Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Kingpin charging

Riding into the season on non-super 189 BG's, picked explicitly for their crud-charging prowess.
    To simplify life (and to add some 'bling', as the kids say) I picked up a pair of Kingpins for a song on Snowinn (yes it's a sketch site, yes they only ran me $370)
    I have a pair of Dyna Radicals sitting in my basement waiting for a rainy day, which I consciously passed on mounting, wary of their release properties. Specifically, forward release has me sketched. I understand Kingpins address this issue, but are no replacement for a frame binding a la Duke.

Am I an idiot? Should I swallow my pride and pick up a pair of used Dukes from my retarded cousin, Beelo? Or risk life & limb for the sake of vanity?

Beta on charging on Kingpin 10's without either double ejecting or breaking yourself?

Angle Parking is a crazy fucker and he has been skiing pretty hard on King pins cranked to 11, I got another bud who is +220 6'5" and they are both using them as their only ski ... seem pretty happy

of course it depends on how hard you ski?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If you're OK with the charging ability of a DIN 10 binding and AT boots inbounds, then Kingpins are probably fine.

That said I personally would not mount a Kingpin on a 189 BG, mostly because I'd rather ski real alpine boots and bindings inbounds and I'd rather tour on something lighter.

I put Kingpins on 193 Shiros for touring with no issues. I am switching to CAST cause my knees have been aching.

I was going to put a kingpin on a pair of 4frnt kye 110 (188cm) but I decided to put cast on them instead because I’m young, dumb, and like my pivots.

I feel like the kingpin is one of the best pin bindings to charge on but it’ll never be as good as an alpine binding.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Most of my experience is on pivots and sally sth and sth2, but I have a dozen days on kingpin 13s. I also have a new pair of 189 goats, and I would definitely not run the kingpins on them. The goats are pretty heavy to tour on and are under-gunned on variable snow with kingpins on them.

The kingpins are probably the best skiing of the tech bindings but that toe definitely feels rigid and nowhere near as solid as a good alpine binding. The toe has zero lateral release other than the boot shearing out of the pins.

Alright, alright, you've convinced me.

Thinking Dynaduke plates vs Quiver Killer: Frame binding for in-bounds stupidity, Radicals for sidecountry meadowskipping, and my trusty beat-up backcountry's get a shiny pair of golden bindings... In other news, anyone holding large post-EPF dukes?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    To simplify life (and to add some 'bling', as the kids say) I picked up a pair of Kingpins for a song on Snowinn (yes it's a sketch site, yes they only ran me $370)
    Snowinn isn't sketch at all. They're a huge Euro distributor. Their prices are so good cause the Euro is in the toilet right now against the dollar. I don't have any good advice for you though. I'll leave that to smarter mags.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWetNoodle View Post

I feel like the kingpin is one of the best pin bindings to charge on but it’ll never be as good as an alpine binding.

Boom
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Pin bindings should not be used for daily resort charging.
    "Wrong tool for the job", really.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Can the Kingpins do well on your BGs? Yep.

Will the Kingpins work for everyday resort charging? Sure.

Will they break after a season or three doing that? Maybe. There are plenty of examples pointing in either direction.

Will they feel as nice on hardback as a set of Pivots or something similar? Nope.

It’s all about personal risk assessment.

Will they fuck up your knee or tib/fib if you run out of luck? Hell yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Will they fuck up your knee or tib/fib if you run out of luck? Hell yeah.
    Personal experience?

I think whether you will break AT bindings at a hill depends on the prevailing type of snow conditions, up at the local hill I still see a lot of people still skiing Ramers/ Titanal 2 / 3 / all versions of FR+/ naxo and all the tech bindings BUT the snow is usually pretty soft
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks god no. Had a nice tumble with a Beast, though. The skis stayed all the way down on. Dumb luck nothing happened. Since then I‘m shifting one gear down when not on an alpine binding. Now I’m on the Kingpins for touring and trust the rigid toe even less.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Personal experience?
    Probably came close to a tib/fib with tech toe bindings 2 years ago. Was off skis for a couple months from a real nasty ankle sprain. I stick to Vipecs when charging as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Probably came close to a tib/fib with tech toe bindings 2 years ago. Was off skis for a couple months from a real nasty ankle sprain. I stick to Vipecs when charging as a result.
    Paging creekyfossil for analysis of this situation.

