Are you practicing unprotected BC skiing? Say no to bareback skiing!

Don't let that early season powder lust get you in trouble!

Have you pulled out the old trusty beacon and done a few avy drills before heading up for the first turns of the year?
    Shit gets rusty over the summer. So the first drill I did this morning, I started my signal search, ran past the beacon, and my buddy casually asked, is that thing on search? DOH!

You gotta roll with protection in your pocket or purse (and brain....) !

So here's the deal, I'll donate $5 for each person that responds with a photo or post of saying they're practicing safe skiing (i.e. they pulled out the beacon, probe, shovel, and what not and refreshed for the season) to the Slide Podcast... up to $200.

Go!
    Last edited by sfotex; 11-22-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Put a set of new batteries in there too ya cheapskates.

And put together your shovels and probes.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Listened to the Slide podcast, checked my beacon (fully functional, batteries at 75%), replaced my probe (the cord was fraying), buffed my shovel handle (feeling tight) watched a couple of videos and read some abstracts comparing snowpack stability tests (sticking to CT as my primary).

Right on man. Practiced beacon drills with the nephews. They hide the practice beacon and I go and search.

New non-airbag pack ski pack I have been rocking on summer day hikes to get used to its nooks and crannies. Last years avalanche I had 2 headlamps in my pack like always, but think I may have been a little shocky and did not locate them until days later.

Great idea, sfotex.

Here in VT we don’t get a lot of avalanche activity, but next door (on both sides) they happen, as well in the Chic Chocs. So I updated my batteries, including spares, unfurled my probe, and pulled Bruce Temper’s book off the shelf to put next to the bed to read each evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Great idea, sfotex.

Here in VT we don’t get a lot of avalanche activity, but next door (on both sides) they happen, as well in the Chic Chocs. So I updated my batteries, including spares, unfurled my probe, and pulled Bruce Temper’s book off the shelf to put next to the bed to read each evening.
    That book knocks me out cold within 2 pages even when I am sleeping in my car at -20 after realizing that blow and adderalls dont work anymore after driving 20 hours through the prairies to get out west.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    ...... blow and adderalls dont work anymore ......
    shitty blow?
    PS: we practiced beacon searches and strategic shoveling yesterday
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Put fresh batteries in. Put fresh spare batteries in the pack. Re-upped the first aid kit that was well depleted of Vitamin I and moleskin.

Yesterday went out with a buddy I did my Level 1 with and his new SO who has her Lvl 1 scheduled for a Jan hut-trip. Not much snow to ski, but a fresh 10" of storm slab sitting on classic early season CO mix of wind slabs, crusts and ground/surface facets. So instead of really skiing we did a companion rescue, beacon drills, played with the dogs, and drank a bunch of coffee in the snow.

And -- listened to the new Slide podcast on our way up.

took a new to the bc out with an old bud last week to refresh ourselves and teach him the basics. Also took a couple old dts out to practice multiples on our new tracker 3's.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Taught 3 avalanche awareness classes so far. Nothing's a better refresher than having to explain it to a room of 100+ people.

Need to do some rescue scenarios soon.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Taught 3 avalanche awareness classes so far. Nothing's a better refresher than having to explain it to a room of 100+ people.

The truth. Although my group is only about 20, and it's a week from now. Group companion rescue practice will be closer to Xmas once the compound snow piles gain some mass and solidity.

Put new batteries in the beacons, skied some powder and did some drills today. A fun trick I like to play is throw down a spare glove and turn the "buried" beacon off, watch the confusion on your partners face as they don't get a signal and walk right by the "victims" hand sticking out of the snow as they stare at their beacon.

That's the best you can do?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

You could also hide the beacon in a tree and pretend to laugh at that as well.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Batteries everyone! New batteries and extra batteries in your pack for your buddies that don't bring new batteries to replace those ones that are corroded from last year.

Fresh and Deep.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

That's awesome man. No better way to honing your skills then to teach others and have others asking questions.

Fresh and Deep.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Most importantly, don't be idiots. Ski terrain appropriate for the conditions and use terrain to mitigate the risk of getting caught in a slide. Second guess your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by buildakicker View Post
    Batteries everyone! New batteries and extra batteries in your pack for your buddies that don't bring new batteries to replace those ones that are corroded from last year.

Fresh and Deep.
    Yes for bringing extra batteries. Partners showing up with dead batteries happens at least a couple of times a season, and not just at the start.