Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

kids in backpack or chest mount while skiing

New father here looking for some advice. Anyone ski with little kids in a backpack or a chest mounted carrier?

I know their is risk to the kido if I fall but I'd stick to groomers and keep it sane. Do most ski hills allows this or is it frowned upon?

We are heading to Whistler with a 6 month old in December and I know we will take the gondola up to mid mountain and use that as our base camp for the day but can I spin laps on the groomers with him on my chest as long as hes warm and smiley?
    Carry on my wayward son...

my parents threw me in an external frame backpacking backpack and skied sunny spring groomers when i was 9 months. But i was the second child, so they had stopped caring about child proofing and general safety by that point.

Kinda sketchy riding the lift.

Chest mount would be safer if the bar could close.

The backpack needs removed so then you have a squirmy baby on a chairlift. = no bueno.

Just whatever you do please don't be one of those freaks that puts their baby facing away from them on their chest. Your baby needs to be able to tuck its face into your chest when it gets scared or nervous. Personally though I would suggest a frame style backpack and practice taking it off and putting it back on safely. Have some sort of a lanyard so that it's always attached to you even when you're on the chair lift with it. Heaven forbid you drop your baby.

thanks for the constructive advice but if the baby is facing towards my chest how will he get to enjoy the face shot? I'm kidding....kind of

We used a frame pack and ergo back pack style when the kids were 1.5 and 1. When you factor in the lack of head control sub 2 years, cold, diapers, snacks, naps, etc it’s hardly skiing. We had better times letting the kids just butt slide around the base lodge while one of use took a few runs.

We used a backpack, Alta, the bird, no problem. Turn pack around so you arms are through the straps to ride the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    We used a frame pack and ergo back pack style when the kids were 1.5 and 1. When you factor in the lack of head control sub 2 years, cold, diapers, snacks, naps, etc it’s hardly skiing. We had better times letting the kids just butt slide around the base lodge while one of use took a few runs.
    This...never did it but the head control strength of a sub 2 yr old isn’t reliable and while I’m ok with my skiing ability, having some jong from TX run into you changes the dynamics of an on slope accident significantly when a 1 yr old is involved. Is that something you’re really willing to risk for a few groomer runs?

In my opinion, not worth it at all but once they can walk get them on the bunny hill. The rest of the time, you and the S.O. Trade off watching the kid while the other can ski as they see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by huckster989 View Post
    New father here looking for some advice. Anyone ski with little kids in a backpack or a chest mounted carrier?

I know their is risk to the kido if I fall but I'd stick to groomers and keep it sane. Do most ski hills allows this or is it frowned upon?

We are heading to Whistler with a 6 month old in December and I know we will take the gondola up to mid mountain and use that as our base camp for the day but can I spin laps on the groomers with him on my chest as long as hes warm and smiley?
    WB doesn’t allow kids in carriers of any kind.

He can ride the gondola with you and hang out at the Roundhouse but that’s it.

Nope.

Anything in a bjorn type carrier, let alone backpack is going to be way too bouncy for a 6mo's neck and head, nevermind the all the risks of being hit by a 10 yo on a snowboard, etc..

I would look at xc / super mellow tours with a sled setup to tow the kid around if you want to get him outside with skis on your feet, but otherwise its babysitting or some other form of childcare or no ski for u.

Welcome to parenthood. Its worth it, I swear!

Mellow tours with a Burley or Chariot + ski attachment or a backpack is the way to go. Wouldn’t suggest resort skiing with them on you. By the time they are old enough for it to be safe, they can get on skis themselves.

We hired a nice Aussie nanny to come to our room at WB and as I recall it wasn't even very expensive. She even took the kids up the gondola for a scenic, I guess it was free. Anyway something to consider. Well worth it.

Thanks for the good suggestions I was looking into the nanny thing but the Mrs is concerned about leaving the kid with someone we don't know. We will probably do alternating laps while the other parent plays in the snow or mid station lodge.

So stoked for when he can start skiing

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TGR Forums mobile app

There is a great daycare in one of the hotels. I forget the name but it's the hotel closest to Garibaldi Lift co. They do all day, naps, snacks, take the kids out to play in the snow. Wasn't too pricey either but you may have to be a guest of the hotel. I'm sure other hotels offer a service too.

Too young imo. But you can have fun in the lodge. My boy pulled himself up to standing for the first time in a ski lodge. There will certainly be other parents with kids to drink with while your kids take naps, then switch off and hope you get some good skiing.

