Page 125 of 149 FirstFirst ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 3712
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I saw that, too. Though I’m curious about the 182. Supposedly a lesser ski. But I’m 155 and on tele, meaning less leverage/power compared to fixed heel. Have 184 bibby and 192 lotus138 and have no regrets about length of either ski. Hmmmm
    I have 192 wildcats that are fun and some deathwishes in 184. I think the deathwishes ski pretty short especially with a progressive mount.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I saw that, too. Though I’m curious about the 182. Supposedly a lesser ski. But I’m 155 and on tele, meaning less leverage/power compared to fixed heel. Have 184 bibby and 192 lotus138 and have no regrets about length of either ski. Hmmmm
    184 Bibbys and 182 MFree 182s should be more or less the same length, probably within a couple of mm.

I would imagine 182 MFree 108s being am absolute riot for tele -> loose as a goose yet with enough weight to make them stable and enough sidecut to make them engaging.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8398.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	640.4 KB 
ID:	445715

Maybe formerly Leavenworth can provide input?

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8398.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	640.4 KB 
ID:	445715

Maybe formerly Leavenworth can provide input?
    I don’t know what other input you’re looking to get. I spoke with the rep yesterday he confirmed that the ski exists. He didn’t have the 108 at the demo, just the 99s, but he said it’s a sweet ski. You buy now.

Given the popularity of Free 108 here in PNW I had to see what the fuss is all about. I bought some 182cm with look demo bindings from white pine in the off season. I've skied them three times and just having a hard time with this ski. I can't decide if it's mounting position or some issue with needing the tips detuned or something. One week after loving my 184 Corvus I was humbled on the free . felt like I didn't have control of the ski, catching inside edges and skiing like it was much longer than it's length? I tried moving the demo bindings around to different mounting positions but never found a spot I liked. have any feedback before I sell them? seemed like a ski that would be right in my wheel house, love the bibby pro, enforcers and Corvus for instance.

It is worth a tune and wax before selling. Check for flat with a true-bar. Maybe they are railed?

Base angle of 1 and edge of 2. Gummy the edges front and rear on all the rockered portions.

Ski them on the line.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    Given the popularity of Free 108 here in PNW I had to see what the fuss is all about. I bought some 182cm with look demo bindings from white pine in the off season. I've skied them three times and just having a hard time with this ski. I can't decide if it's mounting position or some issue with needing the tips detuned or something. One week after loving my 184 Corvus I was humbled on the free . felt like I didn't have control of the ski, catching inside edges and skiing like it was much longer than it's length? I tried moving the demo bindings around to different mounting positions but never found a spot I liked. have any feedback before I sell them? seemed like a ski that would be right in my wheel house, love the bibby pro, enforcers and Corvus for instance.
    I’d detune hard to about 1” past contact points.

Check for edge high with something remotely flat like a metal ruler.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I’d detune hard to about 1” past contact points.

Check for edge high with something remotely flat like a metal ruler.
    This. Something is wonky with the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Agreed it sounds like a tune issue.

Speaking of tune issues, I now have some time on the 185 M-Free 99s. I have 192 M-Free 108s that anchor my quiver, and I have been on the hunt for a smaller ski to complement it.

First impressions of the 99s were not good. I took them out night skiing, and conditions were a small amount of snow over grippable west coast ice. The skis were grabby and weird. They’d lock into clean carves well but were super unpredictable when sliding the tops of the turns, like different parts of the ski would catch at different times. After going at them with a diamond stone to remove a suspected hanging burr, and detuning the tips and tails, they are much better.

I got some Menace 98s last year that also came with a grabby tune from the factory, and a retune improved them immensely.

Now that the tune issue is mostly resolved, I am impressed with the M-Free 99s so far. They just kind of do everything. I like that they come alive at low speeds but can be pushed relatively hard, and they carve quite nicely.

Compared to the 108s, they don’t feel quite as loose, which is a good thing. The 108s feel more smeary whereas the 99s feel like they want to engage on edge more (could still be some residual tune problems). For what I wanted them for (no new snow, smaller terrain, dust on crust), the 185 length feels spot-on. They’re not the bulldozer that the 192 M-Free 108 is, and that’s a good thing when you want to dial back the speed. But they still have some backbone and push back.

Fyi - thx for the feedback -

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    You will sell the X106 if you pick up the mfree108. I did.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I did this too
    Well, after saying I hadn't skied the MFree, I will be this Wednesday. Supposed to get between 12 and 22 inches at Schweitzer with this incoming storm. A friend who has the exact same boots as me, same size, isn't skiing and offered his 108s for me to try. So, trial runs coming...report to follow. If it goes as it did for you guys, my wife may want to kill me....

I didn't sell my x106's. But I haven't skied them once since in the last 3 yrs I've had the mfree. Actually...

anyone wanna buy a lightly used 188cm X106?
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Well, after saying I hadn't skied the MFree, I will be this Wednesday. Supposed to get between 12 and 22 inches at Schweitzer with this incoming storm. A friend who has the exact same boots as me, same size, isn't skiing and offered his 108s for me to try. So, trial runs coming...report to follow. If it goes as it did for you guys, my wife may want to kill me....
    Excellent! What length?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I didn't sell my x106's. But I haven't skied them once since in the last 3 yrs I've had the mfree. Actually...

anyone wanna buy a lightly used 188cm X106?
    Heh..

Excellent! What length?

