Page 9 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesbrother49 View Post
    Hey guys, just pulled the rip cord and got out of snowless Tahoe last weekend and headed to Jackson. Nailed perfect conditions for testing the two pair of Proto's demo's I had, deep, cold and fresh. They are very surfy, stable, and fun. They are still a lot of ski, compared to most rocker pow sticks I have tried. You need to charge on them to get the most out of them, just keep going faster. Got a bunch of patrollers on them, echoed the same feeling. Very similar to the Cham 117/Legend Factory as far as the tip shape float, and the tail is a whole new ballgame. You don't necessarily feel like your on a rocketed tail, and you definitely ski the shape more than the rocker profile. Very connected and damp, super smooth rolling edge to edge and you can slarve them with little effort. The main comment we kept saying was "just go as fast as possible". Stoked and fired up on them.
    You coming to BBI Montana??

No, but the Intermountain Rep will be.
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

No, but the Intermountain Rep will be.
    I thought I saw a pair or two of Protos in the tram line, but wasn't sure. Guess I should of asked if I could take them for a spin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I’ve skied them both.

Out of curiosity, where did you mount the 186? I would probably go +1cm. I felt like I couldn’t physically get far enough forward on them.

Somehow the 180 felt more planted, less likely to get deflected by chicken nuggets and baby heads — something we’ve had plenty of at mission this year — and just plain railed. The 186 had a similar feel IF I was able to get them up to speed and really get forward on them. I don’t think I could safely maintain those speeds 90% of the time, so that’s why I’d elect to stick with the 180.
    I mounted on the line and have enjoyed them there, but have heard +1 was good from a few people I've run into on the same skis.

They, along with some other skis, will be making their way to GS in the next few days however...time to reduce overlap and thin the herd.

Good news for Pro Rider hoarders, just saw a pair of Pro Riders with next years Dynastar graphic

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Good news for Pro Rider hoarders, just saw a pair of Pro Riders with next years Dynastar graphic
    I heard that Dynastar isn't planning on selling them in US. Which I think is really unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I heard that Dynastar isn't planning on selling them in US. Which I think is really unfortunate.
    I just saw a pair at Jackson Hole. Didn’t recognize the kid with them.

Shared a chair with these today at Fernie. I offered him $300 cash for them sans binder, but he wouldn't do it. Smart man. One day I will get my 184cm LP105. One day...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180224_121358492.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	225572

How heavy are the Protos?

Edit: PSA - Pro Riders at good price. Haven't checked shipping.

https://www.ski-discount34.com/p-324...lle-192cm.html

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    One day I will get my 184cm LP105.Click image for larger version. 

Funny. I have a pair I'm not currently skiing...

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Funny. I have a pair I'm not currently skiing...
    Maybe for you...

Maybe for you...
    What’s your BSL?

Got my first real day in soft, chopped up snow with the Legend Pros.

Holy fuck are these things missiles and absolutely destroy it. They're great. Took like 4 turns total down the Cirque. My lunch almost came up, but the skis crushed it.

Pretty easy to pivot too if you're forward.

Has anyone compared the Legend X106 against the X96?

I only have access to a 96 demo, which I'll likely take out on Wednesday.

.... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Shared a chair with these today at Fernie. I offered him $300 cash for them sans binder, but he wouldn't do it. Smart man. One day I will get my 184cm LP105. One day...Click image for larger version. 

Hide yer kids, hide yer wife...
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

I can't say enough good things about the Legend Pro's. Those things fucking kill it.

If the current Legend Factory and next years Proto are anything like the Legend Pro, I need a pair.

Hey guys, just pulled the rip cord and got out of snowless Tahoe last weekend and headed to Jackson. Nailed perfect conditions for testing the two pair of Proto's demo's I had, deep, cold and fresh. They are very surfy, stable, and fun. They are still a lot of ski, compared to most rocker pow sticks I have tried. You need to charge on them to get the most out of them, just keep going faster. Got a bunch of patrollers on them, echoed the same feeling. Very similar to the Cham 117/Legend Factory as far as the tip shape float, and the tail is a whole new ballgame. You don't necessarily feel like your on a rocketed tail, and you definitely ski the shape more than the rocker profile. Very connected and damp, super smooth rolling edge to edge and you can slarve them with little effort. The main comment we kept saying was "just go as fast as possible". Stoked and fired up on them.
    What you mean by saying you ski the shape more then the rocker profile?
    The ski is more locked into a turn?

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Has anyone compared the Legend X106 against the X96?

I only have access to a 96 demo, which I'll likely take out on Wednesday.