There's some old pics of mikeyB touring with baby Owen on his back.
    You might search out those threads or PM him

So, you want to be this family...
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLifeUnbo...6672331441576/

We started skiing with our kids when they were 5 months old. Lived and worked at a ski area. Bought a piece of 12" diameter pvc, which barely fit inside a Lowe expedition size backpack. Wrapped the inside of it with insulite, and installed a modified body harness. The harness kept our babies from going to the bottom or flying out the top of the pack; the harness kept the babies down inside the tube.Put a down puffy in front of them so the head was supported. Didn't ski the gnar with them, but felt comfortable about falling, etc. with them on one's back. No arms and legs hanging out, etc. Much safer than any kid carrier I've ever seen. Used the vestibule to control temperature inside the pack. They would actually sleep for hours in there when they needed to. Went touring and skied in area with this device. Lent it around after our kids didn't need it. Many happy families. Fondly remember days with one out front and one in the pack. People didn't even know you had a kid on board.

PLEASE do’nt ski with your baby.
    Not safe, not even remotely, for you or the baby or anyone around you. Not to mention probably cold and not fun for the baby. PLEASE do’nt use your baby as a fashion accessorry.
    I ca’nt even believe this is a serious discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthmafia View Post
    PLEASE do’nt ski with your baby.
    Not safe, not even remotely, for you or the baby or anyone around you. Not to mention probably cold and not fun for the baby. PLEASE do’nt use your baby as a fashion accessorry.
    I ca’nt even believe this is a serious discussion.
    I work in early childhood -- child neglect and abuse prevention.

This is like...the literal least of our worries. Parents that actively engage their kids in the outdoors by continuing their normal habits/sports/activities are both a) far happier and healthier parents and b) the kids are far more likely to grow up in a supportive, exploratory environment crucial for early learning and problem solving skills.

So please piss off with your unscientific moralizing.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 11-21-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    We started skiing with our kids when they were 5 months old. Lived and worked at a ski area. Bought a piece of 12" diameter pvc, which barely fit inside a Lowe expedition size backpack. Wrapped the inside of it with insulite, and installed a modified body harness. The harness kept our babies from going to the bottom or flying out the top of the pack; the harness kept the babies down inside the tube.Put a down puffy in front of them so the head was supported. Didn't ski the gnar with them, but felt comfortable about falling, etc. with them on one's back. No arms and legs hanging out, etc. Much safer than any kid carrier I've ever seen. Used the vestibule to control temperature inside the pack. They would actually sleep for hours in there when they needed to. Went touring and skied in area with this device. Lent it around after our kids didn't need it. Many happy families. Fondly remember days with one out front and one in the pack. People didn't even know you had a kid on board.
    Dude, fkn great idea. I love it.

My girl is a little too big for The Tube at 15mo, and too free-spirited by now to be confined so... but if kid 2 comes around, it will ride in something like that.

We have a 2 yr old, and we debated about going this route but eventually decided against it at the resort, largely due to the worry of some bro trying to get his speed on and tomahawking into us. Super mellow tours in the backcountry wouldn't bother me though (<20 deg.), and kiddo is coming on her first hut trip this winter.

Yeah Norseman, really only good for that first winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    We have a 2 yr old, and we debated about going this route but eventually decided against it at the resort, largely due to the worry of some bro trying to get his speed on and tomahawking into us. Super mellow tours in the backcountry wouldn't bother me though (<20 deg.), and kiddo is coming on her first hut trip this winter.
    I wouldn't think taking the kiddo to the resort on a weekend would be a good idea, but a normal sunny tuesday at 1030 am seems like it would be pretty darn safe from Texas Tuckers... no?

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I work in early childhood -- child neglect and abuse prevention.

This is like...the literal least of our worries. Parents that actively engage their kids in the outdoors by continuing their normal habits/sports/activities are both a) far happier and healthier parents and b) the kids are far more likely to grow up in a supportive, exploratory environment crucial for early learning and problem solving skills.

So please piss off with your unscientific moralizing.
    Great response from a 'professional'.

This isn't about the kid. It's about the adult.

Get a babysitter / take shifts skiing & being with the baby.

It's dumb and an accident waiting to happen.

And BTW most accidents happen on the low angle groomers where beginners proliferate.

It's not about how good a skier you are. It's about the randomness of beginners in a confined area.

The responisble ski areas don't allow it. Very much with the emphasis on responsible.