Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Totally. This is supposed to be PHUN!

Got to condo jus after midnight, snow on the drive but doesn't seem like they got much rain in town. Shuttle company will know after today how high the will get for TWE. Thinking some Navajo rocks loops today.

Riding it tmrw... my guess is from the top of Kokopelli.

^^^cool, let me know.

Wife arrives grand Junction tonight, so thinking we will ride some Fruita trails today.

We shuttled to the top of Kokopelli.... that entire section was covered in 2" of snow. Once we hit UPS, it was absolutely perfect with no mud or puddles anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    We shuttled to the top of Kokopelli.... that entire section was covered in 2" of snow. Once we hit UPS, it was absolutely perfect with no mud or puddles anywhere.
    In other words: DO NOT RIDE KOKO TOMORROW.

Ok, thanks. Booked the mag 7 shuttle for today. 18 road was fun.

Ride Ahab tomorrow.... up Hymasa to Ahab, all the way down, then back up Hymasa to Pothole Arch... drop into Rockstacker and then Jackson's all the way back down. That's as fun a ride as there is without TWE being rideable from the top.

That^ but skip upper ahab on the way up and just go in at the midpoint.

No one needs to ride upper ahab. Ever.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

honestly, I'd have to agree with you.

Ride Ahab tomorrow.... up Hymasa to Ahab, all the way down, then back up Hymasa to Pothole Arch... drop into Rockstacker and then Jackson's all the way back down. That's as fun a ride as there is without TWE being rideable from the top.
    Yep, thinking that, thanks.

Mag 7 was awesome.

I agree 100%. They should change the name, it doesn’t deserve to be called Ahab.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    Back in the day we'd just ride it from town to avoid the shuttle. Think it was 25 mile road spin up if I remember correctly? Just pack an extra bottle or two and a pb and j and made a day of it. Starting early was key.
    Your efforts to bat your chest on the internet could seriously fuck someones day up. Not cool.

We get it though, your totally awesome at exercising. Good for you.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I'll second you don't need a guide. Not that you'll need it but it's all on trailforks anyway. Just bring a jacket for the top this time of year, and plenty of food, water, and tubes. Also watch out for the ice after the second creek crossing on Burro.
    A young local Flagstaff ripper got broken off on that ice patch a few weeks ago. Poor kid had to walk out with a broken tib/fib
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Poor kid had to walk out with a broken tib/fib
    Just the thought of that makes me queasy.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    A young local Flagstaff ripper got broken off on that ice patch a few weeks ago. Poor kid had to walk out with a broken tib/fib
    That'll build some character.

And I’d add skip Hymasa. Not a bad trail, but I think climbing the classic jeep road is more fun. Ahab, Rockstacker, and Jackson’s is a great ride.

Navajo Rocks CC or CCW?

CCW but doesn’t really matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    And I’d add skip Hymasa. Not a bad trail, but I think climbing the classic jeep road is more fun. Ahab, Rockstacker, and Jackson’s is a great ride.
    Fun is subjective, but if time is a concern it's definitely faster to climb the jeep road.

If you're going to do the whole thing, I'd actually recommend a "figure 8". Start at the main/middle lot, and go CCW on Big Mesa and continue onto Coney Island. When you hit Middle Earth, take a left and cross the road over to Ramblin'. Go CW on Ramblin and over to Rocky Tops, then up to Middle Earth, and take a right there to get back to the lot.

I personally think riding the entire system isn't much fun... Coney Island and Ramblin are the best two sections. If you have two vehicles, you can "shuttle" it from the top of Mag 7: do Mustang to Chisholm, then down Coney Island and Ramblin to the lower lot. It's only a 5-min drive back up to the top car.

If you're going to do the whole thing, I'd actually recommend a "figure 8". Start at the main/middle lot, and go CCW on Big Mesa and continue onto Coney Island. When you hit Middle Earth, take a left and cross the road over to Ramblin'. Go CW on Ramblin and over to Rocky Tops, then up to Middle Earth, and take a right there to get back to the lot.

I personally think riding the entire system isn't much fun... Coney Island and Ramblin are the best two sections. If you have two vehicles, you can "shuttle" it from the top of Mag 7: do Mustang to Chisholm, then down Coney Island and Ramblin to the lower lot. It's only a 5-min drive back up to the top car.
    Cool, thanks for the thoughts. Thinking of heading down to ride it day after Thanksgiving, and maybe something short/quick at Klondike Bluffs on the way out Saturday.

Short quick Klondike recco: Park at North Klondike trailhead, climb Megasteps, descend Alaska/Homer

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Short quick Klondike recco: Park at North Klondike trailhead, climb Megasteps, descend Alaska/Homer
    Come on... any good recommendation for K-Bluffs has GOT to include EKG.

Haha. EKG is for hate riding. At best, ride it early in your route.
    If you want to lose friends or get a divorce, park at the south TH and ride it back after yo-yoing your way north