow biased with their larger tip/tail splay and increased taper vs the Menace 98 that has long flat rocker and almost no taper, so a very long effective edge with the best hard snow grip.

As was mentioned in the review, the long turning radius of the Menace 98 makes it super stable at higher speeds but not the most fun trying to carve at lower speeds. The Rustler 9 the most fun at lower-med speeds with the Woodsman having a higher top end vs the R9 and better suspension with it’s heavier weight.

The Rustler and Woodsman pass more easily over crud and are easier to pivot off piste in variable terrain with their larger splayed and more smoothly sloped tips/tails. The blunt slopped tip/tails of the Menace 98 bulldoze crud at speed and are harder to pivot in variable off piste conditions.

Love the edge grip, high speed stability and dampening of the Menace 98 but loved it less in crud/off piste because of those blunt tips/tails and higher swing weight. For mostly firm groomers, M98 all day but the more you ski off piste and in heavy crud, the more I’d lean to the other 2.

I’m hoping the new version(MFree 98?) just swaps to a similar tip/tail design of the wider MFree models but with less taper to keep its great edge grip. Would transform an already good ski.
    Thanks. Quality comparison, which confirmed my suspicion. Rustler or Woodsman it is

Thanks. Quality comparison, which confirmed my suspicion. Rustler or Woodsman it is
    Another new ski to consider in this range is the 2021 Candide 2.0 I got to replace the Menace 98 spot in the Quiver. Heavy and well damped like the M98 but with more modern tip shape and more versatile(20m in 183cm) turn radius.

Only had them on groomers but have been impressed so far. Much heavier, more damp and stable than the previous CT 2.0 version but still more playful than a flat tailed, directional charger would be.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    OG is 97mm underfoot

100mm is slightly softer than the OG and somewhere between the LP105 and OG in terms of stability. You could do a lot worse for an east coast rock ski. I use 186 OG's as my early season ride at a ski area that averages 100" per year.
    OG OG LP was 92mm.
    Last edited by waxman; 12-24-2020 at 03:02 PM.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Another new ski to consider in this range is the 2021 Candide 2.0 I got to replace the Menace 98 spot in the Quiver. Heavy and well damped like the M98 but with more modern tip shape and more versatile(20m in 183cm) turn radius.

Only had them on groomers but have been impressed so far. Much heavier, more damp and stable than the previous CT 2.0 version but still more playful than a flat tailed, directional charger would be.
    Thanks. Will check them out

PSA-Corbetts has all the 2021 Dynastars at 20% off retail this weekend plus the added benefit of the Canadian exchange rate.

PSA-Corbetts has all the 2021 Dynastars at 20% off retail this weekend plus the added benefit of the Canadian exchange rate.
    Aren't you s'posed to put *'eh?* on the end?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

It's too late for me anyway...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201224_225451.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	354851

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

The Dynastar Thread

Ok, riddle me this Dynastar folks.
    I answered a Marketplace add for a “Dynastar Pro Powder Ski-188”. A quick look at the pics showed a pair of surf-board topsheet LPs.
    So I went and picked them up and threw them in the truck without giving them a second glance.
    When I got home I started looking at them and this is where it got a little strange.
    There is nothing marked on them other than Legend Pro Rider.
    No length marked.
    No boot midsole or toe.
    No serial numbers.
    The only thing it says is “Made In France” underneath the tail protectors.
    They measure 95mm underfoot and 192cm long with a straight-toe pull.
    They have rubber in the tips and tails.
    They’ve been mounted 1.5x for Marker Comp bindings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1679.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	506.7 KB 
ID:	355807

Name:	IMG_1680.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	471.5 KB 
ID:	355808

Name:	IMG_1681.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	652.6 KB 
ID:	355809

Last edited by Caucasian Asian; 12-31-2020 at 10:46 PM.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Do they have the metal tip protectors? First gen race room didn't. Second gen race room surf board came with the metal tip protectors if I recall. Sounds like you got a race room ski. They didn't have mount marks. Ski tech at shop measured. MBC most likely. They got an award for selling more pro riders in North America than any other store back in 2006/7
    Second gen race room came in 192....though not many made. Mostly 186.
    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

They have the metal tip and tail protectors. This sounds like it could have been part of that batch.

-Death

Kaz is my co-pilot

Name:  IMG_1678.JPG
Views: 651
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:	IMG_1677.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	355795

-Death

Kaz is my co-pilot

Just checking in to say, I am continually impressed by the mfree118. Pretty much been my daily pick as a ski since it started getting soft here.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado

Name:	FCF86DCC-FF45-4831-A9C9-11AEE5F5065F.jpeg 
Views:	133 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	355810

That there’s your midsole mark. Should be one on the other side, some of them aren’t real visible.

Serial number should be stamped on the left side of the tail, could be near impossible to read, but I can't remember if those old race room sticks got one there or not.

Travesty putting those garbage markers on em. Good thing you put them in a good home.

That's a unicorn right there.. Enjoy or send them my way..

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Just a heads up new Menace F Team 189 on CL in Edwards CO for $350...Not mine.

https://rockies.craigslist.org/spo/d...244086566.html

IMO...the race room LPs both the original 90mm 194 to the 97mm 186 were the best freeride skis ever made. If they made them today I’d replace my retired 86 and 94 without even thinking about it.