Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    THANK YOU. This thread has me SMDH.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Great response from a 'professional'.

This isn't about the kid. It's about the adult.

Get a babysitter / take shifts skiing & being with the baby.

It's dumb and an accident waiting to happen.

And BTW most accidents happen on the low angle groomers where beginners proliferate.

It's not about how good a skier you are. It's about the randomness of beginners in a confined area.

The responisble ski areas don't allow it. Very much with the emphasis on responsible.
    I didn't say jack about skiing in a busy resort with a kid.

I was responding to a comment that skiing is inherently unsafe with a kid, that the kid is just a fashion accessory, and that the kid will suffer from the cold. This is all bogus given a parent takes adequate precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I work in early childhood -- child neglect and abuse prevention.

This is like...the literal least of our worries. Parents that actively engage their kids in the outdoors by continuing their normal habits/sports/activities are both a) far happier and healthier parents and b) the kids are far more likely to grow up in a supportive, exploratory environment crucial for early learning and problem solving skills.

So please piss off with your unscientific moralizing.
    But this is literally illegal in some areas, and the parents are already outdoorsy types, so keeping them from one activity.... is that really that much of a factor?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

My $.02.

Father of 6 yr old. Has been on skis since 1.5 yrs.

It has been a decade of more since I've been to WB. If I recall correctly the areas around the mid stations are hard groomed. So they are not great for making snow men, sledding, play in snow, unless there has been some fresh.

The lodges are decent sized, but I hate being in those things. If it is cold, stormy, windy; and you don't want to try a babysitter, I'd suggest one if you starting your day, get the morning, the other and baby arriving mid station before lunch, making a switch, and then getting baby down mountain.

On warm, nice days it is easier to swap laps.

What I like was skinning with a ergo for mellow groomer laps. Not sure on WB inbound uphill policy, but I did it when we had a pedestrian lane at KW for a Cirque comp.

Kiddo got a little bit of a glide on a mellow groomer. I got out for some fresh air and exercise.

There is certainly big flat mellow spots to poke around with kid on your chest.

I liked the ergo cause it packed up small and was good for walking around base, etc.

Fuck these nay sayers. If you are aware of your surroundings, a good skier and not totally unlucky, your kid will survive.

A little older and I'd suggest P2P laps, but at 6mo they won't likely notice it much.

Next year you can get those lucky bums strap on plastic skis and put those over their snow boots. One can't ski those, so you need to hold your kid by a harness between your legs, but then you can take lift rides, pull over, make a ski bench, break out the hot cocoa and cheer people as they ski by.

Oh, just in case, full body down bunting - only eye and nose sticking out a hole- allowed our kid to slid and skid like a seal on wet rock. No sled needed. He loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    But this is literally illegal in some areas, and the parents are already outdoorsy types, so keeping them from one activity.... is that really that much of a factor?
    Illegal and against resort policies are not the same thing. I'd be highly surprised if it was in fact "illegal" at the local or state level -- very few child welfare laws specify specific activities. Let alone as something as tiny as skiing.

It's not a factor to keep the kid inside a bit. My point was responding to the over-the-top post about how a kid being cold and on a parent while skiing is overly dangerous. If we want to get into the developmental benefits of getting kids outside in "dangerous" activities from an early age, I'd be happy to in another thread. But lets not pollute the OPs question.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthmafia View Post
    THANK YOU. This thread has me SMDH.
    SMDH?

Sucking Mad Dick Huh?

Front pack for the win. The balance is better imo. Just go slow and safe.

Fresh and Deep.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

At Whistler? Too many jabronis to account for. I'd pass.
    At some quiet mild hill with nobody around? Maybe.
    Just go for a skin and take Jr on some gondola rides.
    My sidekick still raves about the "gondola going to the top of the pretty mountain"

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I work in early childhood -- child neglect and abuse prevention.

This is like...the literal least of our worries. Parents that actively engage their kids in the outdoors by continuing their normal habits/sports/activities are both a) far happier and healthier parents and b) the kids are far more likely to grow up in a supportive, exploratory environment crucial for early learning and problem solving skills.

So please piss off with your unscientific moralizing.
    I agree 100% with you. When I had my first child it was totally unplanned at least by me. My entire life was focused around climbing mountains and being outdoors. I stuck my son in the snugglie than after head control the backpack and never let up. I think life worked out pretty good for both of us. pretty stupid to take your child to a resort in a backpack though.
    off your knees Louie

On the slight chance the kid gets stuck in the pvc tube for some reason, I'd fit a cap to the bottom with a schrader valve so you use a bike pump to pop him/her out.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Oh, and I like the idea of resort skinning with the kid outside of operating hours.

I was more worried with my 3.5 YO, skiing tethered. If they're on your body, only you have to move to avoid a moran. When they're on the snow, you have to ski like a blocker in football to keep said morans out of harms way.

