Kids Bindings - DIN Question

I scored a free pair of Rossignol kids skis for my 8 year old. He's in the racing program and skis pretty fast.

They have have the Rossi JR. binding that has a DIN range of 2-7. The chart says he should be at 1.75.

Is setting them at 2 too much of a risk?

let him ski and quit turning them up when they quit falling off
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So you're saying I'm overthinking this.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    dunno about everyone else, but this is literally how i adjust my dins still to this day.

Check the weight limit on the binding too - some have a minimum weight of 65 pounds. If he's on the lighter side he may have trouble clicking in without help. Also make sure it fits a junior toe, some of the "big kid" bindings are adult only.

Might want to remount with a 4 or 5 DIN binding which will give you more flexibility on both DIN and weight (save the 7s for later). If you use Rossi or Look you might even be able to re-use the same mount holes.

I once torque tested a kids binding set to 0.5 less than the minimum adjustment value and sent it out the door, under my Canadian boss's instructions.

Kids DIN settings are almost counter intuitive. Increase body weight and have a longer BSL and the setting goes down. Kids with their short BSL have no leverage to twist out so the only option is to lower the DIN. The chart for a 60 lb skier has a DIN of 2.25 for BSL <250. As the BSL goes up the DIN goes down with a BSL of 291 having a DIN of 1.50.

Our eight year old granddaughter races and skis all the terrain at Alta and we have her set at exactly what the chart says. She does not release when she should not have. Her weight went up this year but she has longer boots and the DIN went down .25. Personally I would not go higher unless you find they are coming out when they should not have. Even if this happens I would move up very cautiously.

^^^This is what we did w/ my daughter.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Thanks for the feedback.

Check the weight limit on the binding too - some have a minimum weight of 65 pounds.
    The weight limit seems to be 60 lbs for these bindings.

Might want to remount with a 4 or 5 DIN binding which will give you more flexibility on both DIN and weight (save the 7s for later). If you use Rossi or Look you might even be able to re-use the same mount holes.
    I have a set of 4 DIN Rossi bindings that I might consider mounting. They have a different mounting pattern (3 screws vs. 4) but I might be able to reuse two of the mounting holes. I'll look into it.

Personally I would not go higher unless you find they are coming out when they should not have. Even if this happens I would move up very cautiously.
    This. Totally. I am super gun-shy putting him in the wrong binding. Even trying to vertically lift the boot out of the heal piece takes way more force than I think it should. It seems to release well enough laterally but still takes a significant amount of force.

I'm tempted to sell these and buy him a used pair of Volkl's for $120 that has a system on it. These RSX's seem to be pretty burly too. Not sure the stiff ski and short radius will work for him.

I just measured him. He's 60 lbs.

I guess we're good here? Subjectively they still feel to strong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I just measured him. He's 60 lbs.

I guess we're good here? Subjectively they still feel to strong.
    Kid is 8, 60lbs, and in ski racing. The only way 1.75 is accurate for him is if he still a true beginner/never skied before (level 1). Level 2/3/3+ would range 2.25-3.5 for size, weight, and BSL.

http://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skii...alculator.html
    Move upside and let the man go through...

That logic makes a lot of sense.

This is something I'd *strongly* advise against.
    See:
    https://vermontskisafety.com/research/faq-for-skiersriders/
    And click the plus next to "If my bindings are releasing inadvertently, how much should I crank them up?"

TLDR; Just because your bindings are releasing, does NOT mean that turning up the DIN will fix the problem. It's quite possible you'll continue to release when you *don't* want them to, and *won't* release when you should and will cause injury.

And as noted above; for two BSL's - with all the other factors the same [weight/skill/etc] the smaller boot will have a HIGHER DIN. So, as the boots get bigger [as they out-grow a smaller boot] it's certainly possible for the DIN's will go down, even as they become better skiers, with more weight etc.

Where can I find said chart?

There are various charts and calculators available on the web - here's one: http://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skii...alculator.html

Also they're in the technical manuals from the binding manufacturers, here's an older one for Look/Rossi: http://store.ornellosport.com/Manual...iRossi1011.pdf

I get 1.75 for a 60 pound 8 year old type 2 with 271-290 BSL. Note that being under 10 (or over 50) affects the setting independent of other factors - so an 8 year old type 2 is given the same DIN setting as a 10 year old (same weight and BSL) type 1. You can decide whether or not you think this is reasonable.

His BSL is 249, which gives me 2.25.

I generally don't subscribe to skier types for young kids.

If you want him to be Pro, you should just set the DIN to 7.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Teaches them about ACL recovery at a young age.