Which Custome Footbeds?

My 15 year is a competitive park and pipe skier and has been having problems the last few years with really bad shin bang and last year with a stress fracture. Multiple (competent) boot fitters as well as his doc have suggested that custom foot beds would help him with stability in his boot. I've used them for years and love them but never really shopped around for options (just bought what was available).

So, I'm looking for input on the different options. Seems like there is a wide range of options from the semi custom Superfeet Carbon foot beds for around $125 to the Surefoot options for $250. Curious about options, pros and cons. Given his foot is likely to grow I'd rather stay away from the most expensive option

Given that continued repetitive injury may make the discussion mute before his feet stop growing, you should probably pony up the $$$. Surefoot, at least... Real foot beds start there and go up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Shin bang in Kids is very common. Top of the boot needs to be super tight with no gap. Kids get shin bang and loosen their boots which compounds the problem. Booster straps to replace the stock power strap if its flimsy. Really closing the gap up top should help.
    If hes using the stock footbed that came with the boot throw away and don't bother with custom. 50 dollar super feet should be good enough for him.
    Is he super high end? Might be out skiing his current boot? Whats he on?
    I coached mogul kids and park as well for many years. Shin bang was a big problem.
    If he does that weird sit back on the in run thing that the cool kids do, smack him.
    Switch landings are easier on the shins. Make him land everything switch! haha.

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    Shin bang in Kids is very common. Top of the boot needs to be super tight with no gap. Kids get shin bang and loosen their boots which compounds the problem. Booster straps to replace the stock power strap if its flimsy. Really closing the gap up top should help.
    If hes using the stock footbed that came with the boot throw away and don't bother with custom. 50 dollar super feet should be good enough for him.
    Is he super high end? Might be out skiing his current boot? Whats he on?
    I coached mogul kids and park as well for many years. Shin bang was a big problem.
    If he does that weird sit back on the in run thing that the cool kids do, smack him.
    Switch landings are easier on the shins. Make him land everything switch! haha.
    He’s used the superfeet $50 ones for years. And he’s pretty high end, but I don’t think the boots are the issue — Dalbello KR Rampage with intuition liners. Shin bang is totally common, all his teammates have it. His is just worst.

Hmmm. Those are good boots. Are they nice and snug at the top? Can't see custom footbeds helping too much but who knows.
    No shame in using advil responsibly for when he has to train / compete.
    Poor guy. I know how much it sucks from coaching and when I was 15.
    Landing backseat and pulling your self up also is a disaster for young shins.
    Does he do that silly sitting on the tails thing? Even know what I'm talking about?

Hmmm. Those are good boots. Are they nice and snug at the top? Can't see custom footbeds helping too much but who knows.
    No shame in using advil responsibly for when he has to train / compete.
    Poor guy. I know how much it sucks from coaching and when I was 15.
    Landing backseat and pulling your self up also is a disaster for young shins.
    Does he do that silly sitting on the tails thing? Even know what I'm talking about?
    He's pretty good at not skiing in the backseat. He's been doing a lot of PT, and per-season strengthening to help with keeping him upright and out of the backseat. He also has some bio-mechanic stuff with his feet and gait which is why the docs and bootfitters want him in custom footbeds.

Foot beds won't mitigate shin bang. Landing right will. If foot beds= better landings go for it. There is no product that will reduce bad balance in bang time. (Maybe footbeds).

I'd imagine if the doc is giving recco, go see a podiatrist and have them make a baller custom footbed and have insurance pay. Otherwise go see a boot fitter and let them build a custom footbed in house after looking at boot, stance, etc. In my experience that'll be start at $300. Try the insurance route.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I spent a lot of time in the park when I was younger and the shin bang would get to the point where I could barely ski. I think it was mostly caused by a loose cuff and the occasional back seat landing. The three buckle Dalbello, wrap liners and booster straps helped. Make sure he tightens the cuff throughout the day. What made my problem go away was getting out of the park and off groomed runs.

It's called 'afterbang' and it's pure steeze.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by Notchtop View Post
    Foot beds won't mitigate shin bang.
    Appropriate footbeds will stabilize the foot laterally, help maintain arch shape in a super mobile foot, minimize pronation, help maintain a minimal overall foot length for people trying to size down, and lock in the foot to minimize fore aft movement. Only the last has the potential to lessen shin bang.

It is usually more about distributing the pressure equally along the the length of the shin with no cuff gap, and with many kids the problem is compounded by really skinny lower legs and big feet which require an adult size (with correspondingly larger diameter cuff).

As for which footbed, it depends on his foot and the shape of his arch. If he's got average mobility and his arch shape and height matches that of an existing trim-to-fit footbed, that will work fine. If he's got a really pointy "triangular" arch shape, a boxy "rectangular" arch shape, his arch is ahead or behind the average position, then he's probably in the market for a custom. Shops usually charge $150-250 for a good posted custom, and some bootfitters are better at doing it than others.

Get thee to Ye Olde Custome Footebede Shoppe.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Surefoot's custom footbed system is pretty sweet. They aren't cheap but they last a long time.

I got custom foot beds but IME a 40$ off the rack foot bed will work if you can figure out which one works for you

the soles work for me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Booster Strap

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I got some Aline and they work well with cabrio and booster FTW
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

The hinge points in those Dalbello Cabrio style tongues can be a killer. I had horrible shin bang from skiing a pair of kryptons with the tongue too soft and the boot a bit too small. The ample tongue flex created a hard hinge point on my shin that knocked me out of skiing for a week last year due to the evil bang. I sold those boots ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums