Avalanche Canada - Mountain information network

Generally curious about user experiences with this resource. I use the forecasting every day and always read the forecasters blog, but I find very few people (including myself) bother to create individual reports/ observations.

As much as I would love to share my generalized observations, the thought of adding my exact location to the report is a bit of a barrier. I am also a bit disappointed that the public site isn't better integrated with industry reports from the local Cat / Heli ops and even resorts.

So why you guys no file reports on the Mountain info Network?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

I’m also checking their forecasts and am out making obs most days. I’ve checked the MIN reports in my (Southern Kootenays) plenty of times, but the tiny number and generally poor quality of the reports is as good as useless. I’d be into contributing to something that works, but otherwise it’s a waste of my time. All the info we need is already available on the daily InfoX, if only those fuckers would share.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

In the Yukon we do not have a forecast, we have the Hot Zone Report, which is primarily a crowd-sourced avalanche advisory product (similar to forecast but without danger ratings). The Yukon Avalanche Association deploys a professional field team when required and as our budget allows, but Mountain Information Network (MIN) posts are often the sole source of data used to produce the HZRs. Last year we did a big push to drive traffic and engagement with the MIN and more than 230 reports were produced locally, about 15 percent of all reports submitted in Western Canada. The MIN is critical for us, unless we moved to a reporting/field obs platform of our own, which isn't likely.

There are lots of barriers to participation, like the unwillingness or hesitation to drop pins in exact locations where people have been out skiing. The solution we have been advocating is that people drop the pin where they feel comfortable, like at a trailhead, or within a particular drainage. That level of granularity is totally sufficient, and allows users to contribute data without disclosing the finer details of their day/routes if that's important to them.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I’m also checking their forecasts and am out making obs most days. I’ve checked the MIN reports in my (Southern Kootenays) plenty of times, but the tiny number and generally poor quality of the reports is as good as useless. I’d be into contributing to something that works, but otherwise it’s a waste of my time. All the info we need is already available on the daily InfoX, if only those fuckers would share.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Didn't infoX used to public access? I used to have access to it.

OP has a good point, main reason I don't like posting obs on there is I don't want people seeing where I am skiing. Last year there was a avy educator from our area who was posting beta from one of our zones, think it was his first time up there. Pin right on the spot, mtn named, pics of the ski terrain. I was not impressed.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

I've been thinking about this recently also. The MIN is such a great resource but it definitely seems under-used. IMO AvCan should allow users to pin OBs just to a region instead of a specific lat,long. Even a trailhead might be too close for some...

The InfoEx is an amazing tool, and AvCan is basically just compiling it for public consumption, but it's definitely nice to actually be able to look at the specifics...
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Generally curious about user experiences with this resource. I use the forecasting every day and always read the forecasters blog, but I find very few people (including myself) bother to create individual reports/ observations.

As much as I would love to share my generalized observations, the thought of adding my exact location to the report is a bit of a barrier. I am also a bit disappointed that the public site isn't better integrated with industry reports from the local Cat / Heli ops and even resorts.

So why you guys no file reports on the Mountain info Network?
    Last year I filed some but the mobile had glitches (JSON errors )and then when that got fixed the desktop got glitches.

I stuck location pins into very generic locations like say Whistler Peak. Then filed my reports and obs to make it clear they were very generic - eg N facing slopes in the Blackcomb area.

I'm going to try to make a concerted effort to use it this year but with generic locations

Hah... the glories of being in the sea to sky area, can't be telling no one where you ski.

^^^^ same as around here. Our crew used to be the only ones with sleds getting after it skiing wise..... now that is changing. Damn kids.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Hah... the glories of being in the sea to sky area, can't be telling no one where you ski.
    i dont mind sharing with friends. But fuck 7000 #southcoasttouring lemming gapers

They had Ilja Storm on the CBC yesterday asking people to post more info.