Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Good points. Never thought about it working the other way, where companies could pay to have their competition throttled, but that would definitely be possible.
    Yeah, any overtly competitive industry (rideshare, finance / high-freq trading, insurance, blah blah blah) would now introduce another "competitive" mechanism but an underhanded, hidden-from-consumers one that would almost inevitably drive up costs, reduce product quality, and so on.

A proponent of this current nonsense could I guess say, "make this practice illegal," but the retort would just be "keep net neutrality in the first place then."

Will TRCO benefit from this nonsense? I figger the respances here might be better.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    It wouldn't work, is my point, because only those content providers already wealthy/influential enough to damage ISP revenue through blocking their services would be able to have any impact. Instead of eg Comcast deciding what you saw, you'd have eg Comcast + Amazon. It goes from monopolistic control-of-access to oligopolistic control-of-access, which is not really better and in any event FAR, FAR worse than egalitarian access like we (more-or-less kinda-sorta) have now.
    We're speaking to two different issues: the possible and the probable. I don't disagree that it's a dangerous negotiation, that's actually what I meant in my first post when I said it's a moment of truth for Google and those who say they want net neutrality. They have the power to enforce it if they band together on the issue, and actions speak louder than words. Heck, they could make it downright difficult for anyone to oppose them by getting some EU legislation that penalizes international companies who don't sign on to a neutrality pledge (which would have teeth under this proposal because non-neutral activities would have to be disclosed). Your prediction that they won't do this is certainly as valid as any other prediction. Just the difference between can't and won't. There's no reason for the industry at large to let it just be Amazon or Google on the other side of the table, they should be united on this. If they do nothing I'm inclined to take that to mean Google is lying when they say they support net neutrality because they can't be too dumb to think of this option.

I feel like your argument is a bit like saying "if someone cuts off your hand, you get a hook, which you can also use to grab stuff." That is true and I don't disagree, but it's still worse than having a hand even in the best case scenario.

I feel like your argument is a bit like saying "if someone cuts off your hand, you get a hook, which you can also use to grab stuff." That is true and I don't disagree, but it's still worse than having a hand even in the best case scenario.
    We do not disagree. But I think you miss my actual point, which is perhaps even more cynical: there are a lot of web companies opposing the change publicly but who might just decide to take advantage of the change if it happens instead of doing something to negate it, which I believe is within their power. What are these companies saying privately? You know, in that room where the bribes get handed over?

If they surprise everyone and do the right thing (the change looks inevitable, but forewarned is forearmed) then I think the analogy of losing a hand would be outlandish hyperbole, but I won't bet on them doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    We do not disagree. But I think you miss my actual point, which is perhaps even more cynical: there are a lot of web companies opposing the change publicly but who might just decide to take advantage of the change if it happens instead of doing something to negate it, which I believe is within their power.
    Ah - yes we are in full agreement here then. Hoping Google or Amazon will save us is desperately naive. I am every bit as cynical as you here.

the sky is falling !
    -chicken little

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HR9vqx9oTQ
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

If we're lucky this move will destroy the entire internet and skynet will be averted.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    If we're lucky this move will destroy the entire internet and skynet will be averted.
    at least there'd be no more twitter

Everyone on tgr would have to be in the same place so we could pass notes around.

I laughed. Then I realized TGR would be the least of it: what happens to all the Fuckerbergers if that sweet, sweet juice goes missing? TEOTWAWKI

It just shouldn't happen. Any other argument is stupid. Fucking stupid. You wanna pay cable type shit categories for your internet?

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    It just shouldn't happen. Any other argument is stupid. Fucking stupid. You wanna pay cable type shit categories for your internet?
    I don’t often qft twodogs but qft

We're speaking to two different issues: the possible and the probable. I don't disagree that it's a dangerous negotiation, that's actually what I meant in my first post when I said it's a moment of truth for Google and those who say they want net neutrality. They have the power to enforce it if they band together on the issue, and actions speak louder than words. Heck, they could make it downright difficult for anyone to oppose them by getting some EU legislation that penalizes international companies who don't sign on to a neutrality pledge (which would have teeth under this proposal because non-neutral activities would have to be disclosed). Your prediction that they won't do this is certainly as valid as any other prediction. Just the difference between can't and won't. There's no reason for the industry at large to let it just be Amazon or Google on the other side of the table, they should be united on this. If they do nothing I'm inclined to take that to mean Google is lying when they say they support net neutrality because they can't be too dumb to think of this option.
    Content providers banding together to force the ISP's to practice net neutrality would be a clear anti-trust violation. Even if they wanted to do it, it would clearly be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Content providers banding together to force the ISP's to practice net neutrality would be a clear anti-trust violation. Even if they wanted to do it, it would clearly be illegal.
    Only if they did it as a negotiation tactic. If it's an industry standard that says "if you want to make money online you have to be neutral or accept throttling/blocking from those who are (otherwise) neutral" then it's just an industry standard. Mix it in with a few others: measures against spam, for example. Happens all the time; see United Laboratories, ISO 9000 etc.

Interesting points on the inevitable lawsuits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/o...pgtype=article
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Everyone on tgr would have to be in the same place so we could pass notes around.
    notes, drugs, and hooks

i think this poses huge downside risk to our current economy. i might buy some volatility

I don’t often qft twodogs but qft
    X2. Oh, and motherfucking fuck fucking Comcast.........

What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

I find it interesting that for years everyone has bitched that cable doesn't offer a la carte options, but it is somehow a travesty here.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I find it interesting that for years everyone has bitched that cable doesn't offer a la carte options, but it is somehow a travesty here.
    What a nutty argument. You don’t really understand how the internet works at all. Comcast doesn’t pay google for the right to “carry google.” Comparisons to cable companies show an incredible misunderstanding of the issue.

Internet access is the sale of bandwidth, not content. Cable companies are fighting to make internet access the same as cable as their existing monopolies crumble under consumer choice.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    What a nutty argument. You don’t really understand how the internet works at all. Comcast doesn’t pay google for the right to “carry google.” Comparisons to cable companies show an incredible misunderstanding of the issue.

Internet access is the sale of bandwidth, not content. Cable companies are fighting to make internet access the same as cable as their existing monopolies crumble under consumer choice.
    Don't forget, this is the same guy who said NN is going to help people like his parents who watch Simpson's VHS tapes. He apparently has absolutely no idea about the interwebs or the implications of NN.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Net Neutrality Repeal Looks Likely

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    great comparison, you must be a philosopher or something

when was the last time your bank access happened through tbs?

Only if they did it as a negotiation tactic. If it's an industry standard that says "if you want to make money online you have to be neutral or accept throttling/blocking from those who are (otherwise) neutral" then it's just an industry standard. Mix it in with a few others: measures against spam, for example. Happens all the time; see United Laboratories, ISO 9000 etc.
    would you care to explain--because what I could find about ISO 9000 seems to have nothing to do with the issue at hand. In any case, an industry standard--like everybody's VHS tapes being compatible with everyone's VHS players (may the RIP) is one thing. Banding together to enforce a standard that affects how much money other companies can make is about as obvious a case of anti-competitive collusion as you can get. An individual provider can negotiate with an ISP. For example--Google could tell Comcast that if Comcast doesn't provide net neutrality no Google content, including searches, Chrome, Gmail, etc--would run on that ISP. But Google and Amazon and Netflix couldn't get together and make the demand as a group.

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

great comparison, you must be a philosopher or something

when was the last time your bank access happened through tbs?
    Think about what you are saying. You really believe you won't have access to your bank account? Please.