Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    It's pretty clear anything equitable is anathema to the current administration.

Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    You're conflating several different issues here but I'm just going to assume there's someone here that can explain it a lot better than I can.
    I realize it isn't directly related to the legal 2015 Net Neutrality ruling, but it IS kind of related in a more diffuse way.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You don't have a clue what net neutrality actually is do you?
    see above post, PNWTwit

You seemed to have been fucking insinuating that Google has any semblance of a social conscience.

I remember their corporate slogan used to be "Do no evil". *,Cough cough...puke puke*

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Well any fucking will be done by the ISPs if I understand correctly. And if Google opposes net-neutrality repeal, you would hope they would carry on with their ISP service like the repeal never happened. No?
    The big consumer-level ISPs are also media companies / content providers. Comcast, TWC, etc. will get started by throttling Netflix, YouTube, etc. unless you pay for cable. Beyond that, who knows? More creative uses of their newfound power only go downhill from there in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    The big consumer-level ISPs are also media companies / content providers. Comcast, TWC, etc. will get started by throttling Netflix, YouTube, etc. unless you pay for cable. Beyond that, who knows? More creative uses of their newfound power only go downhill from there in a hurry.
    Interesting that the Trump admin is making this move while at the same time sueing to stop the ATT/TW deal. Seems like if they had issues with the conflicts this kind of vertical control invites they would be moving the same direction on both. CNN making the difference?

Sent from my LG-M150 using TGR Forums mobile app
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

you dont have a clue in general you fucking poser

your contributions to the community amount to pig shit

eat a dick
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Name:  DPLRH_YXkAIjgse.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  51.2 KB
    Zone Controller

Interesting that the Trump admin is making this move while at the same time sueing to stop the ATT/TW deal. Seems like if they had issues with the conflicts this kind of vertical control invites they would be moving the same direction on both. CNN making the difference?

Yes. Its all about teh CNNz.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Could actually have an unintended consequence and be used to break up some of the oligopolies and local monopolies, when a different administration gets in.

exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    see above post, PNWTwit

You seemed to have been fucking insinuating that Google has any semblance of a social conscience.

I remember their corporate slogan used to be "Do no evil". *,Cough cough...puke puke*
    Remember that time you and your friends kidnapped the cow?

see above post
    So I was right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

see above post, PNWTwit

this is about net neutrality, that's it

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post

eat a dick
    I laughed. Stay in the zone dd.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I don't think people really realize what this means. I mean, most people have no fucking clue what it is, but the people who think they know think this has to do with Netflix or Amazon buffering. Yeah, it has to do with that. There is a clear conflict of interest here for a company like Comcast since they own a majority share of NBC/Universal.

The really big implication is that basically every single business uses some kind of web app. Email, online banking, online bookkeeping, online client trackers, medical/dental/law practice software, etc etc etc. A lot of this is done online. Even Big Box Stores' inventory tracking. This all now has the potential to become more expensive for the business. This could absolutely kill small business in America. You're already paying for internet connection, Quickbooks, maybe Office 365. Maybe hosted Exchange or G Suite (whatever the fuck they call it now. Gmail for your business with your own @domain). You're paying for some kind of inventory tracker, customer tracker, practice management. This could all now become more expensive or slow to a crawl. This would mean it would only be useful or cost effective if you were a large organization that could host all that shit yourself. With the Software as a Service model and some other reasons, it's very cost effective for small, medium, and even some large businesses to move their shit into "the cloud" and it sure seems like most of them have.

An end of Net Neutrality could kill that and all the business that depend on it.
    the end of net neutrality is a really bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post

eat a dick
    We all find it increasingly difficult to compete with your tales of ski vacation rope ducking, gray steaks, Korean automotive engineering, hand photos and the internet's best Mom alias.

