Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    recommendations on clearing?
    Ive never had any problems or early release when skiing, but while skinning over the weekend, the air was cold but the snow was heavy and very wet, and I had a weird release that I felt was related to ice stuck in pin holes maybe.
    No tools needed but before stepping in work the toe piece by clicking the toe wings together with thumb and forefinger half a dozen times to get the smoo out from under springs

If you don't do it ^^ before you park the skis outside things can be really froze up under there in the AM

step into the toe only, move the ski back and forth 3 or more times so the little grooves on the pins can scour out the ice in the pin holes

you have to do it every single time before you step in

thats all I ever do
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    No tools needed but before stepping in work the toe piece by clicking the toe wings together with thumb and forefinger half a dozen times to get the smoo out from under springs

If you don't do it ^^ before you park the skis outside things can be really froze up under there in the AM

step into the toe only, move the ski back and forth 3 or more times so the little grooves on the pins can scour out the ice in the pin holes

you have to do it every single time before you step in

thats all I ever do
    This. Give the ski a bang from under the base when you take it off too, this works well for me to jar any build up loose, then a couple cycles takes care of the rest 99% of the time. I always have a multi-tool/knife with me for other reasons so the other 1% of the time, this can be used if needed. Carrying a specific specialty tool for clearing bindings seems OTT.

i had read this somewhere and forgotten about it. reckon its why i had issues that day.

thanks for the tips everyone.

called marker about my pin breaking and they sent me two toes. they came in today and are obviously used. not mad they sent me used toes, however, I was wondering if anybody knew a way to tell what generation they are and if they're from the same batch as my old ones that failed. any ideas?

They warrantied your binders with used toes? Wtf

Quote Originally Posted by camlax View Post
    called marker about my pin breaking and they sent me two toes. they came in today and are obviously used. not mad they sent me used toes, however, I was wondering if anybody knew a way to tell what generation they are and if they're from the same batch as my old ones that failed. any ideas?
    What the fuck nonsense is this???

Lou's your huckleberry

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    wow thats better than i hoped for! thanks!

... and it looks like they sent me the same generation toes as the ones with the issue... thanks marker, i think i'll go back to dynafit
    Last edited by camlax; 02-17-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Kingpin charging

If you liked kingpins but don’t trust them don’t rule out the tectons. Same solid heel feeling with a better toe.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    If you liked kingpins but don’t trust them don’t rule out the tectons. Same solid heel feeling with a better toe.
    I'm curious about Tectons vs Shift

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Warranty with used shit? Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

FWIW, 205# and 35 or so days on KP’s. One ice up issue, that could have easily not been a binding issue. I always ski a different brand for days with chair riding. Im sure the shift is awesome but the KPs aren’t all bad. Carry on.

At the very least sounds like a PR bloodbath waiting to happen.

Camlax: pics of "new to you" "warrantied" toe pieces? I need to see this shit. Did they cone direct from marker or is this a shop that's fucking you over? I would be more pissed off than a hornets nest full of rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by powcom View Post
    FWIW, 205# and 35 or so days on KP’s. One ice up issue, that could have easily not been a binding issue. I always ski a different brand for days with chair riding. Im sure the shift is awesome but the KPs aren’t all bad. Carry on.
    I can't even begin to count the number of Kingpins I have seen at Meadows the last few months.

Yesterday, I probably saw a dozen. While this is clearly an anecdotal evidence thing, I'd guess I see more kingpins than all other tech bindings combined. While that doesn't minimize any of the failures, it shows that there are a lot of them in the field, and getting skied a lot harder in-resort than they likely would in the back-country.

[Heck, I'm surprised at how many artisinal, hand-crafted, sustainably-grown tele skiiers I'm seeing these days. I left the fold a few years ago, and thought I was practically the last schmo on tele. But they've suddenly come out of the woods!]

Anyway - I see a lot of KP's getting pushed pretty hard. It seems a few failures isn't that difficult to envision.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    I can't even begin to count the number of Kingpins I have seen at Meadows the last few months.

Yesterday, I probably saw a dozen. While this is clearly an anecdotal evidence thing, I'd guess I see more kingpins than all other tech bindings combined. While that doesn't minimize any of the failures, it shows that there are a lot of them in the field, and getting skied a lot harder in-resort than they likely would in the back-country.

[Heck, I'm surprised at how many artisinal, hand-crafted, sustainably-grown tele skiiers I'm seeing these days. I left the fold a few years ago, and thought I was practically the last schmo on tele. But they've suddenly come out of the woods!]

Anyway - I see a lot of KP's getting pushed pretty hard. It seems a few failures isn't that difficult to envision.
    It's where they are failing that's a bit concerning. No way to really visually inspect the inside of a pin.

^^^ Yeah I get that. Still, I'm surprised at how many I see. And they're being skied in the resort, pretty hard. As noted up-thread a tiny fraction of a percent of a super large number is still a pretty large number. [Not that helps much when you take a ride into the 'shrund, or something, eh?]

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    At the very least sounds like a PR bloodbath waiting to happen.

Camlax: pics of "new to you" "warrantied" toe pieces? I need to see this shit. Did they cone direct from marker or is this a shop that's fucking you over? I would be more pissed off than a hornets nest full of rocks.
    direct from marker. old in rear, new in front. both have the old pressed in pin toe.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0926.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	224911

Completely unacceptable to get used binders as a warranty replacement. I cannot even fathom how this could be allowed to happen.

direct from marker. old in rear, new in front. both have the old pressed in pin toe.

That's bs. As an aside, AFAIK those aren't the old pins that fell out. To my knowledge, the pins that fell out had the outside sit flush with the toe wing. Those appear to be the new kind that have the pins that shear instead of falling out.

I'd call marker and tell them to get fucked on the "new to you" toe pieces. Since when did big companies start being run by gypsies? That's completely unacceptable. What was the line they gave you as to why they weren't going to replace them with brand new bits as they should? Mine were replaced one at a time as they failed, but both times with NIB toe pieces.

Kingpin charging

I’ve been skiing dynafits for 15 or 16 years. I can’t remember any, as in zero, toe pins shearing off(including locked out toes hucking).Marker fix your shit before someone gets hurt

Just a WAG but after a few glasses of wine I had the idea that maybe they are pressing new pins into the toe pieces that were sent back?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Just a WAG but after a few glasses of wine I had the idea that maybe they are pressing new pins into the toe pieces that were sent back?
    Maybe replacing the entire bad gold wing? one looks less marked up than the others.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Holy crap those look very used...I can't believe those were sent.

If they're sending refurbished toes, I'd be hugely concerned about the side that hadn't broken and been replaced and would consider asking for the ndt papers for whatever test they'd deemed suitable to call the binding safe.

The theory posited that they're replacing the damaged wing might hold water. My wings were both undamaged when the pin failed but then sustained not insignificant damage when I had to clamp them to my boot to egress the areas where the binding left me stranded. Also not sure how easy it would be to just replace the pin, perhaps once it's pressed there's no repressing a new pin.

And what the hell is that polished metal piece under one of the mounting screws on the left unit?

Used warranty replacement. Refurbished or otherwise, that's just not okay.