Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scarpa Alien RS

Scarpa Alien RS

Don't see a thread about the RS yet, any firsthand experience? Nice to see ultralight boots coming on the market that don't have rando-racing forward lean.

I skied a pair from Feb to June of last year. I've commented a bit on it in the lightweight boots thread. Couple of tweaks to the production boot, all for the better. For me, it's the best mountaineering boot I've used. Skis really well. Walks amazing. Ski performance is better than an alien 1.0, almost as good as an F1. Eventually, the narrower width compared to A1.0 and F1 got to me, and I'll be sizing up on my pair this year. I think it's a perfect boot for light skis in the 80-100mm waist range. It can be skied remarkably hard.

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    I skied a pair from Feb to June of last year. I've commented a bit on it in the lightweight boots thread. Couple of tweaks to the production boot, all for the better. For me, it's the best mountaineering boot I've used. Skis really well. Walks amazing. Ski performance is better than an alien 1.0, almost as good as an F1. Eventually, the narrower width compared to A1.0 and F1 got to me, and I'll be sizing up on my pair this year. I think it's a perfect boot for light skis in the 80-100mm waist range. It can be skied remarkably hard.
    +1

So far, this early season the boot has been driving a 106 waisted Carbon Convert in powder. No problems there. Fun as fuck. And manageable when things turned to glop/crust at valley level for the exit. Right about there you can tell it's a little light boot driving a ski with some surface area, but not too bad. It's probably as wide as I'll go for the boot. It's going to be superb driving a mid-80s ski, I can tell.

I'll also add, especially given the number of words spilled about the new Dynafit/Hoji boot & its easy transitions - switching back&forth between ski & walk mode is remarkably fluid and easy. The simple forefoot boa adjustment just adds to the satisfaction. So easy to use. Not much time or thinking involved.

It's a light boot, so long term durability is yet to be determined. But, Scarpa has been at it for a while, and just like the incremental improvements to the Maestrale, the Alien has been through some testing and refinements. It shows, and instills some confidence. It's far from being some out-of-the-blue design relying on 1st year paying customers as beta testers. My impressions, at least.

There has been some mention (skimo.co , and elsewhere) re Scarpa setting ski-width limits for its boots as some sort of warranty-limiting thing.

Question from abp
    Where do you think Scarpa derived their 85mm waist cutoff recommendation? Is it because they're worried they'll start seeing failures from the torque of wider skis or do they just think it's not enough boot to push a wider ski around?

10/27/2017 Answer from jbo
    Hi abp, the new guidelines aren't specific to this boot, but rather something SCARPA is doing with all their boots to limit warranty liability. The Maestrale and F1 are now indicated to 95mm underfoot despite many skiers having already proved they are more capable than that. Maestrale RS is <=110 for what it's worth.
    anyone else know more about this?

That 110mm "restriction" for the Maestrale RS is bonkers.

might be worth a separate thread.

& oh yeah, the adjustable forward lean is great. I like my touring boots upright, and there's 3-4 (easily adjusted) lean levels. Don't know the exact degrees, but the most upright position is sweet.

Eventually, the narrower width compared to A1.0 and F1 got to me
    Ouch. My feet hurt just thinking about it. Can you punch the new carbon-infused plastic for width?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Ouch. My feet hurt just thinking about it. Can you punch the new carbon-infused plastic for width?
    I had Bob (who used to work out of Neptune Mountaineering, but since moved) punch mine for length. It was the first he'd seen of the plastic, so I think he was conservative with the heat. It seemed more like material was rearranged (i.e. they got a bit longer, but also even narrower, generally staying the same wall-thickness) rather than classically stretched. I think the working temperature window will be narrower than for less-reinforced plastics, but it should still be possible.

I had Bob (who used to work out of Neptune Mountaineering, but since moved) punch mine for length. It was the first he'd seen of the plastic, so I think he was conservative with the heat. It seemed more like material was rearranged (i.e. they got a bit longer, but also even narrower, generally staying the same wall-thickness) rather than classically stretched. I think the working temperature window will be narrower than for less-reinforced plastics, but it should still be possible.
    Thanks for the beta. Know of anywhere in the Denver/Boulder area that carries them? Been eyeing these for a while, but I haven't found anywhere to try them on.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I think the 1st shipment in popular sizes sold out a few places, but afaik more should be around in a week or so. I’m not sure on the specific shops though.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Thanks for the beta. Know of anywhere in the Denver/Boulder area that carries them? Been eyeing these for a while, but I haven't found anywhere to try them on.
    WildyX had a few sizes earlier this Fall - not sure of the current status. Scarpa told me mid to late November for another shipment.

Just received my pair, impressive. Fits and feels great carpet testing, I was worried they'd be softer than they actually are. 932g for a 27. For those who typically need shell work, there is a hang tag on the boot saying any thermal shell modification voids the warranty.

Regarding Kingpin / Tecton compatibility, the heel lug shelf is just as deep as an alpine boot (more narrow though), so it should be good to go.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 11-15-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Skiing a kingpin with an Alien RS should be grounds for execution.

