Page 42 of 149 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 3712
    Some quick measurements and pictures because I'm bored and avoiding homework:

Straight pull tip-to-tail: 189.25cm
    True center: 94.5ish cm from tail.
    Recommended : 86.25ish cm from tail.
    Cambered portion of ski: 117cm

Halfway point after dividing the cambered portion of the ski puts it at the +2 mark, or barely in front of it.

Halfway point after dividing the widest points of the ski puts it at about 1cm behind true center.

Attached you can see the marks on recommended, camber contacts, and widest parabolic shape. Certainly does highlight a little different ski than the m-free 118. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201119_210606.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	348844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201119_210634.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	348845Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201119_210651.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	348846Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201119_210849.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	348847
    Last edited by DarthMarkus; 11-19-2020 at 10:50 PM.

186 MPRO99

Day 1 quick thoughts.

Me:
    30s
    180lbs
    RX130 boots
    Pivot 15s

Conditions:
    Man Made Groomerz (quickly thrashed)
    1-6" of high density snow on soft to firm rain crust.
    Thin/early season conditions so didn't really ski on anything over 25° degrees.

The good stuff:
    Reminds me of the old legend 94/or maybe even the 2nd gen Legend Pro (97mm) with a modern rocker tip.
    Snappy/powerful feel.
    Damp and smooths things out. Does not get bucked around like the Legend x96.
    Flex pattern makes sense for the ski, unlike the x96.
    Love love love the 22m radius. Not a mindless tip on edge and follow the sidecut type ski, rather wants to be shaped in to a turn, but it will track and hold in the radius you set it to. Similar to a Pro Rider, but easier and less demanding. Not a wimpy noodle, but not an ass kicker either.
    Much float, really great off piste ski.

The meh:

The tips are a little vague. I think that part of this is the mount point and the balance. I will note I have been skiing a lot more forwardish mounted skis like the mfree108 and Billygoat, and I think I've come to like a little more balanced mount position than I used to. Blister said they even went +4.

My gut told me to mount forward of the line, I ignored my gut. The mount point for me was a bit too far backwards. I am already considering going +2 of the rec. line. I think the factory line is -12 from center... pretty far back. Not that I ever struggled, but I felt like with the larger rocker tip, float/tip dive is zero issue and moving the mount forward would allow easier access to the tip of the ski on hard snow.

I could see maybe going a 178 if I was going to use this mostly for groomers, otherwise I think the 186 is a good size for me. But I suggest going +1 to +2 on these guys.

Mfree108 vs. Mpro99... jury is still out. The tip float is similar, the midbody/tail of the Mpro99 sinks a bit more due to the width. Mfree108 is more surfy/buoyant, especially in the mid-body. The Mpro99 slightly beats the Mfree108 on edge grip, but the Mfree is no slouch. The tail on the Mpro99 is much more locked in and less playful.

I'm having a real quandary about which one I'll grab in that DD slot... leaning Mfree108 as I am liking the more neutral/centered feel.

Thinking about moving my mount forward on an 182cm Legend x106, 285bsl hobbit foot.

Currently on the line, go +1 or +2?

WWMD

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    Some quick measurements and pictures because I'm bored and avoiding homework:

Straight pull tip-to-tail: 189.25cm
    True center: 94.5ish cm from tail.
    Recommended : 86.25ish cm from tail.
    Cambered portion of ski: 117cm
    Hm, interesting. Blister measured the old PR-OTO Factory at 186.6 straigt pull, so is the Menace Proto turned M-Free 118 longer? If so the 189 is def way too big for me - too bad.

Too bad they do not make a 184ish one for us of a bit more diminuative stature, but that live where lots of snow make the 180 a bit short.

Also, this thread is awesome. Keep up the good work with the reviews and info!

That’s the 192 m-free 108 not the 118, they are different skis for sure.

Really interested to start hearing some more feedback on the 108 m-free. They are very high up on my short list for next ski purchase.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

aaaaah, of course - brainfart, my bad.

The 108 182 sizing is sweet as can be for me or, a 184 wouldn't be amiss either.

