Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 82
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Gotta disagree ... Burro is one of my favorite trails anywhere.
    I've heard rumors of "mountain bikers" that don't like Moore Fun, either.



    I usually suggest they take up knitting.


  2. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    When exactly was ďback in the day?Ē

    I can only assume you were amongst the very first people linking Porcupine Rim from Burro Pass.
    Between mid 90's and 2006.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    the junkshow
    Posts
    5,695
    Do you guys drive up Sand Flats to get to UPS or go the back way?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    582
    If you've never ridden the slick rock loop, do it. It's a unique experience and the 12 miles isn't much of an investment of time or effort. Great views, fun ups and downs, and traction for centuries.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    entrapped
    Posts
    709
    slickrock tall not so fun. Short loop maybe worth it for tourist factor. Do mag 7 or Ahab instead.

    Twe = good fun. No guide needed.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    7,392
    Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Are you saying it is boring?
    Like Woo said, it's an endless cycle of short steep descents to short but very steep climbs. You may love it, or you may hate it. For me, it got old fast and I was glad someone told me to ride the practice loop before setting out on the whole thing. If you finish the practice loop and decide you're into it you can still go do the rest, the total ride will only be about a mile longer.

    For roaming big expanses of slickrock, Bartlett and Jedi are better. There's also a big slickrock zone at the north end of Sovereign.

    If you (and PearlJam) aren't planning on riding Blue Dot/Portal you really really really really really should change plans and do that.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    1,830
    ^^Ok, thanks, that is what I was thinking.

    Yes, mag 7 to Portal is top of the to do list. Thanks for the Bartlett/Jedi tip.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SLCizzy
    Posts
    2,451
    Ride Slickrock practice loop twice around sunset. Second time is more fun cuz you know when to let off the brakes and also when to shift way up your cassette, itís much more enjoyable that way. Then drink beer and enjoy the view.
    To drive to UPS, usually go up Sand Flats to the junction with Kokopelli. Park or depart there and pedal up Koko a little bit to the campground or all the up to the cattle guard (not the LPS cattle guard)

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Do you guys drive up Sand Flats to get to UPS
    Yes.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    the junkshow
    Posts
    5,695
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yes.
    But not sand flats if you were going to do the WE right? Just trying to settle a debate we had last time we rode it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    1,098
    Don't you have to go way south of town for the road up to burro?

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    the junkshow
    Posts
    5,695
    Yeah thatís my question. We were just doing UPS because of weather but took the southern route which I thought was much longer. But to get to Burro I think you have to go south.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    But not sand flats if you were going to do the WE right? Just trying to settle a debate we had last time we rode it.
    I'd take the pavement to hit Koko, Hazard, or Burro. But to get to UPS, I'd take Sand Flats. Despite loathing that road...

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    the junkshow
    Posts
    5,695
    Thatís what I thought. Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    582
    Ah yes that long lovely southern route pedal....

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    Ah yes that long lovely southern route pedal....
    NO!


  17. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    3,836
    I did the slickrock trail once in like '96. Seemed really thrilling back then. Don't see doing it again.
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    cordova,AK
    Posts
    2,215
    popped my Moab cherry today on Navajo Rocks Chaco Loop. I thought it was a good intro. Head wind on Coney Island did suck, Definitely need to build up some skills.
    off your knees Louie

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    83
    Was in moab about a month ago. Loved TWE and Mag 7. I thought mag 7 was significantly harder than UPS.



    Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    22,950
    Did you mean mag 7, or Gold Bar Rim?
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    Back in the day we'd just ride it from town to avoid the shuttle. Think it was 25 mile road spin up if I remember correctly? Just pack an extra bottle or two and a pb and j and made a day of it. Starting early was key.
    it's a 52 mile loop if you ride from town, up sand flats, do a loop on jimmy keen for fun, get on the la sal mtn loop rd and then decend the whole enchlada from there back into town, do some laps at the bike park for a cool down at the end of the day. Don't forget to hit that little trail along the highway as you ride back into town, short but fun, Did it a few weeks ago, super fun, usually can do that loop faster than the average person starting at the top and decending, it also takes a whole joint though, lots of water and a cliff bar, wearing a racer sponsered outfit helps with the speed

    And slick rock is one of the best out there, lots of fun, super super challenging, don't understand why people hate on it so much, maybe becaue it's not easy? one of my must do rides every time I'm in moab

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,139
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    usually can do that loop faster than the average person starting at the top and decending,
    Looks like we found the best rider on the mountain. Thanks for the heads up.


  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Looks like we found the best rider on the mountain. Thanks for the heads up.

    fuck yeah

    we should ride sometime

    I fall over and pass out alot and need to be picked up and dusted off are you in?

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    it's a 52 mile loop if you ride from town, up sand flats, do a loop on jimmy keen for fun, get on the la sal mtn loop rd and then decend the whole enchlada from there back into town, do some laps at the bike park for a cool down at the end of the day. Don't forget to hit that little trail along the highway as you ride back into town, short but fun, Did it a few weeks ago, super fun, usually can do that loop faster than the average person starting at the top and decending, it also takes a whole joint though, lots of water and a cliff bar, wearing a racer sponsered outfit helps with the speed

    And slick rock is one of the best out there, lots of fun, super super challenging, don't understand why people hate on it so much, maybe becaue it's not easy? one of my must do rides every time I'm in moab
    I like your style!😎

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    I like your style!😎
    thanks for getting the joke, this is the internet, some people are so serious

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •