Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hakuba 2017 Tips and Stuff....?

Quite a few Hakuba threads but most are pretty old. I'm heading there in January and would love to hear any advice from the experienced. Will be attending FWT event which appears to be at Happo-one. I'd like to stay somewhere cool, cheap if possible (but cool could prevail if it's not ridiculously expensive), and convenient (easily walkable?) to Happo. En suite bathroom preferred.

Best Tokyo airport to fly into? Best transport from Tokyo to Hakuba? Lodging? Food? Other stuff to be aware of or watch for? All recommendations appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

The mere thought of you trying to fit inside a Japanese bathroom is hilarious!

Fly into Tokyo and either shuttle from there or bullet train to Nagano and shuttle from there. Hoppo One is dope, the side country is redonc. Hakuba has a good shuttle sytem and wouldn't make staying near the resort a goal. Hakuba Powder Lodge is a cheap fun place.

There is a service to mail your skis from the airport to your hotel and back, I would jump on that shit. I think the name is black cat in Japanese.
    Hello darkness my old friend

The Black cat is awesome. +1 for them getting a redonkulous over stuffed ski bag to the air port and holding it for a week for something like $20.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    The mere thought of you trying to fit inside a Japanese bathroom is hilarious!
    That's because of my really big hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    The Black cat is awesome. +1 for them getting a redonkulous over stuffed ski bag to the air port and holding it for a week for something like $20.
    I'll third that one, you can also use it to send your bags from your ski hotel back to the airport. I think it takes max 48 hours to get your bags anywhere in Japan. It's a great way to tour Tokyo or something at the beginning/end of your ski trip without having to haul your ski gear around the city.

Anyone know of a reliable website that has up to date snowfalls and weather for the popular ski resorts in Japan, much like onthesnow.com. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

off your knees Louie

Anyone have any Happo lodging beta?

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Anyone have any Happo lodging beta?
    i figured someone would give you a recommendation, I always stay at a Ryokan so I get my meals. I would recommend doing a search and booking one that has availability. I have stayed in over 20 different ones at all different prices. I would return to all of them. In Hakuba I stayed with a friend and then at a Ryokan. I would recommend that one but cannot remember the name. It was run by a ski instructor and his wife somewhat of a legend in Hakuba. It is primarily used by a ski club from some town. All their gear was in the basement. Language was definitely an issue but would probably meet the criteria of cool
    off your knees Louie

Hakuba 2017 Tips and Stuff....?

Any recommendations on guide services? Figure it might be worth it for a day to get some local insight.

Not sure if I'm old or just a moran, but I'm having a helluva time figuring out where to stay. Japanese language websites, wildly varying prices and reviews. Sheesh. Anyone have specific places? I'd like to stay a short walk to Happo-one, onsen, around $100 a night or less of course. Seems like breakfast is typical.

Booking aggregate sites offer limited details etc., blah blah blah. Maybe I should engage a travel agent.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ure_Chubu.html
    this place comes up when I do a search. I do not know your dates. I have always had good experiences at ryokan especially the smaller ones. Your dinner is included so big savings. If you need a travel agent name PM me.
    off your knees Louie

Thank you. Shared bath the way to go? Would be nice to have my own but maybe not so important.

Quote Originally Posted by dFiddler View Post
    Any recommendations on guide services? Figure it might be worth it for a day to get some local insight.

Neckbeard from here is a local guide. His shit books out almost instantly.
    https://www.facebook.com/mountainlifejp/ is his facebook account. He used to post in here very frequently, but from following him on FB he is just back from NZ heli guiding and firing right into Hakuba. Never met the guy/been on a group but seems very very legit and is constantly updating snowpack info for us Jongs to use. If he has space i wouldn't hesitate

That's a great tip. Thanks. I don't want to do a group, but will ping him for lodging ideas. Much appreciated.

BFD, thank you too. Sadly, that spot - which looked pretty great - has no room at the inn when I need to go.

