Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I skied with my youngest in a kid carrier when he was 1. I kept him in the pack and placed him facing forward on the lift as we got on. It actually sat really well, though I didn't dare let go.

Got a few strange looks, got a few more kudos.

Skiing was fine with him in the back, he actually fell asleep on one run.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, and I'm not sure I'd do it again, but it can be easily managed.

And no way would I use a chest mount. Seems like a recipe to fall on the kid. Then again, I don't ski in the back seat.
    Yeah, all this. I skied with my kid on the back age 8 mo to 2.25 years. The little hill I was skiing at (Shames) allowed packs at the time. He had a blast, sleeping on more than one occasion, but usually making happy noises. I went to visit some buddies at Sunpeaks and was told I couldn't ski with him in a pack. So I skinned from the Burfield side of the mountain, over to the Sunpeaks side of the mountain. Got him some gear and we went skiing for the first time. That was it for the pack pretty much. I think he asked to ski in the pack a couple more times when we got back to Shames, but he was a skier after that.

I personally don't think it was a big deal for me, however I've seen some people that should definitely not have been skiing with their kid on their back (and I don't like the kid in front method). So I can see why it's pretty much banned everywhere now.

Pretty happy I did a few days of really mellow touring with the kid on the back (0 avalanche risk, easy untracked pow). The kid enjoyed it immensely and so did I.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoDaddy!.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	306.0 KB 
ID:	216906
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I had every intention of doing this but baby mama said no.... we’re thinking of going to whistler in mid December if snowing so daycare info is appreciated.

Best thing I saw was at craigieburn in NZ. A parent with a baby hanging outside on the deck with a backpack carrier. Use it to haul baby up the rope tow and he/she said they are taking turn skiing and babysitting. They told me that craigieburn allowed it and sell transferable pass for the couple with a baby since only one can ski at any time while other partner babysit.... Does any resort do that in North America? I’m sure they got to enjoy the end of the day ride down to the parking lot with baby.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

When we are talking infants, its important to consider they dont have the physical strength or anatomy to support the weight of their heads. Let alone, counteract the acceleration and deceleration forces associated with skiing. There is also considerably more room in the cranium for their brains to bounce around. Jogging or running with a baby strapped to your back is not supported by any medical establishment that I am aware of.

When you are calculating risk vs benefit for your child, it's important that you don't outweigh the potential risks to the child by countering them with benefits to your self.

Granted, there a lot of risky activities that well intentioned and educated parents expose their children to, for any number of reasons. most of these children turn out just fine. This is a heuristic trap, beware. and consider that not exposing your child to these potential risky scenarios is in no way depriving them of an experience or opportunity.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Never skied 'downhill' with our daughter, but we enjoyed lots of xc and meadowskipping tours with her. Depending on where, she was in the ergo on the front, or in the chariot. Last year, the kelty replaced the ergo. I think the coldest day was around -15C or so, but she was in the ergo, and I run very warm. She loved it while awake, or was sleeping soundly. She may use the chariot this season once the snow sticks in the valley bottom, but she is starting to enjoy sliding under her own power now. We haven't spent much time at the resorts the past season but that had little to do with her. So far this year we've been on the sled for an early season braap - fun times!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    ss is trippin
    Tripping on science and accepted Child Development standards

https://blog.ergobaby.com/2011/02/fa...ing-positions/

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Nope.

Anything in a bjorn type carrier, let alone backpack is going to be way too bouncy for a 6mo's neck and head, nevermind the all the risks of being hit by a 10 yo on a snowboard, etc..

I would look at xc / super mellow tours with a sled setup to tow the kid around if you want to get him outside with skis on your feet, but otherwise its babysitting or some other form of childcare or no ski for u.

Welcome to parenthood. Its worth it, I swear!
    For sure.

Totally forgot about the floppy neck

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Tripping on science and accepted Child Development standards

https://blog.ergobaby.com/2011/02/fa...ing-positions/
    That article is extremely biased. There is no corroborating external research, or any actual evidence beyond the expert opinion. additionally, there are design limitation with this product, that require the infant to face a certain direction, largely due to ergonomics of the infant. so it's very convenient that this expert opinion, without an supporting documents, supports the design limitations of the product.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Nope.

Anything in a bjorn type carrier, let alone backpack is going to be way too bouncy for a 6mo's neck and head, nevermind the all the risks of being hit by a 10 yo on a snowboard, etc..

I would look at xc / super mellow tours with a sled setup to tow the kid around if you want to get him outside with skis on your feet, but otherwise its babysitting or some other form of childcare or no ski for u.

Welcome to parenthood. Its worth it, I swear!
    I've skied with my oldest in the pack just once. She got cold and yelled. Mellow tour ended rapidly accompanied by screaming.

She and her sister love getting hauled in the trailer, though. And if we are going lift-served, the older one just skis on her own.

Quote Originally Posted by huckster989 View Post
    Thanks for the good suggestions I was looking into the nanny thing but the Mrs is concerned about leaving the kid with someone we don't know. We will probably do alternating laps while the other parent plays in the snow or mid station lodge.

So stoked for when he can start skiing

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TGR Forums mobile app
    You're going to be trusting your kid to people you don't know until he's not a kid (and then there's a good chance you'll be trusting him to a bunch of frat boys who will try to make him drink himself to death). Might as well get used to it now. I would have no problem trusting the day care hired through the resort or one of the hotels. They're probably better at baby care than you are.

We hired private day care near Alpine Meadowsn when our eldest was about a year and a half old--her husband was an instructor and came in every afternoon with their two girls. Years later I watched one of those girls in the Olympics. She DNF'd both of her events. The year before we left him with his AZ grandmother--we made the switch in the SLC airport on our way to Alta. Boy did we miss him; it was horrible--for about 30 minutes, then we pretty much forgot about him for a week.

Name:	DSC03799.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	588.9 KB 
ID:	217180
    saw several at Red Lodge sunday

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    This...never did it but the head control strength of a sub 2 yr old isn’t reliable and while I’m ok with my skiing ability, having some jong from TX run into you changes the dynamics of an on slope accident significantly when a 1 yr old is involved. Is that something you’re really willing to risk for a few groomer runs?

In my opinion, not worth it at all but once they can walk get them on the bunny hill. The rest of the time, you and the S.O. Trade off watching the kid while the other can ski as they see fit.
    This was my take too. Although I was tempted by kid #3 but the risk wasn't really worth the reward. For me. But yes, good advice on page 1 about securing the head.

I think some mellow touring would be way safer than the groomers amongst flying tourons.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I think some mellow touring would be way safer than the groomers amongst flying tourons.
    If the parent is a very proficient skier in all conditions, this is the single most important argument for not skiing with a kid in a pack - there's a bunch of hacks out there who can't ski that will hit you at mach chicken. And, as I said before - most resorts don't allow it now anyway.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    That article is extremely biased. There is no corroborating external research, or any actual evidence beyond the expert opinion. additionally, there are design limitation with this product, that require the infant to face a certain direction, largely due to ergonomics of the infant. so it's very convenient that this expert opinion, without an supporting documents, supports the design limitations of the product.
    That's one of many that I quickly picked. Out of a hundred articles on the subject you'll find 99 that say your child should be facing you. If you don't want to believe science just use common sense. What happens when your baby gets scared they want to tuck your head their head into your chest they can't do that if they're hanging off the front of you like an octopus.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    ......What happens when your baby gets scared they want to tuck your head their head into your chest they can't do that if they're hanging off the front of you like an octopus.
    Maybe they learn to suck it up and that daddy will be there for them.

It really depends a lot on the kid. This 14 month old got upset when the dad shielded her face from the wind on the way up. She wanted to look down from the chair.

Name:	P1000456.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	217195

Check out long time Mammoth ripper and business man Steve Klassen out with his daughter. Not exactly a back pack, but a good example of not letting fear mongering take over whatever decision you choose to make. He even takes a mellow lap thru the park with her. You rule Steve!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3GMCJbrMGA

YIKES!!! At the very beginning I was stoked to see the kid getting to feel the ride with dad. I carried my son and my son carried my grand daughter on BC trips. When dad started to show boat and it became all about the dad, I lost respect.

kids in backpack or chest mount while skiing

6 months pregnant

4 months

10 months

4 years

SKI THE BABIES!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

This is a bad idea for so many reasons and I'm honestly surprised so many people are supporting this. But on top of all the risk, it just doesn't sound fun. Hire some childcare; when they're older, get 'em some lessons and then really enjoy the mountain with them.

There's a lot of risk to skiing with your baby and for what? What's the benefit? You save a couple bucks?

kids in backpack or chest mount while skiing

It’s super fun!

What could be better than sharing what you love with your child?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    It’s super fun!

What could be better than sharing what you love with your child?
    Yeah, but you can share it with them when they can actually comprehend it. What's the rush?
    Again, the benefit is mostly yours: feeling like your sharing something with your child. But the immense risk is shared by both you an your baby and if daddy takes a tumble and bad stuff happens, you may not be sharing anything with your child ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I work in early childhood -- child neglect and abuse prevention.

This is like...the literal least of our worries. Parents that actively engage their kids in the outdoors by continuing their normal habits/sports/activities are both a) far happier and healthier parents and b) the kids are far more likely to grow up in a supportive, exploratory environment crucial for early learning and problem solving skills.

So please piss off with your unscientific moralizing.
    Yeah, your above statement is obviously true, but my wife has her masters in early childhood education and would debate you on this one when specifically speaking about - Alpine skiing with and infant - risk vs reward. Many ways to "engage their kids in the outdoors...".

Regardless, I never did the pack thing, but imo it makes a huge difference on where you intend to ski and what the temp is. Skiing a wrod or almost any busy resort would be asinine and purely selfish. If the focus is on your child then you'd go somewhere for them, not you. I.E. Meadow skipping like the pic Mikey posted.

I got to ride with my baby on my chest. Pick your battles and base your decision on how busy the slopes and the snow conditions.

What I found out was how hard it is to strap in with a baby and probably most dangerous part is at the top and bottom where people congregate. I came to the lift line to unstrap first but later I was far away from the lift line to unstrap and skate to the lift line looking uphill. At top, instead of most logical place to strap in, I would go to spot where no one is strapping in or hanging out.

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    I got to ride with my baby on my chest. Pick your battles and base your decision on how busy the slopes and the snow conditions.

What I found out was how hard it is to strap in with a baby and probably most dangerous part is at the top and bottom where people congregate. I came to the lift line to unstrap first but later I was far away from the lift line to unstrap and skate to the lift line looking uphill. At top, instead of most logical place to strap in, I would go to spot where no one is strapping in or hanging out.

Did it with the first. Not the second as the novelty wasn't there. Honestly with a kid in the backpack you need to ski so conservatively/defensively, it's kinda boring after a run or two.