The Dynastar Thread

I like more forward mounts (eg -5cm and -6cm). Don’t get the -10cm and -11cm recs.

I picked up last years Menace Proto’s for pretty cheap ($499cdn) and went +3cm mount to -6.1cm (from rec at -9.1cm) per Blister and my short bsl (289mm) I’m 5’7”, 165 lbs so went 180cm. These will be my inbounds whistler pow ski when the pow is gonna get chopped up and tracked out.

Haven’t skied the Protos yet. Hopefully will next week. But here they are with my other pow skis. They look about right to me.

My 180cm R11s are +1cm at -6.7cm.

The 184cm Chets (-2cm) and 183cm Candide 5.0s (-0.5cm) are both at -4.9cm.

Man I hope the lifts keep spinning and it’s not too crazy.Name:  thumbnail_IMG_8606.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  102.2 KB
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-22-2020 at 06:44 PM.

glad that you chimed in KC - I was planning to ask you for thoughts on how R11s and MPs compare, so can't wait for your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    glad that you chimed in KC - I was planning to ask you for thoughts on how R11s and MPs compare, so can't wait for your thoughts
    Ya I was gonna sell my R11s a few weeks back, as I was worried I have too many pow skis, and that the R11 overlaps with the MP. But just couldn’t do it. And too many pow skis is subjective anyways. The R11 does it all for me (inbounds, sidecountry, whatever?).

So I’ll wait. Excited to ski the MP at Whistler....I like how the MP has decent camber, but is still supposed to be “pivoty”. Cause you never get pow all day at Whistler. So camber is good. I think It’ll be a good inbounds ski with the pivots when I don’t want to ski the R11/Shifts.

Will report back after I ski them!

K

Quote Originally Posted by sk8rat6587 View Post
    Really interested to start hearing some more feedback on the 108 m-free. They are very high up on my short list for next ski purchase.

Same. My 192 MFree 108s showed up yesterday, but still going to be a bit before I can get them mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Ya I was gonna sell my R11s a few weeks back, as I was worried I have too many pow skis, and that the R11 overlaps with the MP. But just couldn’t do it. And too many pow skis is subjective anyways. The R11 does it all for me (inbounds, sidecountry, whatever?).

So I’ll wait. Excited to ski the MP at Whistler....I like how the MP has decent camber, but is still supposed to be “pivoty”. Cause you never get pow all day at Whistler. So camber is good. I think It’ll be a good inbounds ski with the pivots when I don’t want to ski the R11/Shifts.

Will report back after I ski them!

K
    I'm on the other end of that spectrum - I recently got the R11. I'll be comparing that to the Gunsmoke and the M-free 118/PROTO.

FWIW, you'll feel the camber on the PROTO. The ski also needs some time and skiing to break it in. My first day on them had me a little hesitant, but it felt a lot better after about 3 days.

Day 2 on the Mpro99.

Conditions: skied out scraped off groomers and refrozen soft snow from the day prior.

I like it. Definitely think I'd go +2 if I could do it over again.
    Really starting to click with the ski. I think it's the best 9xmm ski Dynastar had made in a long time. Once I got over the vagueness of the tip and started trusting them I found pretty impressive edge grip. Very powerful and damp feel on the choppy groomed snow for how responsive and snappy the ski is. Especially since it's pretty dang light compared to older Dynastars.

Started the morning out on the Mfree108. Definitely a little less edge grip but still a very damp platform and more playful for sure. The shape is still quite fun on groomers but less rebound in short turns, more loose and surfy.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Thinking about moving my mount forward on an 182cm Legend x106, 285bsl hobbit foot.

Currently on the line, go +1 or +2?

WWMD
    +1

It's both loose and powerful. Like a legend pro and a ON3P kartel had a baby. With some taper thrown in for good measure. It floats way better than a 108 underfoot ski should. You can push it hard or relax and let it do its thing. I'll probably grab the mpro99 when I know it's gonna be firm, but otherwise the mfree108 will be first pick.

