Page 116 of 149 FirstFirst ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 3712
    Quote Originally Posted by sander_h View Post
    Have you ever measured a K2 against other skis? .... We're in the golden age of board/ski riding design, enjoy it.
    What does K2s whataboutism have to do with anything? My baseline is ON3P who guess what, measure true to stated length (as you know).

That parts of the industry stay true to the archaic pre-press standard is beyond me, as is brands letting marketing people dictate the "measurements", not their engineers. I mean, how hard can it be - if the a ski comes out of the same mold and has the same exact length as a different ski (both pre and post press) why not label it as having the same length? It seems like common sense to me.

Since you mention Rossi, it would be interesting to debate the actual differences between the various 22/23 Senders in terms of geometry, not layup, with their engineers and marketing people. It sure seems like there is none when comparing the skis in person. So thank you marketing - adding value for sure! Because having people having to consider if sender ti 104 or sender ti plus 106 has the best width for makes a ton of sense when the only difference across two models is in the layup (and that difference makes for an actual huge difference in how they ski). Some times more info and more marketing speak does not make it easier to understand and/or make choices, it just makes it harder.

yeah, if find this practices kinda irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    The only thing I'm not sure makes sense to me is the wider ski having less rise in the rocker. If I'm skiing deeper snow with the wider ski I would think at least the same rise of the 108 would be appropriate.
    The rise is the same, it just stops sooner. If you want the same splay height in a shorter tail then you would need to change the rise significantly, something that would make the difference in the tails support (and thus also perceived looseness) even bigger.

^^^ yeah I wasn't clear... I meant the tip splay should match the 108.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    ^^^ yeah I wasn't clear... I meant the tip splay should match the 108.
    my bad. In general, I agree.

Then again it makes sense that the 118 has slightly less splay - making the cambered volume be more front and center in terms of dictating where the float is initiated. The shape mounted at rec is still gonna have more than ample float.

Honestly though, I can't remember there being that much difference outside what I thought of as production variance - I can totally understand how the different layup 118 could cure slightly differently than 108s. I will have to measure tomorrow.

Here's some $120 186 LPRs in Bend. Anyone look into them?

https://bend.craigslist.org/spo/d/be...543775731.html

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Sometimes this place is retarded. That’s my important contribution to this thread. Back to the Fall Classic…
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Sometimes this place is retarded. That’s my important contribution to this thread. Back to the Fall Classic…
    Great. Now you’re going to summon Sergeant Butthurt from the Moment thread to come here and scold you on the use of that word and for you to remove it from your vernacular.

Thanks for chiming in Sander. That was great reading. I enjoy your style of skiing, man! The Mfree108 really is a great ski and we absolutely live in some of the best times for ski design.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I can understand that it does sound confusing. Essentially, it's like the snowshoe effect of evenly distributing your weight over a larger area. Think of the downward force/skier weight to be more evenly distributed on the wider tail of the 118 with more of the tail touching the ground in comparison to the higher tail height and skinnier tail of the 108. The 108 tail will be more out of the snow and pinpoint the weight to the rear contact point of the ski. At least that's how I understand it, I could be wrong.
    Sorry, I don't buy that explanation at all.

All things being equal, I still think more tail splay and rocker makes for a looser ski on the back end

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Great. Now you’re going to summon Sergeant Butthurt from the Moment thread to come here and scold you on the use of that word and for you to remove it from your vernacular.
    this made me laugh.

I...
    btw, I do not quite know how we ended up with you feeling like you have to defend marketing people from my general rant, but my bad - such was not my intent, so sorry about that.

You guys convinced me.

Demos because I like playing with mount points, and because I couldn't find a way to ski them on the line with bindings I want to use.

Currently set on the line and will probably try going forward a little for comparison but unlikely I'll go back.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I'm also jumping on the 189 Mfree 118 train with a pair I scored cheap on ebay.

Think I'm going to mount them about half a cm in front of the line (just so I can re-use heel holes, previous owner had shorter boots).