I’ve had the best luck booking hotels in Japan with the following websites, these also seem the best priced.

https://www.agoda.com

https://www.booking.com

Just returned and thought, for anyone looking in the future, that I'd share a couple of things it would have helped me to know going in. Nothing you couldn't ascertain with some googling, but maybe this can save someone a few steps. YMMV and this is based on my experience, needs and observations of others experiences while there.

Though there are lots of fun and interesting ways to get there, the simplest is a once-a-day shuttle between Narita and Hakuba. This is the most efficient means of transport between the two. The trick is you have to time your flights to work with it. It leaves Narita at 11:00am and leaves Hakuba at 10:15 arriving around 4:00 pm. Book this first then time your flights around it. It is very comfortable and things run on time in Japan.

Black Cat luggage transport takes 2-3 days to get from Narita to Hakuba, so this isn't a great option unless you are killing a couple of days in Tokyo or elsewhere in or out or are going to chill in Hakuba before you ski.

Schlepping a ski bag through Tokyo, taxis, trains and stations is kind of a PITA. If you do the direct bus thing both ways you won't notice that, but if not consider only taking your boots with you and renting skis. There is a plethora of high-quality, convenient rental outlets and options. You can get all kinds of mag-worthy, new skis including with touring bindings. They allow you to swap skis for different conditions anytime. Prices are not cheap but reasonable and probably worth it for the hassle factor.

Online mapping doesn't give a clear picture of lifts and their locations. Look here for all the real maps and most updated conditions.

I felt like staying in Happo Village was a win. There are cheaper options that are less convenient but there's your trade-off. I could easily walk - with shouldered skis - to and from Happo-one gondola, the Happo bus terminal, and many eateries and drinkeries. Happo bus terminal can become an important place as you will use it to get around. The shuttle system to other resorts and villages is excellent and by and large free. Get to know it early.

I had a hotel a short walk from the center of the village. Private bath, nice onsen, and I had breakfast included (Japanese or western style) and the people were wonderful. Dinner was available too but I wanted to explore the dining scene and generally this was a cheaper option. Visit the Lawson store early and often for snacks, in-room beverages, and instant ramen exotica.

You can eat fairly cheap if you try, or you can easily spend shit-ton on food. Avoid the Tex-Mex place. Ended up there one night when everything else was full. Bad idea. There is some terrific food there, though it is generally westerner oriented unless you speak and read Japanese which I don't.

Lift ticket pricing is worthy of exploring before you go. They are ridiculously cheap compared to US prices. Some ski areas are connected with others (Goryu/Hakuba 47 for example) and work on the same ticket (which isn't always crystal clear). Most have a senior (ugh) option, with some starting at 50 and others at 60.

There is the Hakuba Valley Pass which allows you to ski anywhere anytime. You can get discounts on this as well as some others at your hotel. My math showed that the all-valley pass really only makes sense if you are riding multiple resorts in the same day which some people do. I didn't unless they were already connected on the same ticket, and there's no senior option.

I'll add to this if I think of more, or if you have a question feel free to pose it.
    Last edited by oftpiste; 01-31-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks for the beta. Looking at a trip next January. Where did you end up staying?

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    Thanks for the beta. Looking at a trip next January. Where did you end up staying?
    Here.

Was it as much fun as we told you it would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Was it as much fun as we told you it would be?
    And then some. Wonderful experience and thanks to you and S for the encouragement and tips!

Did you happen by the Little Alaska Burger hut? Is it still in business? Still the best burger I've had in my life.

No, I was avoiding burgers as they're readily available at home! But there seem to be plenty of them there.

Quote Originally Posted by dFiddler View Post
    I’ve had the best luck booking hotels in Japan with the following websites, these also seem the best priced.

https://www.agoda.com

https://www.booking.com

Agree with agoda. Stay in a traditional room. Much better than the western ones. Also the smaller hotels are always better. Avoid places with a lot of euros or westerners. Some time it just feels like u are at vail. Ie places like niesko. Have not been on the southern island yet, but these tips helped on the northern one.

Also eat hella ramen....

Sent from my van down by the river. Using a NewSchoolers hack... sick I know.
    That fly seems to like you!