Lol, just a matter of time before someone asked. I can't claim innocence though, these might see time on Helio 116. Feels like they might have enough backbone to pull off meadow skipping on fatties.

Skiing a kingpin with an Alien RS should be grounds for execution.
    yeah that sounds insane to me also lol.

I know I could/should just drive down to skimoco and try on a pair but can anyone comment on the fit compared to eg a TLT6?

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    yeah that sounds insane to me also lol.

I know I could/should just drive down to skimoco and try on a pair but can anyone comment on the fit compared to eg a TLT6?
    More room over the instep than a TLT6.

I have a really high instep, and have no issue with this shell. Probably thanks to the open top and boa closure, which hopefully adjusts down to fit a low instep as well.

My two cents, after about 15 days in them. They are unbelievable, an impossible miracle. Out of the box fit was perfect for me, all day comfort without any hotspots, best range of motion and weight imaginable, really warm because of the lack of cuff restriction, and they really, honestly charge. Whereas most superlight boots I've been in basically relegate you to backseat skiing, the RS actually discourages being in the backseat; it really likes to be driven with an aggressive stance. If you're getting into this class of boot, you should obviously be aware of the limitations in funky, variable snow, but even there I've been impressed, just skied out a sketchball luge track in breakable crust, in the dark, with a 40lb hut pack with no reservations. I'm a fairly big dude, 6 foot and 200+lbs, and I've been cruising full confidence, even dropping the occasional little cliff. So, so impressed. The Alien RS is in a class of its own as far as i'm concerned.

^ what skis you been skiing with em?

Has anyone found a bsl chart for these or have a 25.5(guessing the same as 26)? I have d fit ssl’s. It’d be nice to not remount if they’re the same bsl as my tlt6’s. They sound like a good fit for me

skimo.co has one, https://skimo.co/scarpa-alien-rs looks like the 26 is 286

These are on my list with the Fischer Travers Carbon, (and maybe the Salomon S/Lab X-Alp). Anybody handled both? After reading and watching reviews, the Fischer look/seem more durable.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

skimo.co has one, https://skimo.co/scarpa-alien-rs looks like the 26 is 286
    Thanks M. I’m finding a lot of ways to justify these

^ what skis you been skiing with em?
    Dynastar Mythic 97 in a 177 and Blizzard zero G 85 in a 171. I really see no reason why you couldn't go beefier in soft conditions, though I'd imagine some ankle rolling on sidehills based on how loose and soft the cuff is in tour mode.

Quote Originally Posted by abp View Post
    Dynastar Mythic 97 in a 177 and Blizzard zero G 85 in a 171. I really see no reason why you couldn't go beefier in soft conditions, though I'd imagine some ankle rolling on sidehills based on how loose and soft the cuff is in tour mode.
    badass. like grinch, I’m gonna find a way to make this seem like a reasonable purchase lol

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Has anyone found a bsl chart for these or have a 25.5(guessing the same as 26)? I have d fit ssl’s. It’d be nice to not remount if they’re the same bsl as my tlt6’s. They sound like a good fit for me
    My 26.5/27 pair has a 296mm bsl. I sized up to ensure toe room (feet are exactly 26cm long) and carpet testing it feels like a good move. Haven't molded the liners yet, but so far the boots feel very low volume, and the liners are so thin they can't pack out much.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    These are on my list with the Fischer Travers Carbon, (and maybe the Salomon S/Lab X-Alp). Anybody handled both? After reading and watching reviews, the Fischer look/seem more durable.
    I've handled and tried on both (27.5), but never skied either. I really liked the S/Lab overall, but the sole is really thin, not sure how durable it will be. The walk mode is incredible, but the switch takes a bit of force to put back in ski mode. Fits like the typical Salomon boots in my opinion (low-ish instep), but with a wider toebox. I don't love where Solly positions the instep buckle on all their models.

I didn't like the Fischer liner very much, it just felt low quality. The walk mode is also really good, but not quite as good as the Solly in my opinion. I thought the sole looked awesome and durable. It's plastic sole bits bonded to a carbon fiber sole. What I didn't like is that there is a gap behind the boot between the lower shell and upper cuff. As for fit, the wire dial is awesome as to be expected. It also has more instep and toe room than the Solly. I also thought the heel hold was poor in comparison though, but that may be due to the liner. Overall the shell feels more bomber on the Solly, but I liked the Fischer sole better.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    My 26.5/27 pair has a 296mm bsl. I sized up to ensure toe room (feet are exactly 26cm long) and carpet testing it feels like a good move. Haven't molded the liners yet, but so far the boots feel very low volume, and the liners are so thin they can't pack out much.
    I had to punch my tlt6’s a few times. About 3 inches along the outside of my foot. They fit like a glove now , which is one reason I’m hesitant to look elsewhere but the rs sounds like an improvement everywhere and scarpa quality. I wonder how they’ll punch. I’m assuming I’d have to punch them a bit