Page 10 of 149 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    If anyone spots a decent pair of 190 LP 105s, let me know. I've been looking for a while.
    This shop in Shasta had a brand new pair of the Legend Pro (aka the old LP105) in a 190cm a couple of months ago. Might be worth a call to see if they still have them, probably have everything on sale at this point:

http://thefifthseason.com
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

Anyone have any time on the Legend Factory?

May see if I can snag some on sale this summer if the review is positive.

I just skied on my X88's for the first time this weekend. Also got a chance to ride the X106 for a few runs on Friday and just ordered up a pair last night. First, the 88's were really a great ride. They rail the edge nicely, smooth transitions, and rocketed through manky mashed potatoes without bucking. I also was skiing them in about a foot of mostly untracked and they worked just fine in the pow. On Friday, we had received 1" of new according to the report. Of course, that's at the lodge elevation and doesn't account for what's been blown in on some aspects.

Then onto the X106, With about 8" near the top on lee sides of the ridges, this ski felt good, stable, pretty quick turning but it wasn't until the afternoon when we received 6" in three hours that I really got to play with them in some trees and deeper snow. In some areas that were holding just less than knee-deep, what impressed me was how easy they were to release into the next turn. The pin tails really let me get them around fast. They floated well and were also nice and stable in the run-outs to the lifts. I really liked this, especially in comparison to my older Super 7's. These ski much more like a regular ski than the Super 7s and I could get down into the snow instead of floating. With that, they still were really easy to ski. So, I ordered them up and have, after 15 years, moved away from Rossi to Dynastar. Same company so no complaints from the reps. I just liked the 88's better than my Rossi Experience 88's and the 106 was hands down better for me than my old Supers. Really glad I'm making this change.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 03-05-2018 at 10:31 PM.

A PSA on all the legends for stupid cheap and free ship at Corbetts. i think they only have a pair or two left and only in sizes listed.

My CAD to US conversions:

X106 $372 182 and 188
    Legend Factory $399 190
    x96 $348 186

www.corbetts.com

click on the product to get the price. The overview page with all products does not show the fully discounted price.

Geez, just seeing now. Click on any '18 product and it's about 40% off. Almost all pivots gone. Still some Attack 13's with 95 brakes left for about $110USD.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Anyone have any time on the Legend Factory?

May see if I can snag some on sale this summer if the review is positive.
    I would hold out for the Richard Permin Proto... finally got out on a pair and it's 100% old school Dynastar chargey-ness but in a modern shape. Really liked them.

Let us know more! Stoked to hear you finally got on them.
    How do they compre to your bg’s?

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I would hold out for the Richard Permin Proto... finally got out on a pair and it's 100% old school Dynastar chargey-ness but in a modern shape. Really liked them.
    How different is it from the Legend Factory? I'm not a big jib guy (like Permin is), the Legend Pro speaks to me more than other skis

How different is it from the Legend Factory? I'm not a big jib guy (like Permin is), the Legend Pro speaks to me more than other skis
    Of all the dynastar s I've skied this lp 105 is still one is the softer imo. I skied the one they released 6 years ago or so and my understanding is that it is the same as current. I'm really curious to see this new proto as well as try an x106.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28516187_10215730381522218_6586988754197843028_o.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	227143

Random Dynastar Proto thoughts:
    (not sure if any of this will be useful for anyone, just kinda what I thought about them but I wouldn't say one day is a conclusive review by any means.)

Hand flexing:

Length: 189 side by side with Climber Joe's 186 Billygoats was near identical. Take it or leave it, this isn't a 193.

Shape: GPO or Lhasa ish tip taper. Widest point ~20cm back. Tail is wider than the GPO/BG/Lhasa though. It is still somewhat of a pintail but not crazy pin like Lhasa or Chams. Very tapered shape overall. (will try to post some profile pics soon.)

Tip Rocker: More splay and depth than the Lhasa pow. Less splay than the Billygoat, about the same length. (again, will try to post some profile pics soon.)

Tail Rocker: It's very similar to the Wren 108 or SuperGoat. Flatter with less splay than the Billygoat. Something to note, unlike every other Dynastar in the past 10 years with "tail rocker" this ski actually has tail rocker. (again, will try to post some profile pics soon.)

Flex: Medium stiffness in tips and tails, medium++ underfoot. Nothing crazy. Overall feels stiffer than my 191 BG. Not as stiff as old school LP or Big Dumps. Balanced comes to mind.

Weight: They feel heavy, in a good way. They aren't as heavy as the Big Dump or XXL but are not a ski I'd want to throw a tech binding on.

Construction: as usual Dynastar did a good job putting these together. Couldn't find any defects in the base, sideways, etc. Very solid feeling ski.

Mount point: Not full traditional but more tip than the 186 BG.

On snow:

Me: 5' 10", 200lbs. Ski fast with decent dental technique. I spend most of my time skiing: 191 BG, 192 LP105 and 188 x106.

