Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Word. There are often some great people who work at ski mountains. Patrollers, some mountain manager types, etc. But often the folks who end up in middle management and even GMs are the powerhungry, brown-nosing dipshits who managed not to move on to something better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Sounds like assholes being assholes. There are good and bad peeps all over the mountain including middle management. Most shop rats are good guys, a few are dicks, most middle management are good guys a few are dicks, most ski executives are dicks, a few are good guys. Pretty much like life everywhere.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

^^^ Fair. I dunno. Maybe it's because so many of my formative years were spent around ski areas, it just seemed to me there were a higher proportion of upward failers than other places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    This happened at the tuning and repair center upstairs and not downstairs at Gravity Sports, right? I couldn't see the Gravity Sports guys/gals taking part in this tomfoolery, but have no experience with the crew upstairs.
    IMO could have happened at most any place on the mountain (or most any ski area).

The other side of the story--the kid was probably giving them attitude, not respectful of authority, maybe long hair, face gaiter, tall T, pants around his knees, obviously guilty of something. In other words, a normal teenager.

Bachelor's “... we apologize again that the computer system mistakenly flagged the pair of re-sold skis as stolen.” is a pretty weak apology. It was a computer's fault? Oh please... I'd like to see them back that up with facts.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Sounds like assholes being assholes. There are good and bad peeps all over the mountain including middle management. Most shop rats are good guys, a few are dicks, most middle management are good guys a few are dicks, most ski executives are dicks, a few are good guys. Pretty much like life everywhere.
    Why is it that a higher percentage of executives are dicks?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Why is it that a higher percentage of executives are dicks?
    ]
    It is generally regarded that you have to be a bulldozer to get into upper levels of business. In my younger more wild daze, I worked for a property mgmt company that had many JH glitterati on the client list- filled with Fortune 500 CEOs and Forbes 400 rat pack. Upon closer inspection their lives were filled with family and personal wreckage as they sacrificed all for $.

There were a few exceptions, but not many.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Did the kid get to go skiing?

Most resorts toss out or destroy their rental skis. They may pull bindings to re-use, but it's not a good business model to sell rental skis for nothing and flood the local market.

Okay, I completely agree the family was wronged, and should get something. BUT A HUNNERT AND TWENTY NINE GRAND? Fuck off. A free family season's pass? That sounds good, and maybe some meal vouchers in there too. They needed counseling because of this? Holy fuck, these people should just walk onto the freeway and kill themselves because they're too delicate to live. What sort of fuckin' country you guys have down there when every time anyone at all is even slightly fucked over they figure they deserve a lottery win?

The hill is completely in the wrong, yup, but the payout should match the ACTUAL "pain and suffering" involved. Having to hang out and wait for the cops isn't like you spent a year in the gulag for fuck sakes.

^^^ It’s now $766,000. What the fuck?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bendb...chelor%3famp=1

Calm down

Here is a copy of the complaint: http://media.oregonlive.com/portland....skis.suit.pdf

It's a stretch to interpret the complaint as seeking "up to $766,000." The author of that article is quite obviously not an attorney so I'll give him a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by johngenx View Post
    Okay, I completely agree the family was wronged, and should get something. BUT A HUNNERT AND TWENTY NINE GRAND? Fuck off. A free family season's pass? That sounds good, and maybe some meal vouchers in there too. They needed counseling because of this? Holy fuck, these people should just walk onto the freeway and kill themselves because they're too delicate to live. What sort of fuckin' country you guys have down there when every time anyone at all is even slightly fucked over they figure they deserve a lottery win?

The hill is completely in the wrong, yup, but the payout should match the ACTUAL "pain and suffering" involved. Having to hang out and wait for the cops isn't like you spent a year in the gulag for fuck sakes.
    I'd want to know some facts before deciding. For ex, what if the resort refused to apologize after and offered them nothing, or maybe a free ski rental? If they asked for a free season pass and were told to fuck off? Would trying to bend over the resort at that point be ok? I'd say so. If it went down that way. :shrug: but otherwise kinda agree.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Pretty fucking stupid on the resorts part

defamation of character, emotional stress, wrongful all kinds of shit

this will be settled out of court, it will go away and

we will never know what the Plaintiff got
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Compare the famous McDonald's scalding coffee case.

The myth propounded by the insurance industry:
    The plaintiff was a greedy pig.

The facts: A McDonald's franchise served scalding coffee per McDonald's instructions to serve at 180-190F, which is dangerously hot. McDonald's had received numerous complaints about it but did nothing to change its policy.
    The victim, who suffered third degree burns, offered to settle for $20,000 to cover her medical costs. McDonald's (and/or it's CGL insurance carrier) counteroffered with $800, which is the equivalent of saying fuck off.
    The jury, after hearing the evidence and being charged with jury instructions re the law, was so pissed off at McDonald's that it is awarded $2.9 million in punitive damages.
    The court reduced the verdict to $640,000
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 11-16-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Killington paid out $750,000 to a woman who got trapped in the gondi from 3pm till 8pm. That's $150k per hour inconvenienced. And nobody called her a liar & thief in front of God and everybody
    https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...dola-for-hours
    By that measure, the family is being quite reasonable...

Too late for reasonable compromises - lawyers are involved now.

And the beer
    Best not fuck with the price of nachos though...

I wonder if the receipt has the serial numbers on it.

Now it is $766,000???!!!

I'm leaning towards this sentiment.

the ol' blame the victim play, eh?

you're obviously not very familiar with the American Legal System. you always shoot for the stars! 'MERICA!

Like I said before, demand in the complaint is fairly irrelevant. Claim's worth $50-75k, IMO--based on the facts we have. POWDR should take an offer in that range and run. Once you start taking depositions, serving motions, etc. shit gets way more expensive than that. Fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    the ol' blame the victim play, eh?
    Nah, not at all. I totally feel for them and it certainly sucks given the information provided. Totally sucks. I just have a hard time thinking this situation is worthy of that kind compensation/damages. Easy to sit back and armchair, but here we are. Too bad the mountain didn't make it right straight away. Now everybody loses.

Oh, okay. Your claim to be "leaning towards [the] sentiment . . . 'Holy fuck, these people should just walk onto the freeway and kill themselves because they're too delicate to live'" threw me off a bit.

If I was the family, I'd forget the cash and ask for lifetime family passes to all Powdr resorts (not sure which ones they own). Would be no harm to the corp and a big benefit to a family of skiers. Win/Win