Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Who has switched from race-type boot to 3-piece?

Having trouble finding a good boot fitter in or around Portland, OR, to help me with this. Does anyone have a “go to” person in the area?
    Last edited by mikdes26; 11-16-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikdes26 View Post
    Having trouble finding a good boot fitter in or around Portland, OR, to help me with this. Does anyone have a “go to” person in the area?
    5 or 6 years ago it was hillcrest sport shop out in Gresham. A guy named Greg in particular, iirc.
    "Nothing like a very, very amorous woman in a leg imobilizer who dozes off every 3 1/2 minutes."
    -Notchtop

Quote Originally Posted by Horu View Post
    5 or 6 years ago it was hillcrest sport shop out in Gresham. A guy named Greg in particular, iirc.
    I will say I had the best luck there, though I asked for names of all their fitters and he wasn’t one of them. That’s where I might end up, though. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I did a couple of seasons in KR2 pro's after overlaps only (besides SX90E and SX92 in the 80's and 90's) and liked them ok, but one thing annoyed me. I preferred the most forward shaft lean option and therefore had the large shaft lean wedges installed. Those wedges however did nothing but force the shaft forward into the flex zone, leaving less range of flex motion forward as a result. Am I the only one? That is one reason why I'm back in overlaps now (RX130)

Purely anecdotal observations lead me to state that skiers plagued by perennial shin bang issues often find improved conditions in a three buckle boot.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    ^^^ For lots of skiers, the words "progressive Flex" and "three buckle", go together... ahem...as stated in classic TGR vernacular/prose, like "hookers" and "blow". Yeah, progressive isn't the right term, but it fills in when technology and vocabulary don't meet.
    People call orcas "fish" and the governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands "President" but it's out of ignorance, not lack of adequate vocabulary. In the case of three-piece shells, plenty of people who should know better persist in calling them "progressive" mainly because it sounds cooler and potentially sells better than "linear" or "constant" or "Raichle technology from the 1980's" . . .

I've had overlap boots that had brick wall feeling flex, progressive feeling flex, linear flex and none of the above. I've had cabrio boots that had brick wall feeling flex, linear flex, progressive flex and none of the above. Then I changed from medium density foam liners to thick foam liners and everything changed. The I switched to Intuition wrap liners and everything changed. Added heel wedges and everything changed. Etc....etc.....

Too many variables to make blanket statements, IMO.

Just gotta find the magic combo of boot fit, fit tension, stance angles, liner, and shell that works with an individual binding ramp, ski and mount point on the ski.

Truly a thing of synergy where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Part logic, part science, part voodoo and a whole lot of trial and error.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Purely anecdotal observations lead me to state that skiers plagued by perennial shin bang issues often find improved conditions in a three buckle boot.
    Never have had a problem with that. Honestly I’ve worn the Dalbellos around the house a few times this week and am not sure they’re for me. I remove them and put on my Sollies and it’s just more comfortable, and I don’t just mean “comfort.” The position, height of the boot on my leg, weight, height off the ground.... it just feels best, plus the fit is perfect.

Likely going to return the Dalbellos today, which is a little disappointing because I wanted to like them. What I’ve realized, though, is that if the only thing that is making me consider a change out of my X Max 120 is warmth, then I’m not in such a bad spot, after all. Might try a heater or just re-try those ugly boot gloves I tried last season.

Never have had a problem with that. Honestly I’ve worn the Dalbellos around the house a few times this week and am not sure they’re for me. I remove them and put on my Sollies and it’s just more comfortable, and I don’t just mean “comfort.” The position, height of the boot on my leg, weight, height off the ground.... it just feels best, plus the fit is perfect.

Likely going to return the Dalbellos today, which is a little disappointing because I wanted to like them. What I’ve realized, though, is that if the only thing that is making me consider a change out of my X Max 120 is warmth, then I’m not in such a bad spot, after all. Might try a heater or just re-try those ugly boot gloves I tried last season.

theyre "comfy" cause you're so used to them. Eventually you'll have to switch. No boot last forever, and anything "new" will feel different. You have to stop comparing.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    theyre "comfy" cause you're so used to them. Eventually you'll have to switch. No boot last forever, and anything "new" will feel different. You have to stop comparing.

Good luck.
    I’ve been skiing for 40 years and understand that. I probably only have 50 days in the Salomons, if that even, so I know they have more life. The fit is comfortable but also snug, so it’s not like they’re packed out. I also prefer the stance they provide, and the Lupo doesn’t have a forward lean adjustment.

My next boots will also likely be Sollies just because I seem to have that “Sollie foot” for the X Max, which is long and narrow with a narrow ankle.

Thanks for the input!

I’ve been skiing for 40 years and understand that. I probably only have 50 days in the Salomons, if that even, so I know they have more life. The fit is comfortable but also snug, so it’s not like they’re packed out. I also prefer the stance they provide, and the Lupo doesn’t have a forward lean adjustment.

My next boots will also likely be Sollies just because I seem to have that “Sollie foot” for the X Max, which is long and narrow with a narrow ankle.

Thanks for the input!

maybe a punch in the foot to make them wider? Sounds like you're getting cold fit due to fit possibly. have you been to a bootfitter?