.... Thom
    buy the 96 long, you can go over the bars on the shorter lengths in deeper snow.
    106 skis more like a regular ski in length.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

amazed he can steer them with that POS boot, also if they are from where I think they are from based on binding choice they are probably stolen
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

So, I got out on a pair of 178 cm Legend X96's yesterday in crap, refrozen, low tide conditions - basically the sort of snow I slotted for this ski.

TLDR: This is a ski that loves to rail - as much as a 98 ON3P Wren, but with a bit less tip and tail release. Dynastar's racing heritage shows. Since the ski has an all mountain reputation, I would have expected it to be a bit more slarvy when called upon - like the Wren. This might have been the tune (see below), but I think the amount of camber is primarily responsible for this. If you like to rail on groomers then this ski should be on your short list, but that's not a description of me.

Me: 5'10" 165 Lbs., 67 years old, aggressive but smooth. I don't take air on purpose and don't do spinny/jibby stuff. Refrozen reef and bumps beat up my knees and I try to avoid them, but invariably, I let myself get suckered into them - for example Pali at A-basin and Flipper at Bridger Bowl (first timer there, last week). I'm trying to be kind to my body and ski until the planet gets even with us and stops dumping white stuff from the sky.

Ever the geek, I checked the tune the night before. It makes no sense to critique a poorly tuned ski (this ain't no Blister after all ). The bases were dead flat, and I used my SVST bevel guides to ensure my normal 1/1 bevel was laid on. They were close before I fixed 'em. I detuned to the tip and tail taper points - heavily rounding off the edges.

It's possible that I needed to go a bit past the taper points, but I suspect the difficulty in releasing the tips/tails mostly has to do with the camber. It's been a while since I've been on a ski with a healthy amount of camber (maybe 10mm on these skis?) and I think this contributes to that characteristic, as well of course to their ability to lock into a turn like they mean it.

I'm still in a mystery about the X106's (can't find a place that has 'em mounted up). Looking at the rocker photos on Blister, it appears as if the X106's also have a healthy amount of camber, so I don't have confidence that I'll be able to release the tips and tails the way I've grown to love.

I'm thinking that what I'm after may be my long ignored, Atomic Automatic 109's which are a bit softer than most skis in my quiver and won't beat the crap out of me when the conditions suck. I'll take them out next week for a reality check as the snow looks is if it will continue to suck here in the Front Range (with the possible exception of a light dump on Sunday).

I think what I'm telling myself is that when the conditions are like this, it's time to slap on the skins and get away from the area, 'coz I hate groomers even more than I hate torturing myself on refrozen bumps.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

The Legend X-series are carvy when called upon, not slarvy. That said they are easier going than the original LP and the 5-point sidecut and rocker profile makes them easier and more intuitive to ski, but it's true they don't release the tails like heavily rockered designs. I like a nice supportive tail, but I too have thought of lightly detuning the tail contact point on my x106 for ease in skiing tight bumps.

I got out on my very own 180 x88's today. They straight rail groomers, initiate turns very smoothly and have tons of pop. The x106 tail is loose in comparison. I haven't studied the x96 rocker profile too closely, but I know it has metal, so it may be more similar to the x88 than the x106 in that regard.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow, and get some other maggot opinions, but to my eye the x106 has less camber than the metal skis. Also, I think your stated 10mm is very high (possibly base to base?).

I was eyeing some legend 96 and 106 side by side and I swear the 96 had a touch more tip rocker than the 106.

Probably operator error as they might have been different length skis but it sure seemed to be true.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    The Legend X-series are carvy when called upon, not slarvy. That said they are easier going than the original LP and the 5-point sidecut and rocker profile makes them easier and more intuitive to ski, but it's true they don't release the tails like heavily rockered designs. I like a nice supportive tail, but I too have thought of lightly detuning the tail contact point on my x106 for ease in skiing tight bumps.

I got out on my very own 180 x88's today. They straight rail groomers, initiate turns very smoothly and have tons of pop. The x106 tail is loose in comparison. I haven't studied the x96 rocker profile too closely, but I know it has metal, so it may be more similar to the x88 than the x106 in that regard.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow, and get some other maggot opinions, but to my eye the x106 has less camber than the metal skis. Also, I think your stated 10mm is very high (possibly base to base?).
    Indeed! I forgot to mention how well they straight rail groomers, and pop is a good word as far as how they initiate. Yes, my 10mm was a base to base number (not for each ski).

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-02-2018 at 02:36 PM.
    Galibier Design

If anyone spots a decent pair of 190 LP 105s, let me know. I've been looking for a while.