A couple of videos to discuss

I saw the first one earlier today. Seems like they knew somewhat the mistakes they made (party-riding a line like that, wearing pole straps), no mention of airing into it, which seems to me like it is yet even more likely to trigger the slide. The whole thing seems sort of crazy to me, but I wasn't there, so I'll just take away a "descend one at a time" reminder and be glad for the buried guy that his friends got him. I didn't get the "prank" thing at the end, but I am guessing that's a translation thing. Anyone speak enough French to convey what was intended there?

It feels like the intended moral of both videos is to practice with your beacons, which seems like a good reminder this time of year.

^^^ Yep, I posted to FB the need to actually think about shoveling strategy.

Most people can get really good with their beacons and then totally flub digging something/one up. Lots of time can get lost.

We practice that a lot in training and it seems so easy until you try it.

After a session or two you have that Doh! moment and wonder why no one ever thought of it before.

ugh those videos always make me sick to my stomach
    yea the digging part is way underrated by most and good to practice since most people focus on the beacon search
    I explain it to people as being the hardest you've ever worked in your life
    skid luxury

I had a nice compact shovel that fit perfectly in my pack... but ditched it mid season last year for a longer / slightly larger one that doesn't fit as well but also has a hoe mode. Pretty sure my friends I ski with in the backcountry appreciate the sentiment. You can move SO MUCH MORE snow in a hurry that way.

I knew they were French in the first video before I heard the voices. Nutters.

i haven't had to dig for somebody's life but i've always imagined that it would be a horrible battle between everything in your system redlining and having to pace yourself to some degree if you're alone. i would imagine a lot of people exhaust themselves early in a dig because of adrenaline and borderline panic.

i don't mean to be insensitive to anybody here but it has occurred to me more than a few times in my contemplations of bc splitboarding. burial vids freak me out.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    I saw the first one earlier today. Seems like they knew somewhat the mistakes they made (party-riding a line like that, wearing pole straps), no mention of airing into it, which seems to me like it is yet even more likely to trigger the slide. The whole thing seems sort of crazy to me, but I wasn't there, so I'll just take away a "descend one at a time" reminder and be glad for the buried guy that his friends got him. I didn't get the "prank" thing at the end, but I am guessing that's a translation thing. Anyone speak enough French to convey what was intended there?

It feels like the intended moral of both videos is to practice with your beacons, which seems like a good reminder this time of year.
    The prank thing confused french people too...
    Something I found interesting in the video is to witness how he stays on top thanks to the airbag (that he fumble with, because he ski with his pole straps) only to gets buried 1 meter deep by a second "wave" of snow. Airbags are useless once you've stopped.
    He also mentions how he feels totally euphoric, while on the verge of hypoxia.

Heuristic trap, anyway : Skier is M. Bimboes, FWT athlete, in his home resort of Courchevel, with friends. One can see how they're all fired up, within sight of the lifts, in an area they're very familiar with.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Airbags are useless once you've stopped.
    I think a lot of people miss that facet completely and think of them as some sort a life preserver that floats you to the top even if you are not moving.

Some more if you have the stomach.

I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post

I don't speak French but I think everyone was trying to make a big joke about the whole thing being a prank and he was actually buried in fake snow. And then the "SUBSCRIBE EVERYONE!!!!". Self-promoting bros even in the brink of death: classy.

The 3 skiers- 1 slope mistake is only something you'd do for filming, I don't know if there is much to learn there unless you often follow your friends with a gopro. Another minor thing was the second guy shoulda tried to get on that spine at any cost, but it looks like the third guy tried too and failed, it was probably nearly impossible to hop on it and dig in, but that's where you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    Something I found interesting in the video is to witness how he stays on top thanks to the airbag (that he fumble with, because he ski with his pole straps) only to gets buried 1 meter deep by a second "wave" of snow. Airbags are useless once you've stopped.
    Also useless if you are low on the path and it comes down on you while ascending.

Here is where an Avalung can make a difference... or maybe an electric airbag like BD/Arcteryx that autodeflates potentially making a larger airspace.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Also useless if you are low on the path and it comes down on you while ascending.

Here is where an Avalung can make a difference... or maybe an electric airbag like BD/Arcteryx that autodeflates potentially making a larger airspace.
    I don't know if I would say useless. The airbag could still be the one thing that ends up sticking out of the snow, and it's a bigger target for probing. But mostly useless