I'd pay extra to have an ISP throttle you.

for anyone who missed it, here is a summary of the debate on net neutrality:

everyone in tech: "getting rid of net neutrality is a fucking terrible idea"
    everyone not in tech: "from everything i hear, getting rid of net neutrality sounds like a fucking terrible idea"
    comcast: "hurrr durrr we somehow still exist"
    fcc: "hold my beer"

So I was right.
    Fuck off, Twit. You're simply a consumerist, corporate shill.

We all find it increasingly difficult to compete with your tales of ski vacation rope ducking, gray steaks, Korean automotive engineering, hand photos and the internet's best Mom alias.

I'd pay extra to have an ISP throttle you.
    more accolades

unreal

go throttle yourself with a rope around yer neck
    Zone Controller

Fuck off, Twit. You're simply a consumerist, corporate shill.
    sent from my iphone

Is dd for real? I can never tell.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

He's a Flowing Alpy alias.

Here's a good article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/net-n...ok-fcc-2017-11

If you want to see what America would be like if it ditched net neutrality, just look at Portugal

The Federal Communications Commission is planning to ditch net neutrality, which requires internet providers to treat all data online equally.A Portuguese internet provider shows what the American internet could look like if net neutrality is scrapped.One company charges people more for additional data based on the kind of app they want to use, such as those for messaging or for video.

On Tuesday, the US Federal Communications Commission announced that it planned to voteon an order to roll back Obama-era rules governing net neutrality.

Simply put, net neutrality means that all data on the internet is treated equally. An internet service provider can't prioritize certain companies or types of data, charge users more to access certain websites and apps, or charge businesses for preferential access.

Advocates of net neutrality argue that it ensures a level playing field for everyone on the internet. Telecoms firms, however, are largely against it because of the additional restrictions it places on them.

But with the Republican-majority FCC likely to vote on December 14 in favor of rolling back the order, what might the American internet look like without net neutrality? Just look at Portugal.

The country's wireless carrier Meo offers a package that's very different from those available in the US. Users pay for traditional "data" - and on top of that, they pay for additional packages based on the kind of data and apps they want to use.

Really into messaging? Then pay €4.99 ($5.86 or £4.43) a month and get more data for apps like WhatsApp, Skype, and FaceTime. Prefer social networks like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Messenger, and so on? That'll be another €4.99 a month.

Video apps like Netflix and YouTube are available as another add-on, while music (Spotify, SoundCloud, Google Play Music, etc.) is another, as is email and cloud (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, iCloud, etc.).

Net-neutrality advocates argue that this kind of model is dangerous because it risks creating a two-tier system that harms competition - people will just use the big-name apps included in the bundles they pay for, while upstart challengers will be left out in the cold.

For example: If you love watching videos, and Netflix is included in the video bundle but Hulu isn't, you're likely to try to save money by using only Netflix, making it harder for its competitors.

And without net neutrality, big-name apps could theoretically even pay telecoms firms for preferential access, offering them money - and smaller companies just couldn't compete with that. (It's not clear whether any of the companies named above have paid for preferential access.) An ISP could even refuse to grant access to an app at all unless they paid up.

"In Portugal, with no net neutrality, internet providers are starting to split the net into packages," he wrote. "A huge advantage for entrenched companies, but it totally ices out startups trying to get in front of people which stifles innovation. This is what's at stake, and that's why we have to save net neutrality."

Technically, Portugal is bound by the European Union's net-neutrality rules, but loopholes allow certain kinds of pricing schemes like the one outlined above.

Yonatan Zunger, a former Google employee, recently retweeted Khanna's tweet, adding: "This isn't even the worst part of ending net neutrality. The worst part happens when ISPs say 'we don't like this site's politics,' or 'this site competes with us,' and block or throttle it."

Basically, it's a huge giveaway to companies like Comcast and AT&T, who get to charge everyone else piles of money for nothing they aren't doing now.

That money comes from your business, and from every company you buy things from - which means it comes from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

i dont understand why you think this
    Zone Controller