How many of you opinionated jackasses that think skiing with a kid in a backpack is a bad idea don't have kids?

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthmafia View Post
    PLEASE do’nt ski with your baby.
    Not safe, not even remotely, for you or the baby or anyone around you. Not to mention probably cold and not fun for the baby. PLEASE do’nt use your baby as a fashion accessorry.
    I ca’nt even believe this is a serious discussion.
    just go away, please

Our primate relatives jump from trees with babies. They seem to be indifferent whether they carry them on their back or front.
    Front:

Back:

Exactly. Hang on lil dude! We're doing this together!

I might be hesitant to board with a kid tho...

Which major resorts actually allow this in the first place? Aspen is pretty chill and I know it's prohibited here.

edit: yeah according to Whistler's website it's not allowed there either.

As the Clownshoe pointed out it's a no go at WB.

We took our little guy up the Gondola plenty the last two seasons and did the hand off laps. Seems each time when I had the little guy in the front carrier and I walked to the ski rack to get my skis to download someone would see it and panic thinking I was going to ski out with the baby. I've had liftty's come running to tell me I can't ski with the kiddo several times. My usual response is that "We just skied a few Peak laps, no problem, the guy likes The Couloir but we skipped the Coffin."

This year it gets more complicated trying to drag the 2.5 yr old and the 8 month old up the Gondola so we can do the hand off laps.

Quote Originally Posted by huckster989 View Post
    Thanks for the good suggestions I was looking into the nanny thing but the Mrs is concerned about leaving the kid with someone we don't know. We will probably do alternating laps while the other parent plays in the snow or mid station lodge.

So stoked for when he can start skiing

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TGR Forums mobile app

Child care can be a welcome break from seemingly non-stop parenting duties. But child care at a ski resort is...magical.

I think we were nervous the first time we dropped kiddo #1 off, but getting to ski alone with your SO and "off-duty" from parenting is super quality time for the two of you.

We used the day care near Garibaldi lift and thought they were great. But seemed like there were plenty of nannies who can stay with the kid at your place and the caliber of care was pretty high. Maybe book them for 30-60 minutes ahead of time so mom can ideally get comfy with this person watching her baby.

Thanks again for those who provided constructive feedback and suggestions, for those of you freaking out and tossing your hands in the air chill out and learn to provide a calm thought out response that will add to the conversation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TGR Forums mobile app
    Carry on my wayward son...

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    On the slight chance the kid gets stuck in the pvc tube for some reason, I'd fit a cap to the bottom with a schrader valve so you use a bike pump to pop him/her out.
    Potato gun it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    WB doesn’t allow kids in carriers of any kind.

He can ride the gondola with you and hang out at the Roundhouse but that’s it.
    too bad. was going to suggest lapping the gondola to avoid having to deal with chairlifts, and was hoping to do this at some point with my currently 5 mo old daughter. but i'm on a board so a back/chest pack probably isn't so safe

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Our primate relatives jump from trees with babies. They seem to be indifferent whether they carry them on their back or front.
    Front:

Back:
    Human babies at 6 months don’t grip like that. Spurious.

We had three kids. Did several cross country two or three hour trips with little one in a sledge I pulled. Never in any cold below -10*C tho. While we would walk with the babies in a kiddie backpack, I never would have been comfortable skiing with a kid in one, especially when they were really small with no real neck strength or control.

When we went to a resort, we would trade off with kid in Lodge. Some resorts had Baby day care as well. I am an expert and strong skier, but there are a lot of unskilled and out of control folks out there. IMO, the risk wasn’t worth it.

So while very early childhood my kids missed out on the slopes until they could do it themselves, it hasn’t hurt them and all are avid skiers, hikers, mountain bikers, and learning to climb. Among other sports and outdoor pursuits.

Kids are only at that stage for a short while in the scheme of things. We can work around the inconvenience for the sake of a life that depends on us for survival.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

I skied with my youngest in a kid carrier when he was 1. I kept him in the pack and placed him facing forward on the lift as we got on. It actually sat really well, though I didn't dare let go.

Got a few strange looks, got a few more kudos.

Skiing was fine with him in the back, he actually fell asleep on one run.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, and I'm not sure I'd do it again, but it can be easily managed.

And no way would I use a chest mount. Seems like a recipe to fall on the kid. Then again, I don't ski in the back seat.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    But seemed like there were plenty of nannies who can stay with the kid at your place and the caliber of care was pretty high. Maybe book them for 30-60 minutes ahead of time so mom can ideally get comfy with this person watching her baby.
    Hell yeah, they got the nanny system down at Whistler, it's great. These girls do this full time, they are not psychos who are going to mistreat your kid. Plus having the nanny come to your room means no exposure to the myriad germs etc. of the daycare (although we did the daycare thing at lots of ski areas too). Just my opinion, I understand the mom has the final word. (My wife was like leave those damn kids, let's go skiing!)