Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Haha did not make it to the end of this..... damn. h K ad u had fun. I love japan. Can't make it this year. Buddies going to Hakuba this week. If anyone sees a tall asian/white/mexican/black guy names Joe who laughs all the time say hi for me.

Sent from my van down by the river. Using a NewSchoolers hack... sick I know.
    That fly seems to like you!

Bump, heading to Hakuba and Myoko Kogen with the GF early Feb '19. Staying right next to the lift in Myoko and in Echoland in Hakuba. Any tips for the best drinking and eating spots? Bonus points for some killer karaoke time.

Also, what skis should I bring? Helldorados 185, OG Protests 188 (no edge left at all really), OG Hellbents 189, new OG Spurs, or new Surface Balance 194? Will be doing at least some amount of cruising groomers probably.

If I went again I'd not take skis at all. The rental outfits there have good stock and you can swap around once you rent. WAY easier than schlepping your ski bag on and off of planes and trains. I took my big Bodaciouses, and it might have been more ski than I needed but there were many times I was glad I had some stiffness and edges.

There's a little Izekaya across the street from the bus station in Hakuba village. Seriously good and hard to get into without a res. They serve gyoza that instead of wrappers are wrapped in chicken skin. Completely ridiculously good. Go there with someone Japanese if you can. You'll get a different menu.

FWIW, and maybe too late or not interesting, but I would stay in the village instead of Echoland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    If I went again I'd not take skis at all. The rental outfits there have good stock and you can swap around once you rent. WAY easier than schlepping your ski bag on and off of planes and trains. I took my big Bodaciouses, and it might have been more ski than I needed but there were many times I was glad I had some stiffness and edges.

There's a little Izekaya across the street from the bus station in Hakuba village. Seriously good and hard to get into without a res. They serve gyoza that instead of wrappers are wrapped in chicken skin. Completely ridiculously good. Go there with someone Japanese if you can. You'll get a different menu.

FWIW, and maybe too late or not interesting, but I would stay in the village instead of Echoland.
    Thanks for the advice.

How much per day did you see it was to rent?

In Hakuba, why the village and not Echoland? I've read that there's more of a nightlife there and more options to eat and drink too.

I did not rent gear so don't know, but the shops in the village have online access, probably in English IIRC. My impression from my friend that did was that it was not unreasonable.

If you want clubbing kind of nightlife, yes, I suspect Echoland is the place. NMT really (I'm a geezer) so didn't explore that, though I found plenty to eat and drink in the village. There was certainly partying, bars and food available in abundance in the village of which I partook, but not - AFAIK - a true 'clubbing' scene with DJ's etc.

I went to Echoland during the day once (walk from village) and frankly found it kind of bleak feeling. It's a few straight, linear blocks of businesses and lodgings while the village has winding streets and way more charm IMO. I also liked being a short walk to the bus station where I could easily get to any of the valley's resorts once you decipher the bus routines.

I liked being able to walk to the Happo One base and grab a chicken skewer from the cart dude at the bridge on the way back, or leaning my skis against the wall outside while I grabbed a beer or snack at one of a dozen places between there and the hotel. I liked that the local equivalent of a 7-11 store was readily accessible for keeping the room fridge stocked with beers and snacks and whiskey.

As with everything it's about what you want to experience. Stay where you think you want to spend your off time since when the busses shut down in the evening the taxis are crazy expensive. For me the village offered everything I wanted and I'd do it again that way if I went back.

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    Bump, heading to Hakuba and Myoko Kogen with the GF early Feb '19. Staying right next to the lift in Myoko and in Echoland in Hakuba. Any tips for the best drinking and eating spots? Bonus points for some killer karaoke time.

Also, what skis should I bring? Helldorados 185, OG Protests 188 (no edge left at all really), OG Hellbents 189, new OG Spurs, or new Surface Balance 194? Will be doing at least some amount of cruising groomers probably.
    Send pics of GF to unlock the rest of the responses...

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Send pics of GF to unlock the rest of the responses...
    Very original...Great Job!!

JONGS JONGing JONGS.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    JONGS JONGing JONGS.
    Damn, that's a bit harsh eh?

im near echo land (I think?) from the 23/1-1/2 probably by myself if anyones around.

Very harsh.
    I think oftpiste is pretty on the money with his reccos. Im guessing gf's bewbs aren't forthcoming so ill give mine. I would say its important to think about what you are after on the trip. If you want to get hammered and fall around with a bunch of drunk aussies then echoland will likely be a lot of fun. Echoland in my experience felt a little less like Japan and more westernized. I didn't spend too much time there, but my first impressions reminded me very much of Niseko in all the bad ways. You don't have to partake in it, but its definitely more on the 'I came to party and ski', not 'i came to ski' program if that makes sense...

If you've already booked, don't sweat it. You'll have a fucking blast! I have friends that go back to the same homestay in echoland every year and love it...

Damn truth sucks sometimes, don't it? (he said with love)

Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I think oftpiste is pretty on the money with his reccos. Im guessing gf's bewbs aren't forthcoming so ill give mine. I would say its important to think about what you are after on the trip. If you want to get hammered and fall around with a bunch of drunk aussies then echoland will likely be a lot of fun. Echoland in my experience felt a little less like Japan and more westernized. I didn't spend too much time there, but my first impressions reminded me very much of Niseko in all the bad ways. You don't have to partake in it, but its definitely more on the 'I came to party and ski', not 'i came to ski' program if that makes sense...

If you've already booked, don't sweat it. You'll have a fucking blast! I have friends that go back to the same homestay in echoland every year and love it...