New CAST on your BG’s for charging and those kp’s on “slowroastin’s” steeple 108’s would civer the touring charge quiver
    FS - ON3P Steeple 108
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=315462

Sammy C has been killin’ it with Kingpins on his Armadas & Salomon Mtn lab boots in soft snow the last 2seasons. Look at his segment in Rouge Elements & his edits from last season.
    I don’t think Kingpins will hold up to the vibrations of everyday resort hard snow over time. Just my .02.
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

Why will the kingpins break your tib-fib? If you ski them with your toes unlocked and your heel releases they should pop off?

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Why will the kingpins break your tib-fib? If you ski them with your toes unlocked and your heel releases they should pop off?

Possibly? It's a product of having the lateral release at the heel and not the toe. It all depends on the particular kind of fall / force on skis.

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post

Lateral release at the heel is biased toward protecting your ACL, at the expense of higher tib/fib risk.

The reverse is true for lateral release at the toe (better tib/fib protection at the expense of higher ACL risk).

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Kingpin charging

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Lateral release at the heel is biased toward protecting your ACL, at the expense of higher tib/fib risk.

The reverse is true for lateral release at the toe (better tib/fib protection at the expense of higher ACL risk).

... Thom
    This. If you ski with good form, and stay forward, tibfib should be you concern. If you get backseat, ACL should be your concern.

Its pretty easy to illustrate the tibfib issue with tech bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by ARpowhound View Post
    Sammy C has been killin’ it with Kingpins on his Armadas & Salomon Mtn lab boots in soft snow the last 2seasons. Look at his segment in Rouge Elements & his edits from last season.
    I don’t think Kingpins will hold up to the vibrations of everyday resort hard snow over time. Just my .02.
    How much does Sammy C weigh?

I've been sort of A/B testing the feel of Kingpin 13s compared to P18s this early season. I have 10 days touring on 193 Volkl Shiros, with Kingpin 13s and Lange 130 XT Freetours, and 2 days inbounds on a differently year pair of 193 Volkl Shiros with P18s and Lange RS 140s. I'm averaging 2-3k feet of downhill pow on the touring days (with associated walking up hill), and more runs then I can count inbounds at Crystal Mt on this past Thursday and Friday (all soft snow, varying in softness and density since it is the PNW).

Me: 32, 6ft 4in, 200 with out gear, tends to keep my feet on the ground but am comfortable with up to 10 ft drops

I've been getting back from touring and my knees ache, it's a soreness below the knee cap in the front of the knee. I initially noticed it after the 3rd or 4th day touring, and started paying attention to if it appeared on the skin track or after skiing. It definitely is slightly prevalent when we finish skinning, but not to the point where I'm forced to sit down, as it is after skiing. I initially thought it might be due to the skin tracks being off camber combined with wide skis (119mm) introducing a torque on my knee, but I didn't notice it on the way up.

On the other hand, I did not feel any of the similar soreness or pain in my knees during or after 2 days charging around Crystal on Shiros with P18s. My knees felt fine, my legs on the other hand were screaming 'wtf slow down you asshole, it's only November!' Haha

I did spend a month only skiing Kingpins mounted to 193 Blizzard Scouts and Dynafit TLT6Ps a few March's ago, and I don't recall any of the similar knee pain. I'm curious as to if it's due to the softer boot, or my legs being in late spring condition, not early fall condition.

Now this is just my very rudimentary experiment. I am going to pay closer attention to how my knees feel as the season goes on. If the knee pain doesn't go away as my legs get stronger over the winter, there may very well be 2 sets of Kingpins for sale on here.

In summary, I ski hard and I don't recommend the Kingpin for charging. I sort of forget how this started, but if you want one ski to charge inbounds and tour on, get Dukes or CAST.