1 day at Big Sky - classic dust on crust. Firm, grippy, chalky snow with 6-8" of super light pow with moguls underneath.

Originally when I saw this ski on paper I thought, BG equivalent in a Dynastar layup.

It's not. This ski is essentially the same feel as some of the earlier Legend Pros but in a soft snow shape. The shape is fairly loose (took them in some trees that I would have hated life on the LP105) but also can hook up on a groomer. 24 - 25m sidecut felt about right. It can be skied very hard but won't totally eat your lunch if you ski more centered. That said, like most Dynastars it wants to be pointed down the fall line. In soft/untracked snow the radius is unnoticeable and the ski performs like a BG - Get the tips pointed down hill, and ski the shape (not the sidecut) when off-piste and you'll have a good time.

The overall flex of this ski (subjectively) feels stiffer than the LP105 and stiffer than the 191 BG on snow. The tail is easy to release but feels very stiff. Which I liked a lot, the ski really felt like you could charge on it. Layup is classic Dynastar, somehow both very solid/damp but also playful/energetic.

It floats but not crazy float like the BG. Never felt tip dive in the deeper spots but also never felt the "boat effect" (where the ski just naturally is instantly planing to the surface.) That said, it also meant that it felt like the ski was never plowing or slowing down.

Essentially I'd say this ski could be described as being like: a Wren 118 if there was such a thing. A damp Lhasa Fat with a more friendly/looser tail. Or a Dynastar Big Dump but with a Playful Charger shape.

I do wish that a longer 193 - 195 length was available, not because I ever wanted for more tip but more because I think it would be a rad ski for a place like Big Sky. For my little home hill I think the 189 will be plenty.

All in all I really liked the ski - if you were a fan of the Legends back in the day but lost interest when the Cham's came out, this ski should be on your radar.

Did you ski the Legend Factory? Any comparison to that?

Did you ski the Legend Factory? Any comparison to that?
    I don't care much for the Factory by comparison. I mounted mine on the line and had some challenges with the mount point considering that the tail is flat and the tip isn't very rockered. Need to remount at -2 and try them again. But overall, the Proto feels way more burly and yet is far easier to ski due to the increased rocker and the more refined shape. Personally if the Factory is of interest, I'd hold out to snag a pair of the Protos instead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28516187_10215730381522218_6586988754197843028_o.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	227143

Random Dynastar Proto thoughts:
    (not sure if any of this will be useful for anyone, just kinda what I thought about them but I wouldn't say one day is a conclusive review by any means.)

Hand flexing:

Length: 189 side by side with Climber Joe's 186 Billygoats was near identical. Take it or leave it, this isn't a 193.

Shape: GPO or Lhasa ish tip taper. Widest point ~20cm back. Tail is wider than the GPO/BG/Lhasa though. It is still somewhat of a pintail but not crazy pin like Lhasa or Chams. Very tapered shape overall. (will try to post some profile pics soon.)

Tip Rocker: More splay and depth than the Lhasa pow. Less splay than the Billygoat, about the same length. (again, will try to post some profile pics soon.)

Tail Rocker: It's very similar to the Wren 108 or SuperGoat. Flatter with less splay than the Billygoat. Something to note, unlike every other Dynastar in the past 10 years with "tail rocker" this ski actually has tail rocker. (again, will try to post some profile pics soon.)

Flex: Medium stiffness in tips and tails, medium++ underfoot. Nothing crazy. Overall feels stiffer than my 191 BG. Not as stiff as old school LP or Big Dumps. Balanced comes to mind.

Weight: They feel heavy, in a good way. They aren't as heavy as the Big Dump or XXL but are not a ski I'd want to throw a tech binding on.

Construction: as usual Dynastar did a good job putting these together. Couldn't find any defects in the base, sideways, etc. Very solid feeling ski.

Mount point: Not full traditional but more tip than the 186 BG.

On snow:

Me: 5' 10", 200lbs. Ski fast with decent dental technique. I spend most of my time skiing: 191 BG, 192 LP105 and 188 x106.

1 day at Big Sky - classic dust on crust. Firm, grippy, chalky snow with 6-8" of super light pow with moguls underneath.

Originally when I saw this ski on paper I thought, BG equivalent in a Dynastar layup.

It's not. This ski is essentially the same feel as some of the earlier Legend Pros but in a soft snow shape. The shape is fairly loose (took them in some trees that I would have hated life on the LP105) but also can hook up on a groomer. 24 - 25m sidecut felt about right. It can be skied very hard but won't totally eat your lunch if you ski more centered. That said, like most Dynastars it wants to be pointed down the fall line. In soft/untracked snow the radius is unnoticeable and the ski performs like a BG - Get the tips pointed down hill, and ski the shape (not the sidecut) when off-piste and you'll have a good time.

The overall flex of this ski (subjectively) feels stiffer than the LP105 and stiffer than the 191 BG on snow. The tail is easy to release but feels very stiff. Which I liked a lot, the ski really felt like you could charge on it. Layup is classic Dynastar, somehow both very solid/damp but also playful/energetic.