I ordered a pair in the 182 length I intend to mount with Vipecs as my do it all touring rig.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Same. My 192 MFree 108s showed up yesterday, but still going to be a bit before I can get them mounted.
    Nice. You decide where you're going to mount them?

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Nice. You decide where you're going to mount them?
    I think I'm going to go +1 for them. I have some Attack 13 demos and have debated using those to try different mount points.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post

Started the morning out on the Mfree108. Definitely a little less edge grip but still a very damp platform and more playful for sure. The shape is still quite fun on groomers but less rebound in short turns, more loose and surfy.

It's both loose and powerful. Like a legend pro and a ON3P kartel had a baby. With some taper thrown in for good measure. It floats way better than a 108 underfoot ski should. You can push it hard or relax and let it do its thing. I'll probably grab the mpro99 when I know it's gonna be firm, but otherwise the mfree108 will be first pick.
    Really like the sound of that. I'm leaving Kartel 108 in search for something that's still playful, but a bit more directional.

Really like the sound of that. I'm leaving Kartel 108 in search for something that's still playful, but a bit more directional.

Yeah, you're gonna like them.

Like a legend pro and a ON3P kartel had a baby. With some taper thrown in for good measure. It floats way better than a 108 underfoot ski should.
    Ok so now you have my attention and cannot wait to get on mine, esp once I’m full strength/recovered. I have not skied the Kartel but have always wanted to and the shape and mount point look awesome on paper,Kartel that is.
    Fondling my 192 MFree 108’s make that comparison ring true.

From my perspective, the float characteristics of the m-free 108 might be a tad overstated. Is it better than the LP105? Absolutely it is. But the ON3P's float/plane noticeably better in my experience (woodsman/wren 108). The mfree maintains the stiff, powerful feel that Dynastar is known for and eats their lunch on the hardpack though, so the trade-off is worth it for my purposes with the ski.

The Dynastar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    From my perspective, the float characteristics of the m-free 108 might be a tad overstated. Is it better than the LP105? Absolutely it is. But the ON3P's float/plane noticeably better in my experience (woodsman/wren 108). The mfree maintains the stiff, powerful feel that Dynastar is known for and eats their lunch on the hardpack though, so the trade-off is worth it for my purposes with the ski.
    And this makes me even more STOKED!
    I have pow skis, this ski is a <8” new ski.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    For me it was down to Woodsman 108 or MFree, so this makes me happy to hear. I have BGs for when there's more than 6" of fresh.

For me it was down to Woodsman 108 or MFree, so this makes me happy to hear. I have BGs for when there's more than 6" of fresh.
    I think it's a perfect bookend with a Billygoat. The mount point is almost identical, the feel of the ski is similar (less float though, but very loose) and it's much better in mixed snow/firm snow.

I agree w/jackattack, I've probably overstated the float slightly, but it's definitely much better than most 108 underfoot skis I've been on, other than the Wren 108, but those skis have crazy big tip rocker that I felt made them a little weird in other spots, but YMMV.

And doesn't anything float better than an LP105?

I think it's a perfect bookend with a Billygoat. The mount point is almost identical, the feel of the ski is similar (less float though, but very loose) and it's much better in mixed snow/firm snow.

I agree w/jackattack, I've probably overstated the float slightly, but it's definitely much better than most 108 underfoot skis I've been on, other than the Wren 108, but those skis have crazy big tip rocker that I felt made them a little weird in other spots, but YMMV.

And doesn't anything float better than an LP105?
    Great discourse going on, it’s funny having skied my goats now twice this year as soon as I’m on piste I crave the M free 108; that thing makes groomers fucking fun! That is where the goat fails, yah, I get it.. it’s 116, and built for soft, recycled, 3D, breakable crust stuffs!!

And no LVS; I’m not buying new skis this year regardless of how amazeballs the MF108 is haha!!

Someone is gunna buy em and hate em, hell my bet is on 2F... heh!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Also down to the same 2 skis. Mostly for tree skiing in soft snow up to 6-8".

Wtf! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Wtf! Lol!
    Just jealous of that pair you have been fondling!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums