Spring central CA surfing

Alright, just looking for some info here not looking for any snide remarks

Me and my buddies go to CU, and we have some surfing experience. We're most likely road tripping out to California for spring break, doing some skiing in Tahoe, hopefully climbing fly fishing and riding bikes a long the way. We had thought about surfing but have no beta.

Just looking for input as to what to expect in terms of swells that time of year/if it's worth our time

Take it easy - Thank you

Yep, there might be some waves in the Pacific by then. It's been generally flat for weeks/months in Ventura.

Spring is a usually a mixed bag. Generally there is enough swell, but frequently it's blown to pieces by winds.

Depends how bad you need a wave. Good luck-

Ummmm .... CA has an 800 mile long coast line. Give us a hint: N? S? Central??????

And we take no responsibility of for anything as you're requesting swell data for 6 months out, so ..... sure it will be 8"/overhead, glassy, with soft offshores ......... guaranfuckingteed.

Oh, and begging for mercy just results in getting butt raped.

Hey pb barney.... read the title to her post.

Morro Bay and Cayucos will be a good area to start out with. As you head north from there the beaches will be harder to access because of more rugged terrain.
    There are some great breaks along hwy1 and it could be 2 ft to 10ft. But you should be able to find a nice break to paddle out to.
    Lots of offshore kelp can help keep it glassy unless the wind really kicks up.

Another good spot is Jamala State Beach . Its a big open beach break and can get Big . Lots of closeouts but can be fun on the right swell direction

Have Fun. Keep an eye out for sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by whitekingsalmon View Post
    Hey pb barney.... read the title to her post.
    I humbly stand corrected; we've now whittled it down to a 280 mile stretch of highly variable coastline.

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    Another good spot is Jamala State Beach . Its a big open beach break and can get Big . Lots of closeouts but can be fun on the right swell direction
    Windy as fuck for days on end in Spring. Jalama is great in its own way, but definitely a long shot in terms of odds for surfable conditions.

"Some surfing experience..." Sounds like you don't have much. As such, and coming from CU, you probably need to rent suits and boards? Bay area lodging is pretty expensive. If that's not a problem, you could do Linda Mar in Pacifica. They will rent you everything and then you can walk to the waves. You can also do that at Cowells in SC, or Pismo or Morro. Bolinas is not Central CA, but they offer everything, as well as cheaper lodging if you want to stay in a Motel 8 and drive an hour to surf each day. If you have your own gear, there's other info, so maybe a little more info would be nice?

If you're decent surfers, and road tripping, why not go further south ensure better waves? Hotels in Garden Grove are cheap, and Trestles is a manageable drive from there.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

As far as wind, I don't know many spots in California that don't have wind by 10 am on most days. If you happen to be lucky enough to get access to the ranch, maybe offshore
    But wind is a trademark of the California cost, and any other spot in the world where the ocean rests near a desert

surfing 101

Just get in the water as the sun comes up

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    Just get in the water as the sun comes up
    I think we had different college road trip experiences. I usually was getting into bed as the sun came up.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    "Some surfing experience..." Sounds like you don't have much. As such, and coming from CU, you probably need to rent suits and boards? Bay area lodging is pretty expensive. If that's not a problem, you could do Linda Mar in Pacifica. They will rent you everything and then you can walk to the waves. You can also do that at Cowells in SC, or Pismo or Morro. Bolinas is not Central CA, but they offer everything, as well as cheaper lodging if you want to stay in a Motel 8 and drive an hour to surf each day. If you have your own gear, there's other info, so maybe a little more info would be nice?

If you're decent surfers, and road tripping, why not go further south ensure better waves? Hotels in Garden Grove are cheap, and Trestles is a manageable drive from there.
    Thanks for a reasonable response. Really just rolling ideas around in our head. Was thinking overall it was gonna be little out of our price range as broke ass college kids. Probably will just be skiing and slumming in Tahoe.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Berg View Post
    Thanks for a reasonable response. Really just rolling ideas around in our head. Was thinking overall it was gonna be little out of our price range as broke ass college kids. Probably will just be skiing and slumming in Tahoe.
    Go to UCSC and you're bound to hook up with good beta a some good kids your age to get advice on where to go, like Cowells or the Hook.. Easy trek down from Truckee.

JBerg, the season is upon us. PM me if you're thinking about the Bay Area. I'll bro you into a room near the airport. I think I can get it damn near $70 a night.