Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    I switched from a 27.5 overlap to a 26.5 Full Tilt SethMo. They came with an 8/10 tongue and I picked up a 10/10 tongue online. I use the 10 tongue in the Spring and the 8 the rest of the season.

Difference was night/day but likely has something to do with sizing as well. Regardless, I love my FTs and wouldn't go back. I have the ID liners and they are pretty warm. Ski performance is fine but I honestly haven't used them with anything wider than 100 mm. Mounting up some Bibbys soon so that will change.
    "Just send it you pussy."

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post

But if you don't already start the day with your boots warm, give that a shot before investing in something like hottronics.
    This is a real nugget for you dentists. Be serious about keeping boots warm before you put them on.

What's the rush with the Hotronics? They suck. Most skiers who have them don't need them.

A heated boot bag will accomplish several tasks without adding weight to your feet. I tell people- at minimum- use a std boot bag to insulate the cold air from their boots. If your boots are evenly slightly cold, the feet may never recover for the day. Never expose your boots to cold air.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    This is a real nugget for you dentists. Be serious about keeping boots warm before you put them on.

What's the rush with the Hotronics? They suck. Most skiers who have them don't need them.

A heated boot bag will accomplish several tasks without adding weight to your feet. I tell people- at minimum- use a std boot bag to insulate the cold air from their boots. If your boots are evenly slightly cold, the feet may never recover for the day. Never expose your boots to cold air.
    No rush on the Hotronics. Most reviews say they work well... for one season. I can spend less on new liners that will last several.

I drive a truck and the only things in the bed are skis and poles. Boots and clothes are in the back seat next to a vent.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Btw I returned the Dalbellos today. Planning to do more homework on the liners.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    People call orcas "fish" and the governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands "President" but it's out of ignorance, not lack of adequate vocabulary. In the case of three-piece shells, plenty of people who should know better persist in calling them "progressive" mainly because it sounds cooler and potentially sells better than "linear" or "constant" or "Raichle technology from the 1980's" . . .

It's because at some point in the past 10-15 yrs, "progressive" has come to mean "better" -- and in a very loose sense, no real contours/precision. An interesting development for linguistics people, I guess.

If you look at discussions of MTB suspension, you will see that linear vs progressive is a quandary for almost everyone. Maybe even for some of the people who design suspension frames.

#fakevocabulary

Yeah, as one of the people who said "progressive" (applied to 2 piece shells), I thought it universally meant "gradually increasing resistance," as contrasted to linear (which I would call 3 piece shells), meaning "same resistance throughout the range" Whether or not you think one or the other is better or cooler, different issue.

I grew up racing on the original flexon comps and was a Dalbello three piece fanboy for many years, but they always needed a lot of shell work to fit my wide feet. Delta lost my boots last year, and I made a switch to tecnica mach1 lv and I couldn't be happier. Much more powerful and precise fit and I never bottom out the tongue and ankle. I'm not going back to cabrio boots anytime soon

Who has switched from race-type boot to 3-piece?

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    I grew up racing on the original flexon comps and was a Dalbello three piece fanboy for many years, but they always needed a lot of shell work to fit my wide feet. Delta lost my boots last year, and I made a switch to tecnica mach1 lv and I couldn't be happier. Much more powerful and precise fit and I never bottom out the tongue and ankle. I'm not going back to cabrio boots anytime soon
    You have wide feet but went to a low volume boot? Please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by mikdes26 View Post
    The Mach1 medium volume is as big as a house inside and although the width was 100mm, the overall volume was too big. The low volume model needed some serious stretching and punching in my forefoot, but now is money. For reference my foot is 108mm wide at the forefoot, but the rest of my foot and ankle is not wide.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    The Mach1 medium volume is as big as a house inside and although the width was 100mm, the overall volume was too big. The low volume model needed some serious stretching and punching in my forefoot, but now is money. For reference my foot is 108mm wide at the forefoot, but the rest of my foot and ankle is not wide.
    Sounds like a hard foot to fit. Glad you found what works!

I ran FT's pretty damn hard on 122mm waisted skis of the very stiff variety. These skis were mounted dead center and while I went straight a lot I was capable of holding an edge in long gs turns at speed on groomers, as well as ski hard moguls semi decently.

I now ski the same setup with Solly MTN LABS and I can still put those boards on edge at speed.

I don't understand the whole 'can't drive big skis argument'. I will admit that if I try to ski the sollys with a loose cuff I can barely get down the hill, and even at slightly looser than normal I can't go as fast.

I ran my FTs stupid tight too. Maybe if I was a loose booter this lateral stiffness would make more sense to me, IME cuff tightness really increases the stiff factor of a boot.

I just went from old Solly Impact's to a pair of the new Dalbello Krypton AX 120's. The wider last on these new Kryptons allowed me a great fit right out of the box after home baking the Intuition liner. I have a med wide foot with high instep and narrow heel. Have a few days in the Dalbellos now and notice no loss in performance. They drive my Confessions just as well as the Solly's did, maybe better. The heel hold is amazing. Also enjoying warmer feet for the first time in 10 years! The Dalbello has more instep room so my toes no longer go to sleep.
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Quote Originally Posted by mikdes26 View Post
    I also have a wide forefoot - around 104mm, 112mm including large bunion at the first met head - and ski in the Mach 1 130 LV (as well as 97mm Langes and 98mm Atomics). My ankle and heel are normal width and this approach yields a better performing boot provided you can make the forefoot and instep work. You will need to work with the right bootfitter, though, or know how to fix them yourself.