Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AyoBeng View Post
    I was reading up on the old Salomon toe insert failure from years back and in the Wild Snow writeup they were able to recreate the failure in a bench test. Has anybody tried this? I know that the incentive to purposely try to break your shit is low but it could be telling.
    the salomon toe piece looked the kid in the mail room designed it ... was incredibly bad engineering
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    What boots are people in when the toe pins break? It’s a stretch but I’m wondering if there’s any possible correlation there?
    My first thought is that's pretty unlikely considering the standardization of pin holes on boots, but I suppose one with a thicker sole could in theory apply more stress if the boot is constantly pushing upwards and fighting the pins. That's the only variance I can think of. Shouldn't happen either way.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    So I didn't have a chance to take a close look at this until today, but this appears to only be about the pins coming loose, not shearing off. Or am I missing something? As far as shearing is concerned, we still have no idea if there's a certain production run to be concerned about, correct? We do know the second gen silver pins have sheared and not the original black ones, correct? So you get to choose between the ones that wiggle loose or the ones that break off?

I'm considering just pulling them off my other setup at this point and getting another pair of tectons. I can deal with a heel piece breaking, but the toe is hell of a lot more serious.

compare a kingpin pin to a dynafit pin and nothing about the design looks amiss as opposed to say a salomon toe fitting or any Rad1 binding

Even when the pis were coming out in the first Kingpins they were not breaking, its just a pin like any other pin so I'm guessing something is rong with the pin materials

Frankly I would take the ones that came loose. They could only fall out when removing the foot from the binding so at least failure mode was not while skiing. Same PITA in terms of equipment failure far from home but significantly less risk of injury.

As to boots, mine were with dynafit beast.

I would also be assuaged to hear that all failures had been within a particular production run. Enough to stop feverishly considering a replacement for my freshly warrantied set, at least temporarily.

It also occurred to me that if marker is out of bindings to send on warranty, that could mean one of two things. They sold way more than anticipated or They're doing a lot of warranties.

Kingpin are popular I would bet everything has been ordered and shipped for the season and will sell out

I was in a hut last month where the guide was telling us back in the day a client had the early KP's with the loose pins so being fairly handy he did a forming adjustment on the arms with an axe and chopping block

Kingpin charging

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    So I didn't have a chance to take a close look at this until today, but this appears to only be about the pins coming loose, not shearing off. Or am I missing something? As far as shearing is concerned, we still have no idea if there's a certain production run to be concerned about, correct? We do know the second gen silver pins have sheared and not the original black ones, correct? So you get to choose between the ones that wiggle loose or the ones that break off?
    Yeah, I thought it was the earlier version pins that were breaking (if they didn't fall out), but going back through all of the posts maybe not... So they fixed one problem only to create another?

I don't have Kingpins but am here to report that I was on a hut trip and high in the alpine a few weeks ago when another guy on the trip snapped the toe pin on his. He was a bigger guy and it broke on the uphill. I don't know how/why or who is really at fault, but it was quite surprising. Luckily we were uphill from the hut and he was able to get back with help from a bunch of Voile straps and he finished the trip on a nice pair of loaner skis that the hut had.

I have dynafits and always bring a spare toe piece on hut trips. After this experience I will be continuing that practice...

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I don't have Kingpins but am here to report that I was on a hut trip and high in the alpine a few weeks ago when another guy on the trip snapped the toe pin on his. He was a bigger guy and it broke on the uphill. I don't know how/why or who is really at fault, but it was quite surprising. Luckily we were uphill from the hut and he was able to get back with help from a bunch of Voile straps and he finished the trip on a nice pair of loaner skis that the hut had.

I have dynafits and always bring a spare toe piece on hut trips. After this experience I will be continuing that practice...
    interesting on the up.....doesnt seem like nearly as much force on pins in walk mode as there would be in ski mode...

Maybe they were already stressed but hadn’t broken yet.

Concerning this is happening but also sucks that marker hasn’t done great on replacement parts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Would locked toes even help? Pins sheer in locked mode they still sheer and no worky.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    They would not help on the Kingpins. What I meant was that a big selling point if the Kingpins was that they did not prerelease like Dynafits so you don't have to lock your toes when skiing consequential terrain like pillows. This makes it safer for the rider. However if the pins break that takes away a lot of the safety advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    They would not help on the Kingpins. What I meant was that a big selling point if the Kingpins was that they did not prerelease like Dynafits so you don't have to lock your toes when skiing consequential terrain like pillows. This makes it safer for the rider. However if the pins break that takes away a lot of the safety advantage.
    gotcha...yeah pin sheering could really suck the life out of a day/person....

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    interesting on the up.....doesnt seem like nearly as much force on pins in walk mode as there would be in ski mode...
    I believe someone else reported it happened on the ascent earlier in this thread. Could make sense because you lock the toe for uphill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0552.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	226828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0551.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	226829

Welp this happened on the uphill as well... only like my 4th day out on them.

Ahhhhh marker living up to their high standards as usual

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

So strange, I had last year's and the year's before and charged on them. Airs, inbounds, and never pre-released at A din of 11. Never broke anything and were completely reliable.

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    So strange, I had last year's and the year's before and charged on them. Airs, inbounds, and never pre-released at A din of 11. Never broke anything and were completely reliable.

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app
    That's what I keep saying. Beyond year 1 with the loosening toe pins, the Kingpin seemed like a pretty solid product. Suer there were issues but nothing like now. As far as i can tell around my neck of the woods, the recent wave of problems has to do with this years models. Post patent issues, it's like they rushed production or something, used shoddy materials or whatever the case may be. You can tell this years bindings by the lack of those little stoppers on the toe piece for stepping in and also apparently the logo looks different on this years.

For the record I have this years and I have had no problems with mine but a dude i was skiing with this weekend has replaced 3 toe pieces and 1 heel piece and he was saying that he could feel the other heel piece going. His were 2017/2018 Kinpins.

Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0552.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	226828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0551.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	226829

Welp this happened on the uphill as well... only like my 4th day out on them.
    I'm sure this will offend, and that's unfortunate, but this really looks like riser abuse.

What constitutes riser abuse? Not being obtuse or anything, I am just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    That's what I keep saying. Beyond year 1 with the loosening toe pins, the Kingpin seemed like a pretty solid product. Suer there were issues but nothing like now. As far as i can tell around my neck of the woods, the recent wave of problems has to do with this years models. Post patent issues, it's like they rushed production or something, used shoddy materials or whatever the case may be. You can tell this years bindings by the lack of those little stoppers on the toe piece for stepping in and also apparently the logo looks different on this years.

For the record I have this years and I have had no problems with mine but a dude i was skiing with this weekend has replaced 3 toe pieces and 1 heel piece and he was saying that he could feel the other heel piece going. His were 2017/2018 Kinpins.
    One of the more plausible theories I've heard (not that I have ANY experience in manufacturing or patent litigation)

Aggressive stomping on them?

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Aggressive stomping on them?
    No offense taken at all. I could break an anvil with a rubber hammer. That’s one of the reasons why I got these bindings. I’m also a really big dude.

I will say that this happened with my toe locked in. So there’s only so much force you can create like that. It wasn’t intentional if that’s what you meant... the risers are meant to be stepped on repeatably so I didn’t really expect this to happen.

Hopefully they help me out and I’ll tip toe around on the things from here on out.

I'll add that after 2 months of waiting, Marker finally ponied up by sending a replacement pair...with the wrong brake size. 75-100mm, That'll totally fit my BG's, right? RIGHT?? I give up.

Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post

I will say that this happened with my toe locked in. ... the risers are meant to be stepped on repeatably
    Just to be clear. This happened while climbing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Kingpin charging

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Just to be clear. This happened while climbing?
    Correct. This happened while I was touring uphill.
    Last edited by josef; 03-05-2018 at 02:33 PM.