Who has switched from race-type boot to 3-piece?

maybe a punch in the foot to make them wider? Sounds like you're getting cold fit due to fit possibly. have you been to a bootfitter?
    It’s not a fit issue. I have a condition called Raynauds, which is a condition causing occasional reduced blood flow in the fingers and toes. My case is pretty mild, but it still affects me here & there. Honestly the best way for me to control it is to keep my core warm, but good gloves and a way to keep my feet warm are always helpful.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud_syndrome

It’s not a fit issue. I have a condition called Raynauds, which is a condition causing occasional reduced blood flow in the fingers and toes. My case is pretty mild, but it still affects me here & there. Honestly the best way for me to control it is to keep my core warm, but good gloves and a way to keep my feet warm are always helpful.
    Hottronics or similar might be smart. Are you putting your shells on warm? It's much easier to keep a boot warm than to warm up a cold boot. A heated boot bag might be good investment (or put the boots under your floor heaters, if you're cheap). Are you using very thin socks to maximize blood flow to your feet?

My mom has Raynauds, though her fingers are more of an issue than her feet. Like you said, core warmth seems the most important factor.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Hottronics or similar seems smart. Are you using very thin socks to maximize blood flow to your feet? Is your core always warm?
    Thin socks and usually one more layer up top than the average person. There’s a delicate balance there, though, because if I overheat then I sweat and can get chilled. I try to ski hard enough to keep the heart rate up, though, and that also helps. I might try hottronics and have a friend who swears by her Lenz heated socks. Problem with those is the need to wash them and they’re more expensive than the hottronics.

I edited my post after you saw it -- sorry. I realized you had already addressed the core-warmth issue. But now that I've read your reply, you might be a perfect candidate for an insulated shell with pit zips instead of an extra layer -- that way you can vent past all your insulation when you warm up.

But if you don't already start the day with your boots warm, give that a shot before investing in something like hottronics.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I edited my post after you saw it -- sorry. I realized you had already address the core warmth issue.

But give starting with your boots warm a shot before trying hottronics, if you don't already do that.
    Just read the edit...

The Hotronics get such mixed reviews. I have boot gloves and used those on a couple extra cold days. They did ok, but on powder days the snow can pack in between the boot and boot glove. I might invest in a heated boot bag. We shall see.

Like your mom, my hands are more of an issue. I can usually swing them out, though, and once they’re better they seem ok for a while.

Just read the edit...

The Hotronics get such mixed reviews. I have boot gloves and used those on a couple extra cold days. They did ok, but on powder days the snow can pack in between the boot and boot glove. I might invest in a heated boot bag. We shall see.

Like your mom, my hands are more of an issue. I can usually swing them out, though, and once they’re better they seem ok for a while.

Also all my outer layers have put zips.

She's tried a lot of mitts now, and swears by these: https://www.rbhdesigns.com/collectio...nt=33279178820 with the hybrid liner. She says they're warmer than the warmest BD or OR Alti mitt. She only needs to use chemical packs on a few super-cold days now.

re pitt zips, my point was the pit zips bypass the majority of the insulation, as opposed to an outer shell and a midlayer where the vents don't get past the midlayer insulation. Anyway, just something to consider. If you think your insulation and gloves works well, then by all means disregard my suggestions.

photos

She's tried a lot of mitts now, and swears by these: https://www.rbhdesigns.com/collectio...nt=33279178820 with the hybrid liner. She only needs to use chemical packs on a few super-cold days now.
    Nice! I have some super ugly Black Diamond mitts that were almost too warm on a single-digit day last year. SUPER warm... like almost too warm.

My glove collection is embarrassing. I could have a garage sale with nothing but gloves and shoes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud_syndrome

gotcha ive heard of it...sorry for the assumption.

I tried various Dalbellos for a stretch of about 5 years, now back to Langes. Conclusions:

1) Warmth is 95% irrelevant to the issue of shell design; it's about the liner. Intuition's work in 2 piece or 3 piece boots.

2) 3 piece boots absorb terrain better and lock down the ankle while doing it.Thus, you see them a lot on freestylers, powder freaks, and guys who like air; anyone who can get knocked into the backseat. Also guys with skinny ankles.

3) 2 piece boots still give more precise pressure, flex feels more progressive, and are quicker to move force from leg to edges; they feel more natural for guys who like to apply forward pressure. Thus, you see them almost always on racers, and often on big mountain chargers who need to get on and off their edges efficiently as conditions change.

4) The upright stance argument is old news; most 2 piece boots are more upright also. Just a change in mechanics and style over the last decade.

Conclusion: Both are great. Depends on your mission and style.

gotcha ive heard of it...sorry for the assumption.
    No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    I tried various Dalbellos for a stretch of about 5 years, now back to Langes. Conclusions:

1) Warmth is 95% irrelevant to the issue of shell design; it's about the liner. Intuition's work in 2 piece or 3 piece boots.

Conclusion: Both are great. Depends on your mission and style.
    Leaning now toward maybe going the intuition route.

Leaning now toward maybe going the intuition route.

If you're annoyed with snow getting in the gusset, see if you can find some old Salomon Ghosts. May solve the issue?

Just theorizing based off the design.

Just read the edit...

I have the SIDAS boot heaters and wondered why I ever waited so long, money well spent for anyone who gets cold feet IMO