Pretty excited to get out on them, but of course since I bought my first pair of truly dedicated powder skis, there won't be any days to use them.

For what it is worth, I really like my MF99s at +1 (based on not fully jiving with 99s at rec and 108s at rec and +1.5 - 182s remounted to +1) and mf108 192/189 MF118 at +1.5 (108 192s at recommended felt slightly unbalanced for my tiny bsl, +1.5 is great)

+.5 is going to be fine - try it and re-mount if it feels off (wont though)

I poked around the large truckee ski swap and the large collection of used skis at one of the shops in town, I saw one mfree ski (mf99) at the shop, with dynafiddle bindings for ~$850. I was really hoping to find a pair of used mf108’s for a good price. Not sure I can afford my deal through work atm….

PSA... Not mine, but pretty good Front Range CO deal - https://boulder.craigslist.org/spo/d...553439675.html

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    PSA... Not mine, but pretty good Front Range CO deal - https://boulder.craigslist.org/spo/d...553439675.html
    That’s a score with the clamps.

^^^ pivots no less

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    These were for sale at the Start Haus consignment sale in Truckee around Labor Day. They've definitely been skied hard.

I ski kicking Horse and tested the M free 108 and the 2021 green qst 106 back to back on soft chop forming up to be moguls. The type of snow that you can still surf but the transition between tracked and pow can really catch you. I was testing to see which charged harder by 3 turning the chutes right off the gondola. Long turns, high speed.

I found the QSTs mellower rocker allowed it to plain up over the inconsistencies in the snow and gave a much more stable ride. The steep abrupt rocker of the MFree tended to get hung up and tried to plow the snow. Hands down prefer the QST for charging. The MFree carved better by a bit. I preferred the QST mounted at -1 on the 188. I skied it in a lot of pow and really enjoyed it there too.

I didn’t like the Orange/Red 1st gen Qst 106. I found the front of the ski soft and chattery and didn’t match the tail. I got a few laps on the 2023 QST 106 and wasn’t a fan. Too much taper, weird flex pattern and shorter radius. Maybe I could get used to it.

I also really enjoy Hojis, Pinnacle 118s, Corvus for tracked snow, v werks katana.
    Last edited by GoldenBC; 11-07-2022 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Missed word

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on QST 106 vs M-Free 108?
    Sorry, was supposed to be a reply to this.

For all you MF108 nerds--

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6367a9a84d2fd.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	433351

https://www.dynastar.com/news/m-free...imited-edition

I assume you're already aware of this. If not, THEN WHY ARE YOU NOT ON FWT'S EMAIL LIST?

Waiting for the Artist living in the Potato-land panhandle to score a pair and make us all jealous.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    For all you MF108 nerds--

Name:	6367a9a84d2fd.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	433351

https://www.dynastar.com/news/m-free...imited-edition

I assume you're already aware of this. If not, THEN WHY ARE YOU NOT ON FWT'S EMAIL LIST?
    Should have been the graphic from the beginning!
    "Not all who wander are lost"

What would you all pay for flat MF 108s used one season 182cm mounted once with pivots @305mm? Still in good shape. Probably 50 days on them.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Nothing. Because now there’s a stupid FWT limited edition out there.

I would personally pay ~200US for a 182 in that condition. But that price is hindered because I actually want a 192.

Which begs the question- how much is that FWT worth? And can mere mortals buy it? Is this one of those skis that are sold out before they’re even pressed?

I hope this is a typo, because if not I'll probably be buying more skis. But up on the Dynastar site there appears to be a mistake on the sizing for the M-Free 99. Says it's in a 189cm. I have low confidence that it's actually the case, but figured I'd ask the Dynastar knowledgebase if they know anything about it. If it actually came in a measured length of 185+, I'll probably get a pair.

Said picture: https://www.dynastar.com/product/mfree-99

Name:	DALP201___M-FREE_99_OPEN_rgb72dpi.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	433552