Thread: Lake kayak

Lake kayak

I'm looking to get a lake oriented kayak (likely used) and am just starting to research. What length should I be looking at for a single? Any other things I should know about to evaluate options? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I'm looking to get a lake oriented kayak (likely used) and am just starting to research. What length should I be looking at for a single? Any other things I should know about to evaluate options? Thanks.
    Winderness Systems Pungo 120 12 foot is an excellent timeless lake kayak. For large lakes I'd highly recommend the Pungo 140 14 foot. There should be plenty out there used. New the price is very palatable IMO.

what do you want to do with it, How do you plan to transport it, how big are you
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The Pungo 120 looks good.

Planning on using it in ponds and smaller lakes, not huge ones. Probably transport it on my roof with a Thule rack. I'm 6'-4".

Probably anything will do you then, the shorter boats (12 ft is on the short side) are slower the longer boats (17) are faster carry & more stuff

Plastic rec boats or full on seakayaks are all 50-60 lbs but you are big enough to handle it ... just make sure you fit

The Pungo 120 looks good.

Planning on using it in ponds and smaller lakes, not huge ones. Probably transport it on my roof with a Thule rack. I'm 6'-4".
    Yup Pungo 120 would be an excellent choice for your purpose. Nice wide open cockpit, easy to fish out of if that's your thing. Or bring a small-medium sized dog. 350 pound weight capacity and under 50 pounds I'm pretty sure.

You still shilling for ems?

Yup Pungo 12 is a good choice. Have one, use it and like it. That said, for pond fishing i find myself more often grabbing a little pos 10 footer that a buddy gave me. Easy to throw on or in an SUV. Easy to carry longer distances. Feels like fishing in a bathtub at first but I like it in a minimalist way. FWIW I’m 6’3”.
    That Don't Make No Sense

Pungo 120 is a great choice. I have one. I'm able to cram my 85 lb mutt in with me so you should have plenty of room.

Is there a place online to find used kayaks other than craigslist?

Thank you. Is there a difference between a fishing kayak and just a touring (lake) kayak? Is it storage?

yer looking at speed/ load capacity/ seaworthiness of a full on touring kayak vs ease of handling & stability of a day touring or fishing kayak

speed is a product of length, I use a full on 17+ ft touring boat which is pretty fast, I can carry a month food & supplies, I got WW kayaks as well

A full on touring Kayak in plastic weighs 60 lb which is the limit of what I can handle to load on a truck while a rec boat will be 50 lbs

https://www.neckykayaks.com/kayaks/

Basicly ^^ you got Day touring boats , rec boats, touring seakayaks depending on your needs

i think fishing kayaks are lumped in with day touring by virtue of the length

I'm looking for something basic...likely lumped in the fishing or rec category. This would be used in small lakes in Colorado, not long, enormous expanses of water in MN or ME.

You’re in Colorado? Try CKS, Colorado Kayak Supply. They sell all kinds of kayaks and would be glad to answer any questions you have. At least the people in the store in Buena Vista were really friendly when I went in there some years ago. I think there is also a store in the Denver area, and maybe other places too. They do sell used kayaks, when available, and they also have an online presence.

Fishing kayaks come rigged fishing, which can include multiple rod holders, tackle storage, anchor systems, fish finder mounts, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm looking for something basic...likely lumped in the fishing or rec category. This would be used in small lakes in Colorado, not long, enormous expanses of water in MN or ME.
    Pungo or something similar in the 10-12 foot range. Bass Pro, Cabelas or Dicks will have options at lower price points (and quality).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Personaly i like the necky Manitou series in the rec boat Category and I wouldnt go any smaller

they even look like a real kayak

Thanks!

I have a 9'8 Emotion Glide. General sit in rec kayak. I paddle it around Donner Lake, which gets some big wind and waves. Tracks surprisingly well for a short boat, stable enough for fishing although not rigged for it. A very simple basic boat. I'm only 6 ft but I have very long legs and have room to spare. The biggest drawback is that the rear deck and seat back is as high as the forward deck, which makes wearing a PFD uncomfortable, but then I don't usually wear one. I got the boat because it's light at 38# or so--my back is shot, and it's cheap enough you don't need to look for used. Although CL is always full of kayaks around here. If you're looking for a serious kayak I can't help you. But for what you are planning to use it for a smaller rec kayak should be all you really need. Unless the fish in Colorado are bigger than I think, in which case
    Last edited by old goat; 11-18-2017 at 06:19 PM.

If talking about long flatwater boats for touring, strongly suggest getting a model with a rudder that steers by footpegs, you'll appreciate the advantage when bucking crosswinds or when your paddling form gets lopsided. They also work in a way similar to bow thrusters, to help you swing the boat around in tight spots.

I paddled whitewater for a few years but have done touring kayaks only 2x. Those 2x were within the same few days and for one day I had the rudder, for the other none. The rudder was a winner for me, for the reasons I said above.

IMO when you need a rudder you don't want compromise but I don't use it much cuz its a drag (Literaly) and slows the boat down ... steer by tilting the hull

some people like the drop down skegs but I seen them get jammed up with sand also the skeg box robs cargo room from the inside of the boat

you won't find rudders on rec boats

maybe on some of the longer day touring boats
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-18-2017 at 08:15 PM.