182. I'm a little concerned that they might be a little short.

Dynastar brand preview:

There’s a new M in town.

With another year and another M-Free and M-Pro, Dynastar brings back some of our favorites, while adding another new ski to their line up. Dynastar skis for 2024 continues to serve up a clean line that’s delivered high performance for years.
    The new M-Cross gets a splash of marble from the popular, freeride oriented M-Frees. What’s New

Dynastar introduces the new M-Cross line as an all-mountain carver. The M-Cross fits a sweet spot between their 4×4 Speed carvers and the all-mountain leaning M-Pros. In the M-Cross, you’ll find less rocker than the M-Pros but more than the 4x4s. The idea is to give you better edge grip if you’re spending more time lapping the trails, without being as demanding as a traditional race oriented ski. There’s a healthy amount of sidecut and taper, and the skis are about 25% lighter.
    Instead of their traditional hybrid PU/Poplar core found in the M-Pros and M-Frees, the M-Cross uses their new Hybrid Core 2.0. Dynastar uses additional wood stringers and strips in different orientations to stiffen the ski up and add torsional rigidity. This replaces some of the fiberglass and titanal needed, making a lighter ski, that’s greener too. All that adds up to a quick turning ski, that’s light on the feet, and confidence inspiring on edge.
    Shop our selection of Dynastar gear here

The new M-Cross series includes an 88, 82, and 78. There is an additional titanal insert in the 88 for extra stability. The ladies’ line, E-Cross, shares the same construction with just a slightly thinner core.
    Other Highlights

We get a new M-Tour 108, expanding the M-Tours from the M-Tour 99 and M-Tour 90.
    The directional all-mountain and freeride M-Pros come back unghanged this year.
    The M-Free series returns unchanged, with the same glossy marble art work.
    Another big perk across Dynastar’s lineup? Fully colored bases on all M-Pros, M-Tours, and M-Frees. It’s a little thing, sure, but certainly makes us feel cooler. Look good, ski good, right?

182. I'm a little concerned that they might be a little short.
    They should be fine, unless you’re bigger and charge.

They should be fine, unless you’re bigger and charge.

Nah, not that big. 5-11, 175. As for charging, I'm old so not ripping like the past. My friend's about the same size so, yeah, I should be good to go.

Nah, not that big. 5-11, 175. As for charging, I'm old so not ripping like the past. My friend's about the same size so, yeah, I should be good to go.
    Yeah, you will be fine. Interested to hear your take on them.

Yeah, you will be fine. Interested to hear your take on them.

LOL...Yeah, me too.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    We get a new M-Tour 108, expanding the M-Tours from the M-Tour 99 and M-Tour 90.
    The directional all-mountain and freeride M-Pros come back unchanged this year.
    the dynastar website includes new additions to the M-Pro line (MP108) but nothing on the M-Tour 108... think I'm too merican to appreciate the sophisticated French marketing strategy on display.

Mfree108 is growing on me. Its still maintains the same cons (skis light but is actually heavy, tapered tips feel weird, not very damp, but also not poppy), but they are really bailing me out of a lot of situations and i find myself skiing really, really well on them. All sorts of turn shapes from high angle carves, to slarvy slithering are on-tap at a moments notice, they ski super duper in the 8" and under "powday" range, they are way stompier than expected (i expected to go over the bars way easier) and they overall allow (make?) me a better skier. Its like i have this idea that they kinda suck in a certain situation and then i accidentally find myself in that situation fully committed and they perform flawlessly. Its weird. Very weird.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Mfree108 is growing on me. Its still maintains the same cons (skis light but is actually heavy, tapered tips feel weird, not very damp, but also not poppy), but they are really bailing me out of a lot of situations and i find myself skiing really, really well on them. All sorts of turn shapes from high angle carves, to slarvy slithering are on-tap at a moments notice, they ski super duper in the 8" and under "powday" range, they are way stompier than expected (i expected to go over the bars way easier) and they overall allow (make?) me a better skier. Its like i have this idea that they kinda suck in a certain situation and then i accidentally find myself in that situation fully committed and they perform flawlessly. Its weird. Very weird.
    I think you’ve done a pretty good job of describing what makes the MFree108 so good. I originally benchmarked it against my Katana 108 and felt like it was kinda “meh”. Then I started to ski it the way it wants to be skied in those softer, deeper conditions and I really started to appreciate them.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Got my MFree 108s back after having the bases repaired. They were tuned as well. Unfortunately I forgot to detune the tips and tails. Man, they sucked tonight. Felt like a beginner as they were super hooky and would throw into a turn. Everything I love about the skis was gone. Gonna work them over tonight. I forgot how much it sucks with skis that are jacked.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Got my MFree 108s back after having the bases repaired. They were tuned as well. Unfortunately I forgot to detune the tips and tails. Man, they sucked tonight. Felt like a beginner as they were super hooky and would throw into a turn. Everything I love about the skis was gone. Gonna work them over tonight. I forgot how much it sucks with skis that are jacked.
    Frick! I always have a red gummy stone in my pocket for such the occasion or if I jack an edge and need to clean it up.

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    think I'm too merican to appreciate the sophisticated French marketing strategy on display.
    Yes, MPro108 is a 22/23 ski, the M-Tour 108 is a 23/24 ski.

you post admittedly had me howling with laughter as the French are prone to do stupid shit in the name of marketing, but then I remembered the model years in question.

Californiagrown - for sure, good description of le MF108.