Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Couple of Snowboarders Have Been Missing at Mt. Baker Ski Area for last 3 nights..

Article - http://www.kiro7.com/news/north-soun...cast/647502683

They didn't come back Sunday night, it's been nuking and SAR has called off the search for now. Send some vibes, prayers +++

That's shitty. Just gotta hope they found or dug a cave and are waiting it out.

Good time to review the "what's in your pack" list before folks head out this weekend.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

damn, vibes being sent. glad to hear they have avy gear, but if they dont have supplies they could be in trouble. hoping for the best outcome.

Any word?
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

man that sucks......Like James said, hopefully they're hunkered down waiting it out.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Just Kids man, Terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    hopefully they're hunkered down waiting it out.
    Sure hope that's the case, and they're just cold and hungry at this point.

any updates?

search is back on. http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news...185239753.html

Far right of the map shows the parking lot where they parked.

They most likely they walked, snowshoed or skinned toward this zone.

However if I remember correctly you need to be in decent shape to get out toward the point, especially if they were hiking or snowshoeing. I'm guessing when they get found its going to be very close to the parking lot. Sadly.

Hopefully they're on a roundabout way back to the parking lot. Friends and family must be freaking out. Vibes for sure.

Sent from my XP7700 using TGR Forums mobile app

Damn. Hoping they are ok somehow. Vibes
    Last edited by roverdoc; 11-17-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Positives thoughts for a good outcome.

poor kids. hope they are not suffering too much out there...
    skid luxury

From what I've heard, the speculation is that they were heading toward blueberry chutes. It's not a particularly difficult hike from the back of the upper lot, but there are definitely traps for those not familiar with the area. The top is open and flat(ish), and the edge has very few trees. I don't know what the visibility was like that day, but it would be easy to fall off or get cliffed out if you couldn't see and didn't know where you were going.

The topography tends to channel snow there so you have a terrain trap at your back, and if you don't know your way back up to the visitor center (there's usually an established skin track, but it's probably too early in the season) it would be easy to get lost down there. If they ended up on top of the lake, the ice might not be thick enough yet to support a person.

I hope they're ok, but the feeling here in town isn't good.

Does no one make a directional dish optimized to receive beacon signals from a helicopter? Seems like a 48" dish antenna could pick up a transmission from a mile or two away, and at least get searchers in the right area. Geeks with DIY directional wifi antennas steal internet from unsecured routers miles away, there's gotta be a way to do the same thing with a beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Does no one make a directional dish optimized to receive beacon signals from a helicopter? Seems like a 48" dish antenna could pick up a transmission from a mile or two away, and at least get searchers in the right area. Geeks with DIY directional wifi antennas steal internet from unsecured routers miles away, there's gotta be a way to do the same thing with a beacon.
    You're assuming they're wearing beacons.

I've thought about that. Or using an array of antennas but that's so much more complicated. My work involves arrays and beamforming though, so that's where my initial thoughts go.

I read about some student group making drones with an antenna for emergency beacons. I think the idea was to let the drone fly a grid and look for where the signal originated. Mostly for search and rescue type stuff but I don't remember if they looked at avalanche beacons

Toured around that area last year during heavy snow days in early december. All around table mtn there were avys poppin. 2 skiers were caught the day prior.

Thought one of the articles said they had them. Assuming they were turned on, batteries could be getting low though.

That tech exists. They have it in Utah for SAR, and used it a couple years ago to help locate a solo burial and fatality in the Canyon's resort backcountry.
    The victims batteries were low and it greatly reduced the effectivness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I've thought about that. Or using an array of antennas but that's so much more complicated. My work involves arrays and beamforming though, so that's where my initial thoughts go.

I read about some student group making drones with an antenna for emergency beacons. I think the idea was to let the drone fly a grid and look for where the signal originated. Mostly for search and rescue type stuff but I don't remember if they looked at avalanche beacons
    King County Sheriff’s has one of these
    http://www.denverpost.com/2012/11/24...search-beacon/
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I like this, it's the first application of this tech that (on more a more civilian basis) that I can get behind. I can see this having potential for large scale an multiple burial situations too.

On another note...
    Looking forward to skiing with you.

Subscribed. Keep us updated!

checked in hoping for better news...very sad

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums