looking for recommendations - OTC knee braces/sleeves

What are you mags skiing with? Just wondering if I'm overlooking any products out there.

I don't normally use anything on the hill, but have been thinking I should maybe start. Primarily concerned with my patella. Really just looking for a bit of support and confidence. Have had numerous subluxations when I was younger (partially dislocated patella, but never on the mountain) and have also been diagnosed with patellofemoral pain syndrome (fancy words for knee pain). Just looking for some support.

You bring up an interesting question. College football linemen wear knee braces prophylactically, by rule. Since skiers have a lot of knee injuries and since a lot of people with knee problems seem to ski well with braces, why shouldn't all skiers wear braces to prevent knee injuries? Can't help with your particular concern re subluxing patella and pf pain syndrome.

Been thinking about this lately. I have a loose MCL from years of sprains and I'd like to stabilize the knee enough to skin sidehill without hating myself the next day.

What's the difference between OTC and Rx braces? Are there any out there that actually work? Seems like the major challenge in getting one to be supportive enough to work prophylactically would be fit. But still, if cost no object, are there any that really do work better?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been using these for several years now - very happy with them. Immediately eliminated my patellar pains in both knees, during gym workouts and while skiing.

Bauerfeind and DeRoyal both make nice braces. I have found Bauerfeind to work the best and really like this one:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 3.02.41 PM.png
Views: 212
Size:  142.6 KB

knee brace options

I'm now wearing one of the high-end braces that old goat refers to in his post. This was a result of a repaired ACL and meniscus. (I just posted up some info on this over in the 2017 ACL thread). Here is the one that I ended up with: https://www.ossur.com/injury-solutio...ces/cti-custom
    These are pricey (a few hundred dollars or more). Mine was custom made, and so it was around $1000. In my case, insurance covered the brace and I would say that before investing in one/two of these it would be advisable to consult with someone like an orthopedic dr and/or a couple of PT's. I can say that in spite of misgivings about the brace, I was concerned about mobility and weight in the backcountry, my first time out with it worked well. I just strapped it on the outside of my back on the skin track and strapped on for the descents. It worked great and I felt great. I haven't used it yet in the resort, but I think I'll just strap it on when I head out and keep it on until I'm done each day, (or on longer breaks).
    This type of brace may not be for everyone, and compared to some of the others mentioned here, it is in an entirely different price range. If you are needing increased stability, then that is where this solution is appropriate and effective.