Central CA Foothills, Sonora to Kernville

Family Thanksgiving in Mariposa and want to ride and am looking for regional suggestions, can anyone share some ideas on where to go from there, limited on time Thursday & Friday so may, gulp, road ride but can hit the road on Friday evening south, north or west, just have to get to work on Monday morning in Tahoe.

I have been to Oakhurst and have ridden 007, but have only ridden 007 there, any chance of getting to Shuteye Peak and having a fun descent (snow level wise?), any other recommendations in the area? Are snow levels too low in Sonora for PCP? Is there good, clear, lower elevation riding in the Sonora area?

Further away I'm getting recommendations for Arnold Rim Trail, San Joaquin River Trail and am interested in Cannell Plunge/Kernville Area if it's clear as well. Strong rider, will climb for fun descent.

Thanks
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Shuteye is about the elevation that got plastered last week. I don't live in the area but I know mammoth just on the other side is covered and smothered. I'd imagine you could get on most of 007, BUT a lot of it got washed out last year in the return of noah's flood, AKA 2017 winter in California.

Send a message to CS here. He's local-ish.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

MMMM plaster - thanks!
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Wofford Hights Evans road - 155 - I did it a long time ago. The downhill is spicy
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

The Plunge is awesome... but the top is almost definitely covered in snow right now (starts above 9k).

PCP is good right now. A little bit of snow. There are trails near Lyons Res and DR too.

Glory Hole Recreation Area is good below Sonora.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Sweet - going riding! Thanks for the beta and keeping me from from driving to Kernville, I'll get to the plunge another day

Word from the shop in Kernville is the Plunge is in great shape. they ran a shuttle today and will again on Saturday, if there is demand. Heading that way from Mariposa, early Friday AM, will ride some of plunge on Friday and hopefully catch a shuttle on Saturday, otherwise looking like a long ass climb. if there is any interest in a Saturday Plunge shuttle holler

I don't have any suggestions but say 'hi' to Gracie for me.

Willow Creek in Oakhurst. Bass lake area.
    Climb the pavement up Beasore rd. I like to shuttle this ride. Then look for small plywood sign off to left marked with spray paint.
    Ride in on fire road and think like a mtb for trail entrance it can be hard to find. There are two entrances both fun i like to ride the one on the right first has a fun spicy 8 ft tech granite roll then a nice 200 ft down granite shelf with views.
    then when it intersects the trail on the left pedal back up and turn around and descend.
    Make sure to take the small detour to check water falls and pools.
    For more info contact Yosemite bike shop in Oakridge.
    Here is a link for another mtbs route
    .https://www.mtbproject.com/symbol/5136113
    have not done it this way im all about the down.
    Last edited by mtbcat; 11-24-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Central CA Foothills, Sonora to Kernville

Thanks cat, i missed this when I was in Oakhurst, but will be back to give it a try. I ended up heading up to Shut Eye, that peak is pretty rad, I could not find the single track off the top so rode back down the road (that top section is fun) and jumped into upper 007, fun stuff. I found a few strava tracks after the fact so will go back and give it a try another day.

I was late leaving Mariposa on Friday morning and decided against the drive to Kernville.

You J McH? If so, nice job on the climb, you snaked my KOM from a few years back .

Nice views from up there.

Nice. I did Shuteye over 4th July weekend. The singletrack is a bit hard to find, then its a rutted chundery mess for a while before it gets better. You'll need that GPS track for the slickrock sections, the largest of which you'll have little hope of finding the exit without something to follow. Fun adventure ride.

Ev, i was thinking that it might be an adventure ride, thanks for the FYI - i'll head back earlier in the day next time. I thought the trail picked up from the southside of the peak, i poked around for ~ 10 minutes but was solo, with no light and was cooked from the climb. Teledad, yeah that's me, that climb cooked me - tough last few miles but the views are pretty amazing, mammoth all the way to Whitney in the distance?

Nice work on Shuteye and you can see the Mammoth Kamikaze from the peak.
    i did pedal up there once took the fire road back down to 007 recent trail work no ruts and a tacky bob sled ride down.
    Cheers .