It floats but not crazy float like the BG. Never felt tip dive in the deeper spots but also never felt the "boat effect" (where the ski just naturally is instantly planing to the surface.) That said, it also meant that it felt like the ski was never plowing or slowing down.

Essentially I'd say this ski could be described as being like: a Wren 118 if there was such a thing. A damp Lhasa Fat with a more friendly/looser tail. Or a Dynastar Big Dump but with a Playful Charger shape.

I do wish that a longer 193 - 195 length was available, not because I ever wanted for more tip but more because I think it would be a rad ski for a place like Big Sky. For my little home hill I think the 189 will be plenty.

All in all I really liked the ski - if you were a fan of the Legends back in the day but lost interest when the Cham's came out, this ski should be on your radar.
    Sounds like they should build a 108 version - for me :-)

I don't care much for the Factory by comparison. I mounted mine on the line and had some challenges with the mount point considering that the tail is flat and the tip isn't very rockered. Need to remount at -2 and try them again. But overall, the Proto feels way more burly and yet is far easier to ski due to the increased rocker and the more refined shape. Personally if the Factory is of interest, I'd hold out to snag a pair of the Protos instead.
    Interesting, I figured by design the Legend Factory would be more burly.

Too bad the Proto 189 size is more like a 186.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Sounds like they should build a 108 version - for me :-)
    I think a 105 - 108 width version of this ski would be great.

Interesting, I figured by design the Legend Factory would be more burly.

Too bad the Proto 189 size is more like a 186.
    The shape would be more burly but the layup is a bit more lightweight.

It's more that ON3P run long than the Dynastars are short...

The proto replaces the Facotry, which should be mounted at 2cm back from recommend. When they went from Cham 117 to Factory they moved the mount point forward and it now has a tendency to dive. Everyone I know who uses it well skis it at -2cm.

Pretty much everyone else’s 189 looks like an ON3P 186. That’s just standard for most brands. My 192 Blizzards are the same size as my 189 Billy Goats.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The proto replaces the Facotry, which should be mounted at 2cm back from recommend. When they went from Cham 117 to Factory they moved the mount point forward and it now has a tendency to dive. Everyone I know who uses it well skis it at -2cm.
    I plan on remounting mine there and hoping that I they ski better. Not sure why Dynastar chose to move the mount on a ski that is obviously very traditionally shaped. It looked too far forward but I couldn't get confirmation from anyone that mounting it back was the way to go, and went ahead and mounted them on the line. Big mistake.

Pretty much everyone else’s 189 looks like an ON3P 186. That’s just standard for most brands. My 192 Blizzards are the same size as my 189 Billy Goats.
    Yep. Just trying to give everyone a frame of reference for length. Like I said, skiing them I never wanted for more length.

So what fat ski is the most like the Pro Rider?

I've got the BG (189, year before the Asym), but I really tend to ski my skis like they're my FIS race skis (balls to the wall, shins pressing the front of my boots, driving the tips, etc.) and I haven't really "clicked" with them. May try to give them more of a chance, but just looking to see what else is there.

The Dynastar Thread

LVS, what are the dims. of the Proto? It sounds like an awesome ski.

I've got the BG (189, year before the Asym), but I really tend to ski my skis like they're my FIS race skis (balls to the wall, shins pressing the front of my boots, driving the tips, etc.) and I haven't really "clicked" with them. May try to give them more of a chance, but just looking to see what else is there.
    Could always find some Dynastar big dunps

I was going to say big dump or 117

Anyone got a comparison between the two?

Imagine it's easier to find some 117s than Big Dumps given the 117s are newer

Anyone got a comparison between the two?

Imagine it's easier to find some 117s than Big Dumps given the 117s are newer
    I've skied both. The 117 is a bit lighter and turns easier. The big dumps have a higher speed limit than the 117 as well. They are a fun ski. If you want a pair i know someone who was trying to unload some.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    I've skied both. The 117 is a bit lighter and turns easier. The big dumps have a higher speed limit than the 117 as well. They are a fun ski. If you want a pair i know someone who was trying to unload some.

Hm.

I'll have to offload the BG's first before I can buy a new one. Can't imagine i'll have a hard time that being said.

The Big Dumps are interesting but 120 is a lot of ski underfoot and living out east, I can't imagine i'll need them too often.

Problems.

Edit:

Ill be interested to see what ski the FWT skiers use.

Proto? Legend Pro? Legend factory?
    Last edited by nyskirat; 03-10-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Buy my 191 Wrens

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

not to totally derail the dynastar thread to #whyon3pistheshit, but;

or just wait for the 2019 wren114 that sounds kinda bang on wrt to what you (nyskirat) are looking for - or get betel's 191wrens if you want to hatebang the mountain (flatter tail no, so doesn't release quite as easily as the new wrens right?). I am kinda like you in that the BGs and i have not clicked 100% yet, so i am tempted to give the wren114s a go as well as i absolutely love the wren108s.